How much does monthly spend matter

tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: How much does monthly spend matter

@Aim_High wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

Ironically, I think my PIF strategy (and paying multiple times per month before statement cut) has worked against me in some respects. 

Yes your $440,000 worth of credit lines shows PIF and paying multiple times per month is not working !

Maybe it is related to how much available credit you have that is making new apps start at a lower limit.

Cutting all your cards to 20k, and getting rid of 10 cards might make a new card start at 20k. (Just a joke)

Just trying to show that there are a lot of factors issuers use, and different views of what they look at.

I do believe PIF and paying multiple times per month hurts if one is on a mission to maximize CL's. 

At the same time I believe nice CL's can be received with minimum spend, PIF and paying multiple times per month. (My own history with CC's)

Is it necessary or smart to maximize CL's is my question ?

It is one of the most sought after things on the Myfico forum and I have no understanding of why.

I cap all my cards at a level that is conservative for my income, credit scores and spend.

You sort of missed my point.  Some lenders value my high credit score, thick file, and high income and give me starting limits that fall in the middle of the pack relative to my other scores.  Then, other lenders give me limits that, compared to approvals posted my My Fico with profiles that may not be as strong as mine in some respects, have given me lower Starting Limits that surprised me.  So yes, my TCL of $440K coupled with low posted monthly utilization is the factor that I most recently have identified as to why some lenders are more generous with other applicants based on other factors.  I found that noteworthy and wanted to tell others about my experience.  And yes, I'm (partially) on a mission to raise my credit limits, so that bolded sentence above applies.  

Yes, high credit limits are a focus for many of us.  If you like your conservative limits, there's nothing wrong with that.  We all have our preferences and there is plenty of room for different schools of thought on My Fico.   As I have often pointed out, there is a LOT of background information and data points about other members that we don't see or understand, so comparing different profiles, lifestyles, and circumstances can be a pointless exercise.  I have several reasons for wanting to increase my limits as high as possible and I'm sure they are similar to many other My Fico members.  I'll try to explain some of my thought processes.

First, utilization padding.  As I've worked on my credit, I have become increasingly aware of how much utilization is used to evaluate credit profiles, and I think the impact is much too exaggerated from the FICO standpoint.  They give you "x" amount of credit to use, because that is what they think you can successfully manage, but then FICO lowers your score (uses it against you) if you run up balances, even though they know very little about your complete financial picture.   Very frustrating!!  So playing the game, utilization padding helps you to have a credit line of $20,000 meaning you can actually USE only $2,000 (about 10%) of it without sweating what you're doing to your score.  I'll never need or use even 1/10th of my credit lines, but it's nice to have them high for that very reason.  

Second, one of my credit score services mentioned that even though I had a very high FICO, that one factor holding me back from even higher was that my highest credit limit was lower than other people with similar scores.  Hmmmm..... So that got me to investigating and learning how to increase credit limits even higher.  I learned that it was true: my limits WERE lower.  I hadn't been pushing lenders to give me the higher limits and once I got more pushy, they quickly obliged.  In turn, my credit scores did go up somewhat higher.  And I've learned that even my relatively high limits are not nearly as high as many other people, thanks to My Fico.

Three, my household disposable income has risen significantly in recent years, and we are able to afford higher spending.  Even though we don't do it normally, it's nice to know if we want to splurge on a special vacation or other indulgence, that our credit limits will be there to support it safely.  High credit limits are no longer a danger.

Four, I'm at a point in my life where I have high credit scores and high income, so I'm in the driver's seat more than I've ever been in my life regarding my credit accounts.  It's fun to see how high I can drive my limits.  I'm a few years away from retirement where it may be more difficult to increase my limits once my income drops, so I'd like to push my available credit as high as I can now which will give me more options in the future.   Inflation will have a moderating effect on those high limits as I slip further into retirement. 

Which brings up Five.  I have enough decades of managing my credit that I trust my ability to handle high credit lines without screwing it up.  I wouldn't recommend just anyone do what I and others have done.  It's very risky for someone who is not disciplined and careful about their credit habits.  

Thanks @Aim_High for a detailed summary and sharing this. You brought up a lot of great points that I had not even thought of. 

Even though I'm collecting SS (started early), I went back to work. Glad I did too because I would have never gotten my high limits on only my SS income. So having the high limits now, coupled with the ability to get even higher limits before my income is slashed, is quite sobering. So at first my goal was to just get higher limits just to see how hogh I could go. Now there will be a rationale behind it. 😁

Splurging on a once-in-a-lifetime vacation. When I turn 70 in 2.5 years, I want to celebrate either on a 14-day cruise in Asia (Singapore, Vietnam, Tokyo highlights) or a 14-day safari in Kenya and Tanzania. And as you say, to be able to splurge like this and throwing it on a high CL card with 0% interest is exactly my plan and the way to go so that UT is not affected in the least--not even a bump in the road. WooHoo!

Thanks again for making me see outside of the box. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 31 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MacCreed wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

Is it necessary or smart to maximize CL's is my question ?

It is one of the most sought after things on the Myfico forum and I have no understanding of why.

I cap all my cards at a level that is conservative for my income, credit scores and spend.

I thought I was the only one who thinks chasing credit limit was like a competitive sport here!  

I chalk it up to every forum has its quirk and this is the quirk of this one. 

I go for maximizing my CLs, but I certainly don't overdo it. The reason is to keep utilization down on a heavy spend month. A travel card might be one I particularly want to maximize. I can put a lot of spend on my card at once. I opened Propel and got an initial CL of 10K. Too small. Sometimes we do travel with a group, and I book things for the entire family and get reimbursed. I did that with just 10K, and luckily had enough room to book everything, but that card got maxed out quickly. I would have maxed it out anyway to take advantage of the 0% on purchases. Normally, I wouldn't want to have 80% util on a card for a billing cycle if I don't have to. The line is now 18K. This time I might get up to 30% util. If the CL was 40K, it would be pretty insignificant at 12%.

Once I get to that point, I can use credit for any reason I wish, without ever thinking what my balances are. My CC balances can be 4K or 12K, I can just do what I need to do. If that day ever comes lol.

I'll admit, that's a very small benefit that I wouldn't stress over if I didn't have it.

Message 32 of 34
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

Yes, high credit limits are a focus for many of us ...  I have several reasons for wanting to increase my limits as high as possible and I'm sure they are similar to many other My Fico members.  I'll try to explain some of my thought processes.

First, utilization padding.  As I've worked on my credit, I have become increasingly aware of how much utilization is used to evaluate credit profiles, and I think the impact is much too exaggerated from the FICO standpoint.  They give you "x" amount of credit to use, because that is what they think you can successfully manage, but then FICO lowers your score (uses it against you) if you run up balances, even though they know very little about your complete financial picture.   Very frustrating!!  So playing the game, utilization padding helps you to have a credit line of $20,000 meaning you can actually USE only $2,000 (about 10%) of it without sweating what you're doing to your score.  I'll never need or use even 1/10th of my credit lines, but it's nice to have them high for that very reason.  

Second, one of my credit score services mentioned that even though I had a very high FICO, that one factor holding me back from even higher was that my highest credit limit was lower than other people with similar scores.  Hmmmm..... So that got me to investigating and learning how to increase credit limits even higher.  I learned that it was true: my limits WERE lower.  I hadn't been pushing lenders to give me the higher limits and once I got more pushy, they quickly obliged.  In turn, my credit scores did go up somewhat higher.  And I've learned that even my relatively high limits are not nearly as high as many other people, thanks to My Fico.

Three, my household disposable income has risen significantly in recent years, and we are able to afford higher spending.  Even though we don't do it normally, it's nice to know if we want to splurge on a special vacation or other indulgence, that our credit limits will be there to support it safely.  High credit limits are no longer a danger.

Four, I'm at a point in my life where I have high credit scores and high income, so I'm in the driver's seat more than I've ever been in my life regarding my credit accounts.  It's fun to see how high I can drive my limits.  I'm a few years away from retirement where it may be more difficult to increase my limits once my income drops, so I'd like to push my available credit as high as I can now which will give me more options in the future.   Inflation will have a moderating effect on those high limits as I slip further into retirement. 

Which brings up Five.  I have enough decades of managing my credit that I trust my ability to handle high credit lines without screwing it up.  I wouldn't recommend just anyone do what I and others have done.  It's very risky for someone who is not disciplined and careful about their credit habits.  

Thanks @Aim_High for a detailed summary and sharing this. You brought up a lot of great points that I had not even thought of. 

Even though I'm collecting SS (started early), I went back to work. Glad I did too because I would have never gotten my high limits on only my SS income. So having the high limits now, coupled with the ability to get even higher limits before my income is slashed, is quite sobering. So at first my goal was to just get higher limits just to see how hogh I could go. Now there will be a rationale behind it. 😁

Splurging on a once-in-a-lifetime vacation. When I turn 70 in 2.5 years, I want to celebrate either on a 14-day cruise in Asia (Singapore, Vietnam, Tokyo highlights) or a 14-day safari in Kenya and Tanzania. And as you say, to be able to splurge like this and throwing it on a high CL card with 0% interest is exactly my plan and the way to go so that UT is not affected in the least--not even a bump in the road. WooHoo!

Thanks again for making me see outside of the box. 

Glad that was helpful,  @CreditInspired !  I think some may assume members like me chase high credit lines simply due to ego or some unhealthy obsession with 'bigger is better.'  Lol Smiley Tongue  There are members on My Fico who just naturally get awarded high CLs by default due to high spend-and-pay.  Then there are others like myself who don't have such huge recurring spending needs that have good strategic reasons for wanting to raise our limits.  Your comments helped to validate my points, especially about the special vacation you have planned!  That's exactly what I'm talking about. 

I like the idea of having flexibility in my spending and credit needs and getting that all set up as a secondary part of retirement planning.   The effects of inflation over a typical 20-year retirement also is important to take into effect.  I just ran the numbers on an online inflation calculator and there has been a close to a 50% rate of inflation from 2000 to 2020.  So for example, if you retired at age 65 in 2000 with a $10,000 credit line, the buying power of that credit line has been eroded to an equivalent of about $6700 in today's dollars.   Smiley Surprised

*You can play with the numbers at this link. 

It's interesting to see how the economy has changed over time.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 33 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel cap 1 and discover pay the most attention and US Bank to a degree.
Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.