cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much does relationship with Amex help...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How much does relationship with Amex help...

I've wanted an AMEX PRG for a while but can't get one. I wonder if I pay off all of my credit card balances if it will get me over the edge... I'd still have like 30 inquiries and a 30 day late from two years ago, though. 

Regarding the relationship comments... I received a new credit card approval from my credit union with a 570 score based on my "long" relationshipw with them, so YMMV. 

Message 21 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think certain institutions value relationships more than others.

For example: bofa could care less about the relationship but first republic cares a lot.
Message 22 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

My AMEX journey started on Oct of 15 when I got approved for the EveryDay card with a 1k SL. I ran my expenses through that for a while, then in April of 16, I did the 3X CLI, which put me at 3K. In May, they emailed me, saying "Apply for the Platinum Card!!". I did and got that card (450 AF). Then in July, I cold apped for the PRG and was approved for that as well (no AF for the first year).

All I can say is that they will reward you if you 1. Use the card and 2. PIF whenever possible, even on the revolvers.

I'm just waiting for the 1 year mark when I can see what offers for PC or something pop up.

Message 23 of 35
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@creditguy wrote:
Your relationship with Amex is only a small part of of the approval process. Demonstrating responsible use with a charge card is different than responsible use with a revolver, hence the different UW standards. You've written a few threads on this subject recently and the advice is still the same, your overall profile especially utilization is what's going to decide your approval.

This exactly. A solid history with a lender is important, but there's no real evidence that "relationship" matters more than a good profile overall. In other words, good history outside of Amex is just as important as the history within Amex.

Don't overthink it. Pay your bills on time and be responsible. The rest will come in time.

Message 24 of 35
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Andy77 wrote:

My question...if I use the plat card and obviously PIF, how much of a bearing on other Amex products does my internal history with them have as far as getting approved for other cards with them ?

Don't rely on the "relationship" meme.  It may have some small bearing in some situations but the primary considerations with any creditor will be your credit profile and your income.  Relationship will not overrule those things.  Getting an approval for one product with a creditor does not guarantee future approvals with the creditor.  They will consider your credit profile and income at time of application, CLI request, APR reduction request etc.  If you qualify, you'll get it,  If you don't qualify you will not.

@Anonymous wrote:
So much for Amex prestige...

The problem isn't AmEx.  The problem is expecting prestige to come from a card or any brand.  Prestige doesn't come from a card.  Prestige doesn't come from buying something.  Any card is just a tool to use.  Make sure you're picking the right tool for the job.  There's nothing special about the Platinum.  If you can benefit from its benefits then it can be good fit.  If not, then get a card that is better suited to you.

Message 25 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. In general prestige is out the window these days. Now with the card readers I could be using an aspire visa or a first premier and the cashier would never know. That expensive annual fee on the amex platinum will bring no prestige into the minds of the Walmart cashier when I'm buying groceries. They just make sure that card goes through and if not I don't get my groceries. That's one area amex is in trouble. The days of impressing the hot chick at the bar with a gold amex are over.
Message 26 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I can't say, because my first Amex is only 2 months old, but between June and July they approved me for 2 charge cards, 2 personal revolvers, and a business revolver.

Nobody else has done that, certainly not Chase lol

Wow!!! Congrats!!!

Message 27 of 35
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
From my experience, relationship makes a HUGE difference. Not only with Amex but other lenders as well.
It's absurd to think that several years as a loyal customer that spends several thousand dollars a year and always pays on time counts for nothing. Of course your overall profile does count but it also counts when you spend lots of cash with these banks. I will NEVER believe that an existing relationship doesn't count... Total BS

I definitely agree with you. Last year, after couple denials thru out the rebuilding process, i finally got approved for a bce with only $500 limit, and $1000 at the card activation, and same day got denied for the PRG. The approval came in mid december. After using the bce and paying off, in april, 3 months later, with no change in the credit score or report, i applied and got approved for the Amex Green Card, Amex PRG, and Delta skymiles. All in one night. So the only thing changed was that i had a little bit of a relation with them. So i think it would be safe to say relationship makes a difference based on the lender. 

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 28 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think folks were saying that a relationship with a financial institution has no bearing on the outcome of a credit decision, but that it's less important than a credit profile. Just like payment history and utilization play a larger role in calculating our FICO scores than credit mix or new credit.
Message 29 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my first AmEx in April 2015. $500 starting credit line AmEx Everyday. I never got a CLI on that. Closed it this past May.

IMO, I think it played a roll and getting me the rest of AmEx's cards along with my credit profile too of course. I did snag all the AmEx's in my sig between this March and July with credit scores ranging between 634 and 702.

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.