cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much is 50K Citi thank you points worth as statement credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much is 50K Citi thank you points worth as statement credit?

title.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: How much is 50K Citi thank you points worth as statement credit?

I think its something like .5 CPP so that would be about 250 dollar, btw thats horrible use of points imo. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

like $12 lol

No, but each point is worth either $0.005 or $0.008 or something like that. Terrible value. Best option is to transfer out if you have a premier or prestige card. If you don't have one, bank points and eventually get one so you can transfer points to an airline. 

Message 3 of 17
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

like $12 lol

No, but each point is worth either $0.005 or $0.008 or something like that. Terrible value. Best option is to transfer out if you have a premier or prestige card. If you don't have one, bank points and eventually get one so you can transfer points to an airline. 

How are those points if you're trying to book a flight though if Citi will let people use them for that purpose?

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 4 of 17
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

like $12 lol

How are those points if you're trying to book a flight though if Citi will let people use them for that purpose?

If you aren't going to use it for travelling then redeem for GC, and sell them on one of those sites that are listed on giftcardgranny. you will at least get 85-90% value which is better than 50% value you would if you did it via statement credit. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

like $12 lol

If you aren't going to use it for travelling then redeem for GC, and sell them on one of those sites that are listed on giftcardgranny. you will at least get 85-90% value which is better than 50% value you would if you did it via statement credit. 

Or for full value, redeem for student loan or mortgage check and then it is worth $500

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

like $12 lol

Or for full value, redeem for student loan or mortgage check and then it is worth $500

It's possible to redeem for student loan...? I need that... How can it be done? I have great lakes.

Message 7 of 17
bradlin
Established Member

I have Citiassist loans and I didn't know you can redeem points towards the loan.

Message 8 of 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

like $12 lol

This only works if you eventually want a Premier or Prestige (AF) card. Those cards are not going to be useful for everyone, nor is transferring points to an airline helpful to everyone. Just because it offers good value doesn't mean it is a good value for those who have no need for it. Remember, not everyone travels enough for that to make sense. OP didn't mention whether they had Premier or Prestige though so really, if they have them, that is the best "value" strictly speaking, yes, but it's only the best value if travel redemptions are the goal.

To answer the question OP I would opt for gift cards or the mortgage/loan redemption. I don't know the details but I think you can kind of cheat the mortgage redemption thing and get full value even without actually applying it to a mortgage. It's a shame, though. Shouldn't have to go through hoops to get value of your points.

Message 9 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@bradlin wrote:

I have Citiassist loans and I didn't know you can redeem points towards the loan.

You have to call and ask for a student loan redemption.   You do it in 2,500 = $25 increments.   They send YOU then check, made out to  the instituion you name, and it is your responsiblity to send it in as partial payment (or extra payment or whatever)

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.