cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much over the min payment do cc companies want to see?

tag
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: How much over the min payment do cc companies want to see?

I borrowed $18K from Chase at 0% (used for rare coin collection)

My minimum payment is $165 per month, this is what I payed  towards last month's statement.

Do I need to pay that much, probably not .. but I am pretty sure it keep's Chase happy,

as well as my other lenders who are Soft pulling My reports.

Message 11 of 12
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Re: How much over the min payment do cc companies want to see?

I have about 4500 on a 0% BT promo on my Amex ED (for 15 months starting last Feb). The min payment was 1% of my balance, and I was rounding up to $50. That apparently spooked them and they doubled my min to 2% of the balance starting about 4 months ago. This is on a card with a 19k limit, and my total limits on Amex cards are over 50k. I also put over $2k/month on my Gold card and pay every month before my statement cuts. I've been working on the balance on my BOA BT, that will be paid shortly and then I'll start making large payments to Amex and maybe their computer will be happy with me again.

Maybe the issuers are getting more trigger happy. I spent years making min payments on maxed out cards (and overall UTI over 75%) with both Amex and Chase with never a hint that they were concerned (perhaps because I was also paying interest back then). Now my overall UTI is 5% and the ED at 25% UTI is my only card above 8.9%. 

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.