cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much to ask for in CLI request for Capital One Quicksilver?

danica
New Member

How much to ask for in CLI request for Capital One Quicksilver?

I have a Capital One Quicksilver card with a $10k limit. I use the card frequently, and make large payments every month, while still carrying a bit of a balance. After some unexpected events at the end of the year, I ran up to the limit, but then brought it down to ~$4k a few weeks ago. I'm in the process of buying a house, and I'd like to get a CLI to help nudge my utilization ratio down and my credit score a bit higher. I've had the Quicksilver card for almost two years, and have yet to ask for a CLI. Two questions: Does it seem like I'd be likely to get a CLI? And, how much should I request? An extra $5k would really help my ratios, but I don't want to ask for too much and get denied for that reason...

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: How much to ask for in CLI request for Capital One Quicksilver?

I would ask for $9,900 more.  lol.  They will counter if you qualify for less.

 

It is a SL so there is no risk to your CR.

 

I received a $9k cli with them once.  

 

It is not common, but most people complaining about C1 did not have a $10k SL.

 

Check prequals for Venture ($5k min) also, if you qualify, then you would probably get $10k or more on a new C1 card if you had to go that route.

 

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $400k unsecured credit in 2021.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

5% Rotating - Discover                         5%-20% - Amazon & Lowes                   3-6% Groceries - NFCU & Amex Preferred
3-5% Gas - NFCU & Ducks Unl            4% Dining & Entertain - Savor               3% Travel & Hotels - Flagship, Propel, & Uber
2% Everything - Flagship, Synchrony, Evergreen, & Venture



Message 2 of 19
danica
New Member

Re: How much to ask for in CLI request for Capital One Quicksilver?

Thanks! I've also been considering applying for Savor, since I actually want that card (do a lot of eating out), but I'm concerned about the ding from getting a new card so close to applying for a mortgage. I don't want to cancel out the benefit of better ratios b/c of the new card...

Message 3 of 19
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: How much to ask for in CLI request for Capital One Quicksilver?


@danica wrote:

Thanks! I've also been considering applying for Savor, since I actually want that card (do a lot of eating out), but I'm concerned about the ding from getting a new card so close to applying for a mortgage. I don't want to cancel out the benefit of better ratios b/c of the new card...


Yep.  Makes sense.  Go for the CLI.  

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $400k unsecured credit in 2021.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

5% Rotating - Discover                         5%-20% - Amazon & Lowes                   3-6% Groceries - NFCU & Amex Preferred
3-5% Gas - NFCU & Ducks Unl            4% Dining & Entertain - Savor               3% Travel & Hotels - Flagship, Propel, & Uber
2% Everything - Flagship, Synchrony, Evergreen, & Venture



Message 4 of 19
FinStar
Moderator

Re: How much to ask for in CLI request for Capital One Quicksilver?

If you're in the process of obtaining a mortgage, refrain from any credit applications or any extensions of credit that may result in a HP.

Typically, any Capital One CLI requests are SP.

You can definitely consider going for the Savor once your mortgage has closed and funded (keys in hand) 😁
Message 5 of 19
Overmedicated
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

Re: How much to ask for in CLI request for Capital One Quicksilver?


@FinStar wrote:
If you're in the process of obtaining a mortgage, refrain from any credit applications or any extensions of credit that may result in a HP.

Typically, any Capital One CLI requests are SP.

You can definitely consider going for the Savor once your mortgage has closed and funded (keys in hand) 😁

Agreed.  No new applications at all until the keys are in your hand.

FICO 8
Message 6 of 19
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

Re: How much to ask for in CLI request for Capital One Quicksilver?

Definitely update the post if/when you do get the CLI. I am in a similar situation. My limit is currently $10250 and am eligible for an increase next month. I routinely put >$6K a month on the card but watch it like a hawk, pay before statement cut, and sometimes pay two or three times per month so that I never report over 30%. It's a PITA. I'm planning on asking for a minimum of a $10K increase and would appreciate knowing in advance what I might expect.

 


Message 7 of 19
Dirge
New Contributor

Re: How much to ask for in CLI request for Capital One Quicksilver?

As people have said, Cap1 knows how much they'll give you. Personally I don't think it matters what you ask for. But if you're worried about asking for too much, ask for less than what you really want. If you qualify for more, they'll give you more. My last two CLIs for my QS, I requested $1,500 each time. And each time, Cap1 came back with $3,000 and asked me if I'd accept THAT instead. Which I happily did  :-)  $3,500 > $6,500 > $9,500. 

Message 8 of 19
UncleB
Moderator

Re: How much to ask for in CLI request for Capital One Quicksilver?


@Dirge wrote:

As people have said, Cap1 knows how much they'll give you. Personally I don't think it matters what you ask for. But if you're worried about asking for too much, ask for less than what you really want. If you qualify for more, they'll give you more. My last two CLIs for my QS, I requested $1,500 each time. And each time, Cap1 came back with $3,000 and asked me if I'd accept THAT instead. Which I happily did  :-)  $3,500 > $6,500 > $9,500. 


+1

 

If you apply for your CLI using the app, it won't ask you how much you want.  (At least on Android.) Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 19
ImTheDevil
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: How much to ask for in CLI request for Capital One Quicksilver?

Not on iOS either. I’ve asked both on my iPhone and on a PC. The iPhone has no provision for an amount to be entered by the user.


Platinum NPSL | Rose Gold NPSL | BCP | Delta Gold | Hilton Surpass | Hilton Honors | FNBO Prime Visa | PenFed PCR | Navy cashRewards | Navy Platinum | Apple | IT Cash | IT Chrome | GHSFCU Visa Plat | Quicksilver | Target | VS | Home Depot | Lowes | Sams MC | Firestone | Overstock | Kohl’s | Key Bank auto loan (2017 Audi A6 Premium Plus S-Line)





Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.