Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much utilization is to much for CLI - Discover

tag
accjohn1990
Contributor

How much utilization is to much for CLI - Discover

I just got a discover it card with 5k limit.  The card has a 0% apr for 14 months and I would like to make the most out of that apr.  So, I want to carry a balance, but I also want a CLI to maximize the 0% APR.  At what point will my utilization hurt my cli chances? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How much utilization is to much for CLI - Discover

There's no way to answer that. It'll depend on your own credit profile, scores, utilization and payment history across your accounts, etc, along with the big X factor - Discover's algorithms. 

Message 2 of 4
Doodlebug30
Established Contributor

Since the pandemic hit, discover has changed their rules. New accounts will not be eligible for a CLI until after the first year. & There is actually some evidence to suggest it's actually the 13th statement cut. So you will have to stick with your 5k limit for the 0% but I'm sure if used and paid on time they will give u a cli when the time comes!

Message 3 of 4
delaney1
Established Contributor

I was approved for $5100 back in the summer of '19. I asked for a CLI twice during the first six months or so, but was only offered $200 each time, so I turned  it down. Since I was taking advantage of the 0% offer on the account my statement balance each month was about $3500. In month 13 I got an auto CLI of $5k.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.