cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often do card balances update on credit reports?

tag
CBrent
New Contributor

How often do card balances update on credit reports?

I posted this question in the 'rebuilding your credit' forum as well, but it may be more appropriate here. Essentially, I'm wondering if a CR reflects card utilization in real time, or only the balance reported in the most recent statement.  I ask because last night I purchased an Experian CR and it lists the current balance on my Capital One card, not the balance listed in my December statement. My January statement isn't scheduled to be issued for another week. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How often do card balances update on credit reports?

@CBrent wrote:

I posted this question in the 'rebuilding your credit' forum as well, but it may be more appropriate here. Essentially, I'm wondering if a CR reflects card utilization in real time, or only the balance reported in the most recent statement.  I ask because last night I purchased an Experian CR and it lists the current balance on my Capital One card, not the balance listed in my December statement. My January statement isn't scheduled to be issued for another week. 

Then Cap 1 must have reported recently. The balances reported on your credit report are not real time. They are only updated when each creditor submits your balance and info to the CRAs, which USUALLY happens once a month a few days after your statement cuts, although some report more often and at different times.

Message 2 of 8
newhis
Valued Contributor

Chase also report when you pay your balance to $0, so even if you let $100 report and then pay to $0, Chase will report 2 times.

Message 3 of 8
CBrent
New Contributor

So, I can answer my own question after calling Capital One. Last week I disputed a Capital One item on my CR. When Capital One responded, the response included all current information, inlcuding my Capital One balance at that time, which Experian then used to update my CR. 

Thank you for your response, -NewGuy-. I guess the lesson is (1) Know your statement dates and (2) know that a dispute also might update your credit report, so make sure your balances are all paid down. Fortunately my balance was under 10% at the time. 

Message 4 of 8
CBrent
New Contributor

Thanks! I had no idea. And I have a new Chase card, so that's good information. 

@newhis wrote:

Chase also report when you pay your balance to $0, so even if you let $100 report and then pay to $0, Chase will report 2 times.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It depends on the card. Credit one credit  reports all the time to the reports.  Some cards report once, some report other times .

Message 6 of 8
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@CBrent wrote:

So, I can answer my own question after calling Capital One. Last week I disputed a Capital One item on my CR. When Capital One responded, the response included all current information, inlcuding my Capital One balance at that time, which Experian then used to update my CR. 

Thank you for your response, -NewGuy-. I guess the lesson is (1) Know your statement dates and (2) know that a dispute also might update your credit report, so make sure your balances are all paid down. Fortunately my balance was under 10% at the time. 

No problem. Statement date is the balance that will be reported most times. However, as someone else said, Chase has been known to report paying down to zero. I think that US Bank reports differently or on a different schedule or something as well. But your balance on your statement date is what will be reported in most situations.

Glad you got it all figured out Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
newhis
Valued Contributor

Discover will not report your statement balance if you get a CLI for that month, they will report the next statement your new limit.

I think BofA secured card will report your info mid cycle if you add money to get a higher limit (also it will cost a HP).

I guess some banks will report also if you do some other changes, like address, due date, ...

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.