cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often do you apply to a new card? Give me your experience.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How often do you apply to a new card? Give me your experience.

@NRB525 wrote:

A person with a well aged, thick file isn't really in the market for a spree. A spree is considered by folks new to credit, who want to add several accounts at once to start them aging all together.

I've got a thick profile dating back to 2007 and started off with some foundation cards to hold things up when building onto them.  Over the years I was a bit gun shy to an extent in adding cards to the mix taking the MF cautious approach.  FF to 2017... I was killing off 2-3 cards and wanted to fill the spots with something new.  I added CFU/Amazon and BOA to the mix.(65K in CL's vs cutting 3 cards w/ 11K)  So, experimenting with the BOA card and getting a CLI  ~3 months into it almost doubling the CL I was content.  Nov rolls around and I take a stab at Chase for a CLI not really thinking about it and they handed a 5K bump for the effort.  Dec comes around and my mindset changed to mroe of a Mahraja take them down with force approach.  So, I started hunting down bonus info and narrowed it down to a few cards and picked up CSP (mind you the 5K CLI before less than a couple weeks.... 25K+ approval), tagged Citi for a Premier 16K, and called it a day w/ the MSR for ~$1000 in bonuses.  I started working on a little personal project and though hey, this bonus thing works well to offset costs.... went digging around again and decided to USE USB for $300 off the project and nailed them for 2 cards.  May rolls around and it's been 6 months since nailing Citi and go back and pick up a DC. Dec 2018 comes around and pick up Propel and Amex CM for the free money and throw in an upgrade for BCE->BCP for $250.  Still not done... March-April 2019 pick up BBT x 2, BBVA, Regions, Barclay's in the span of 30 days.... 

TLDR.... 15 accounts over 24 months $300K in additional CL's.  Is it a "spree" ?  

Message 51 of 60
OmarR
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

A person with a well aged, thick file isn't really in the market for a spree. A spree is considered by folks new to credit, who want to add several accounts at once to start them aging all together.

Any rewards card that is really interesting ( for someone with a thick file ) comes with a huge SUB spend to earn the SUB. Stacking ~5 of those at once requires some intense spend for 90 days, which is why many of us wait 6 months or more for cards. As well, the limits now placed by many banks with attractive SUB makes it very important to NOT spree. The chances are good that the well-aged file already has landed on some quality earning cards, further reducing the incentive to dilute. Periodic SUB harvesting is realistic, but see "SUB Spend requirement" above.

On the other hand, building credit with cards that have no significant SUB, to just add to the file, there's not much opportunity cost if not all those cards get significant use.

I definitely agree with you.

Even if a thick filed seasoned fico'er is, say, switching from a cash back based profile to a travel-based UR profile, they are still usually going to spread it, especially if it means not stacking all your SUB's in the same 90 days.

But if no SUB's, which a seasoned fico'er would probably AVOID, than I can see it. But I see those examples as outliers and silly. As someone once put it.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 52 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarR wrote:

But I see those examples as outliers and silly.

I know someone that 2 years ago did his first ever spree at the age of 73 with an AoOA of > 50 years.  Silly outlier.

Message 53 of 60
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

TLDR.... 15 accounts over 24 months $300K in additional CL's.  Is it a "spree" ?  

As I see it, the distinguishing feature of a spree is that the last application is reviewed (and ideally approved) before the new TLs start to report...the goal being to (temporarily) mask the extent of one's aggressive credit seeking.

Of course, an approval does not mean immunity from AA.

But I would call the March-April 2019 part a spree.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 54 of 60
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am curious to hear how often everybody applies for a new credit card. Do you have a strategy when applying to new cards? Do you garden? If so, what time period. I am trying to learn as much as possible and would love to hear everybody's strategies. This could include your experience, what cards you got and what you did to prepare for the apps.

I apply when I'm not getting the best reward for that catagory. Cards evolve so it's necessary to make adjustments to maximize rewards. I never apply for a card just because it's "pretty".  Smiley Very Happy

Message 55 of 60
Andypanda
Established Contributor

@OmarR wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Any rewards card that is really interesting ( for someone with a thick file ) comes with a huge SUB spend to earn the SUB. Stacking ~5 of those at once requires some intense spend for 90 days, which is why many of us wait 6 months or more for cards. As well, the limits now placed by many banks with attractive SUB makes it very important to NOT spree. The chances are good that the well-aged file already has landed on some quality earning cards, further reducing the incentive to dilute. Periodic SUB harvesting is realistic, but see "SUB Spend requirement" above.

On the other hand, building credit with cards that have no significant SUB, to just add to the file, there's not much opportunity cost if not all those cards get significant use.

I definitely agree with you.

Even if a thick filed seasoned fico'er is, say, switching from a cash back based profile to a travel-based UR profile, they are still usually going to spread it, especially if it means not stacking all your SUB's in the same 90 days.

But if no SUB's, which a seasoned fico'er would probably AVOID, than I can see it. But I see those examples as outliers and silly. As someone once put it.

Also factor in maximizing first year disco cash match not overlapping with other subs

Message 56 of 60
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am curious to hear how often everybody applies for a new credit card. Do you have a strategy when applying to new cards? Do you garden? If so, what time period. I am trying to learn as much as possible and would love to hear everybody's strategies. This could include your experience, what cards you got and what you did to prepare for the apps.

My strategy is to not apply for any new cards. I deviate from it now and then, like every month or two.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 57 of 60
JamP
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:
Do you want the 2015 version of me, or the 2019 version?

I was thinking the same thing lol

I used to apply when the Big MyFico Flavor of the Month hit and I thought I may need that card. Smiley Happy

Now I rarely ever apply for a card. Don't really need them. Need to let what I have age.

I may only apply for a card to possibly replace one in my list or if I really need one and can't get one of my current cards to fit the bill.

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 58 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I tend to apply when I have big items to pay off and might as well collect a bonus for doing something I'm going to do anyway.

Such as end of the year for property taxes, etc. 

Pretty much this.  I also look at deadlines on SUB offers I am interested in.  Generally works out to applying every 3 months or so.

Message 59 of 60
Creditsen
Regular Contributor

I started off with almost no credit history. Throughout most of my 20s I only paid in cash or debit and the only loans I had were student loans which I paid on time. I thought I was on my parent's credit card building credit quietly but that was not the case! At 27 I realized I was very behind in building credit. I applied for my first credit card, Chase Freedom, in November 2016. I had no reputation with chase prior to that card. They approved me for a CL $1000. My Credit score was around 670s. In August 2017 I applied for a Chase Sapphire after paying early or ontime for that 9 month period and was approved for a CL of $12,000. My credit score moved up to the 750s paying the two Chase cards early or ontime in full for that time period. I let those be my only cards for 2 years until last month. I started spending more in preperation for a big expense and Chase increased the CL of both cards.  Even with the CL increase I applied for 3 different cards to prepare for big expenses this summer. All three cards were approved (One for $30,000, one for $2700, and one for $5,000). So my timeline was...

1 Application 11/2016 Approved

1 Application 8/2017 Approved

3 Applications 7/2019 Approved

I think being very patient with the first two cards really paid off for applying to new cards recently. It was hard to resist applying for new cards but it helped my score stay reasonably high despite lots of inquiries by new apartment rentals as I moved often. We will see how my credit score is affected by the 3 applications at once as I'm sure it will decrease. But my CL has tripled and that was a goal of mine. I don't plan on getting more cards until my credit score bounces back or I have a large expense (usually travel) coming and could benefit from sign up bonus.

Message 60 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.