cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often should I use each card to keep them from closing?

tag
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: How often should I use each card to keep them from closing?

@Anonymous wrote:
So do you think an 80$ bill taken off 10k Citi line and PIF every month will keep the account "active enough" in order to keep the line from being cut?

Lexa -

We are talking about activity to keep an account open, not to avoid a CLD. CLD's are related to the individual circumstances of an account. Sometimes no amount of activity is sufficient to avoid a CLD.

Message 11 of 20
DI
Super Contributor

I'll figure something out to keep my accounts active.
Message 12 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

lol, if you're in Miami, there should be plenty of things to pay for.

Congrats on your move!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 20
DI
Super Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
lol, if you're in Miami, there should be plenty of things to pay for.

Congrats on your move!

Not there yet.  I won't be there until August 2010.  I plan and contemplate things way ahead of time. It keeps me focused.  

Message 14 of 20
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

I just used my Sears card for the first time in 23 months--it was still active. Your experience may vary, but I would say you are probably ok letting your Sears card stay dormant for 18 months.

@DI wrote:

After July 2010, I plan to relocate for school and won't be using no more than one card.  Do I risk my cards being closed without using them for a year and a half?

AMEX Blue Cash 

Bank of America World Points

Capital One Platinum Rewards

Citi Platinum Select

Discover More Cashback

GM HSBC

Kroger 123 Rewards

PenFed Cah Rewards

Sears Store Card

State Farm Cash Rewards

Target Visa

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 15 of 20
DI
Super Contributor

@cobaltnv wrote:
I just used my Sears card for the first time in 23 months--it was still active. Your experience may vary, but I would say you are probably ok letting your Sears card stay dormant for 18 months.

Thanks for letting me know that.  I don't think I'll be needing any new tires any time soon.  Maybe, I'll charge a new car battery from there if I decide to not get it from Wal-Mart.  

Message 16 of 20
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

cobaltnv wrote:

Did they ask you any questions at POS when you used your card after so long? Did you get any impression that the account had been suspended and needed to be reactivated?

Message 17 of 20
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

cobaltnv wrote:

Did they ask you any questions at POS when you used your card after so long? Did you get any impression that the account had been suspended and needed to be reactivated?

I used it for an online purchase (not with sears) with no trouble. I should mention that this is the Sears Mastercard, not the store card. 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 18 of 20
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Perfect. Thank you!
Message 19 of 20
DI
Super Contributor

I just thought about what I can charge to my Sears' card since I haven't used it since Sept.   I need more cologne. Smiley Surprised
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.