Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often should i use my best buy store card to keep it active

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How often should i use my best buy store card to keep it active

I'm really not trying to put any major use into the card since my CL of $600 is caped an i will never receive a CLI. How often should i use the card to keep in active. The last time i used it was last month don't plan on using it at all this month.  Not gonna close the card cause there is no AF but i will never apply for a HSBC backed card again.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: How often should i use my best buy store card to keep it active

i've seen posts of closure indicating less than 3 months of non use.  i would try to use it at least every other month (or even once a month really) if possible since hsbc seems to leading the pack on snap closures (in any case you wouldn't want to let it get past 89 days of nonuse if you wanna keep it for sure) good for you for taking a stand on hsbc.  i am sometimes baffled by their apparent popularity considering how they handle accts.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:
i've seen posts of closure indicating less than 3 months of non use.  i would try to use it at least every other month (or even once a month really) if possible since hsbc seems to leading the pack on snap closures (in any case you wouldn't want to let it get past 89 days of nonuse if you wanna keep it for sure) good for you for taking a stand on hsbc.  i am sometimes baffled by their apparent popularity considering how they handle accts.

I wonder can you use the card to buy candy or soda they have at the registers? If so that would be great use for the card lol

Message 3 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Yep, it will work on peanut M&M's. Smiley Happy

I've gotten away with going as long as 4-5 months without using it, but I'm moving it up to every 3 months or so. (The parking is terrible, so I hate going there.)

I think that they're a bit more lenient with store cards than they are with their bank cards, but in this day and age, my philosophy is use it or lose it.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@score_building wrote:

I wonder can you use the card to buy candy or soda they have at the registers? If so that would be great use for the card lol

Last time I was there I spent $2.12 on paperclips and a paperclip holder. For a couple of weeks prior to that purchase I had trouble finding paperclips everytime I wanted one, so a smart cheap purchase that kept my card active.

Message 5 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I thought most store cards will never close out, they will just go dormant on credit report or lower cl but would stay open.

I know I'm lucky to use my American Eagle card once a year and they have never closed or cld it. 

Message 6 of 14
score_building
Senior Contributor

i think like you and HTSU are saying they're probably more lenient with store cards, they're wicked fast w/ bank cards apparently, i think i mistook the time frame for store cards.  hsbc is a scary beast, lol.
Message Edited by score_building on 03-15-2009 09:28 PM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 7 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I agree, what flew in the past is not the same in this time frame... use your cards every 3 months to be safe! speaking of it, I need to go buy something at AE tomorrow! lol
Message 8 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Creditaddict wrote:
I agree, what flew in the past is not the same in this time frame... use your cards every 3 months to be safe! speaking of it, I need to go buy something at AE tomorrow! lol

They've trained us well, haven't they?

We've turned into little Pavlovian credit dogs, obediently using our plastic to keep it alive.

Luckily, we can always use paper clips and light bulbs (Home Depot.) And I have two daughters in their 20's, so that keeps J.Crew happy. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

payed off my BB store card about 3-4 months ago and have yet to use it and it's still open though I may charge something on it to get it some use though to save the age.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.