Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often to apply?

tag
NTCCole
Established Member

How often to apply?

I am coming up on my 2nd year in the credit game and wanted to know. How often should I wait between approvals to apply for another card I want?

Began building April 2017

8 REPLIES 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: How often to apply?

If you go by Chase's 5/24 rule, once every 6 months.

Message 2 of 9
NTCCole
Established Member

Thanks for the info. I have other accounts with Chase but, im staying away from the credit cards for now. I'm aware of that 5/24 rule.

Began building April 2017

Message 3 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

Generally apps should be few and far between.

The more important question is, which cards do you have, and which cards are on your list to apply for eventually? The goal cards are those that you think might provide the cash back or rewards / benefits you can use long term.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 9
firefox100
Valued Contributor

I would first try to get your cl increase on some of your cards before I would get any more cards. What is your Fico scores, make sure that when you do increase that it is soft pull.

Message 5 of 9
Lucifer
Frequent Contributor

App Spreeeeeeeeeeeeee.....

Let's go !

Ok how about an Amex charge card(or maybe a BCE?), a citi rewards card like dbl cash, cap 1 QS ----   ooh maybe a nice low interest CU card.

Oh the fun we'll have  :-)

Stay Liquid My Friends...

Starting Score: F8 3xx
Current Score: F8 800+
Goal Score: F8 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@NTCCole wrote:

Thanks for the info. I have other accounts with Chase but, im staying away from the credit cards for now. I'm aware of that 5/24 rule.

My point was a lender like Chase expects the average person to not apply for credit more than once every 6 months, hence their rule. It's not just them. Us bank and Barclay also expect 6 mos between apps, and they're not the only ones. 

Message 7 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@NTCCole wrote:

I am coming up on my 2nd year in the credit game and wanted to know. How often should I wait between approvals to apply for another card I want?

Apply when you have the actual need for additional credit. Usually longer periods between apps yield better outcomes, but it all really boils down to individual profile.

Message 8 of 9
Five6Two
Frequent Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@NTCCole wrote:

Apply when you have the actual need for additional credit. Usually longer periods between apps yield better outcomes, but it all really boils down to individual profile.

+1, I wish I had spread out my last two apps over 6 months, but my profile supported the SUB now versus the future. Do what you want, but be advised the feedback here is to help support you have a stronger profile. 

Siggy under construction Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.