cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How reliable is card match?

SDMarik
Established Member

How reliable is card match?

I just filled out the pre-qual stuff on card match to check for any offers. I wound up being pre-qualified for the 125,000 point bonus on Platinum Amex.

I have a lot of travel coming up and this card is super attractive right now, especially with that bonus.

My question is how reliable is Card Match with their pre-qualification, I am pretty picky about hard pulls and don't want to run one unless I'm reasonably sure this goes through. Also pre-qualified for it on the Amex site.

I do have a couple of baddies on the report, with my most recent missed payment almost 2 years ago.

Right now I'm sitting at

EX: 757

TU: 748

EQ: 710

Utilization currently at 5% 

Any input would be appreciated!

Current Scores:
EX Fico8: 762
TU Fico8: 767
EQ Fico8: 752

Goal Scores:
EX Fico8: 810
TU Fico8: 805
EQ Fico8: 800
currently in the garden until 12/2020
10 REPLIES 10
TampaBAY86
New Contributor

Re: How reliable is card match?

@SDMarik wrote:

I just filled out the pre-qual stuff on card match to check for any offers. I wound up being pre-qualified for the 125,000 point bonus on Platinum Amex.

I have a lot of travel coming up and this card is super attractive right now, especially with that bonus.

My question is how reliable is Card Match with their pre-qualification, I am pretty picky about hard pulls and don't want to run one unless I'm reasonably sure this goes through. Also pre-qualified for it on the Amex site.

I do have a couple of baddies on the report, with my most recent missed payment almost 2 years ago.

Right now I'm sitting at

EX: 757

TU: 748

EQ: 710

Utilization currently at 5% 

Any input would be appreciated!

I'm not sure about card match, but if you were pre-qualified on the Amex site, you are pretty likely to get approved for the Platinum.  Did you have any other pre-qualified offers on Amex?

Message 2 of 11
FinStar

I would say for the best odds, you're better off using the AmEx pre-qualification portal vs Card Match.  Although there's been some reported successes going the CM route, it's been mostly stronger, solid profiles so your outcome will vary.  

Message 3 of 11
ZeroQuest
New Contributor

Ironically I was wondering the same thing today and did some searches. Seems it's just as reliable as Credit Karma -- i.e. not at all. Mine is showing pretty much every citi and at least a dozen other cards I know I won't qualify for until my final drops off EQ and EX.

I would do as suggested above - try for an Amex pre-qualify.

Message 4 of 11
SDMarik
Established Member

Yes, on the Amex site there were a bunch of pre-qual offers when I filled it out.

Current Scores:

Goal Scores:
Message 5 of 11
SDMarik
Established Member

Amex Platinum 125,000 welcome bonus

Just ran a pre-qual for Amex and it came back with a pre-qualified offer for the Platinum card with a 125,000 point welcome bonus.

Right now I am sitting at

EX:761

TU:758

EQ:710 (maybe this one just hasnt updated yet?)

2 Inquiries on EX past 12 months

3 new accounts on EX past 12 months 

My current Util is <5%

I have 5 missed on my report, with the most recent one being almost 2 years ago. No other derogs of any kind.

What are the odds that missed payment from 2019 gets me denied after I have been pre-qual'd? I obviously want to pull the trigger on this and capitalize on that welcome bonus, but I don't want the hard pull to just get denied.

I am probably going to apply either way, but any insight would be great!

Current Scores:

Goal Scores:
Message 6 of 11
Blue_Collar
Contributor

Re: Amex Platinum 125,000 welcome bonus

YMMV but concensus is AMEX pre-quals are solid

Message 7 of 11
TampaBAY86
New Contributor

@SDMarik wrote:

Just ran a pre-qual for Amex and it came back with a pre-qualified offer for the Platinum card with a 125,000 point welcome bonus.

Right now I am sitting at

EX:761

TU:758

EQ:710 (maybe this one just hasnt updated yet?)

2 Inquiries on EX past 12 months

3 new accounts on EX past 12 months 

My current Util is <5%

I have 5 missed on my report, with the most recent one being almost 2 years ago. No other derogs of any kind.

What are the odds that missed payment from 2019 gets me denied after I have been pre-qual'd? I obviously want to pull the trigger on this and capitalize on that welcome bonus, but I don't want the hard pull to just get denied.

I am probably going to apply either way, but any insight would be great!

For the Platinum, you have a very good chance.  Were any of the pre-qualified cards a core Amex revolver?  Blue Cash, Everyday, Cash Magnet.  If so, you should have no issues.  Those have the most stringent uw requirements in the line up.  Hope this helps and good luck!

Message 8 of 11
SDMarik
Established Member

I was also pre-qualified for Blue Cash Preferred, 0% intro APR then 13.99% - 22.99%

Current Scores:

Goal Scores:
Message 9 of 11
tags03
Established Member

Every time I have used it, I got approved! I used it back in December for Discover since the Discover pre-qual site never turned anything up. Took a chance and I was approved for Discover IT with a $6000 starting limit. I had 4 paid chargeoffs and a slew of lates from 2017 (none since).  Tried my luck again in February when some of my chargeoffs disappeared with Amex. Nothing on their pre-qual site but card match said preapproved for Hilton (all 3) and Delta (all 3). Took the plunge and was approved for Hilton Surpass with a $1000 limit which was fine by me since I was able to get my foot in the door. Got a $150 statement credit two days after using the card and then earned like $50 in statement credits with Amex Offers! Needless to say card match has been good to me!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.