Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How soon is too soon to complete the Chase Trifecta? Recently approved for CSR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How soon is too soon to complete the Chase Trifecta? Recently approved for CSR

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on these forums and I've gotten a lot of great info from here Smiley Happy but I've tried searching for this question and I haven't gotten a concrete answer.

My credit history:

Discover It - 10/16, $10,000 CL

BofA Travel Rewards - 11/17, $5.500 CL

Chase Freedom - 12/17, $6000 CL

Citi DC - 03/18, $4000 CL

Barclays Uber Visa - 03/18, $5000 CL

Chase Amazon - 04/18, $2000 CL

Target Card - 05/18, $2400 CL

Amex Cash Magnet - 06/18, $6000 CL

Citi Costco - 07/18, $8500 CL

Amex Everyday - 11/18, $4000 CL

Chase Sapphire Reserve - very recently, $10,000 CL

I was approved at 9/24 (3/12, 0/6) for the CSR with in-branch approval. Equifax shows 17 hard pulls, Experian 14 hard pulls. Scores 720+ depending on the bureau. I am looking to grab the Freedom Unlimited to complete the trifecta but I don't want to poke the bear and have Chase shut down all my accounts, because it seems like I got lucky with the in-branch preapproval at 9/24. How long is an ideal time to wait before trying to app for the FU? 6 months? I've seen the issues with Chase shutting down accounts for applying for too many cards at once so I don't want to be in the same predicament. 

11 REPLIES 11
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: How soon is too soon to complete the Chase Trifecta? Recently approved for CSR

@Anonymous 

I would not try for the third, you may very well end up with none.

Don't push your luck, seriously................................

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 12
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: How soon is too soon to complete the Chase Trifecta? Recently approved for CSR

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Anonymous 

I would not try for the third, you may very well end up with none.

Don't push your luck, seriously................................

Agreed... I'd wait at least 6-12 months in the garden. CSR was a borderline approval as they gave you the minimum SL for that card product. Let CSR age and some of the HP's fall off. You've had a really good run so far. Barclays can get spooked as well

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would wait until you get it in the "my offers" section on your portal tbh. I completed my trifecta that way. Was way ove 5/24....Will still be a HP but if they extend the offer I felt better about the app being approved. Unless you have travel plans coming up and want to possibly pool your SUB's and point spend on the CSR that would be the only reason, but again I would wait.

Also CONGRATS on the VERY nice CL's over the last few years

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would give it some time and let at least some of your hard pulls fall off first. As someone mentioned above, you got approved for the bare minimum SL, so you might not want to push your luck!

Message 5 of 12
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

I'm waiting until I'm under 5/24, even though it's two years away. However, if I get a green checkmark or an in branch offer, I'll take it.

Message 6 of 12
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Op - wait at least 6 months before applying.  If you get an online preapproval before then, resist the temptation and ignore it.  Even after 6 months don't be surprised if denied due to the 5/24 rule.

In the meantime, don't apply for any other cards.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 12
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

I haven't applied for cards in 10 months now, have to wait until May 2020, my last card would be the Ink Cash, but a friend of mine told me to downgrade the Reserve to the old Sapphire and then apply for the FU to get the SUB, but I'd rather not cause it's gonna affect my personal credit affecting AaoA, score, etc. The cash Ink does all the combo of gas, restaurants and office supplies so need to get the Sapphire.
Message 8 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on these forums and I've gotten a lot of great info from here Smiley Happy but I've tried searching for this question and I haven't gotten a concrete answer.

My credit history:

Discover It - 10/16, $10,000 CL

BofA Travel Rewards - 11/17, $5.500 CL

Chase Freedom - 12/17, $6000 CL

Citi DC - 03/18, $4000 CL

Barclays Uber Visa - 03/18, $5000 CL

Chase Amazon - 04/18, $2000 CL

Target Card - 05/18, $2400 CL

Amex Cash Magnet - 06/18, $6000 CL

Citi Costco - 07/18, $8500 CL

Amex Everyday - 11/18, $4000 CL

Chase Sapphire Reserve - very recently, $10,000 CL

I was approved at 9/24 (3/12, 0/6) for the CSR with in-branch approval. Equifax shows 17 hard pulls, Experian 14 hard pulls. Scores 720+ depending on the bureau. I am looking to grab the Freedom Unlimited to complete the trifecta but I don't want to poke the bear and have Chase shut down all my accounts, because it seems like I got lucky with the in-branch preapproval at 9/24. How long is an ideal time to wait before trying to app for the FU? 6 months? I've seen the issues with Chase shutting down accounts for applying for too many cards at once so I don't want to be in the same predicament. 

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't even attempt poking the bear. Seriously, I think you should wait until you are 4/24 before applying for any other cards anywhere. Just my 2cents.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

With Chase, especially these days, you need to be careful. They aren't shy of shutting people down. I would definitely wait at least six months from the newest Chase approval, and that's a bare minimum.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.