cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How strict is Amex's UW with their SPG cards?

tag
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: How strict is Amex's UW with their SPG cards?

wrote:

There is no extra SUB. I've been checking and the bonus is the standard 25k SPG points. 

I am considering both since they both credit extra nights and stays towards elite status. The biz gives access to the Sheraton lounge which is a plus. 

So...you're thinking of getting both of them? Because your intial post says you're thinking of only getting one of them.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eventually both would be nice. I am hoping they bring the 35k offer back this year so I will be holding out on one of them

Message 12 of 19
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I don't know if this will affect your decision but be aware that both spending requirements will go especially with the biz SPG at $10k total if it appears again and it's the same as last time. I'm actually wondering with the recent announcements if the increased SPG SUBs will ever show up again tbh.

Message 13 of 19
bondsandloan
Regular Contributor

wrote:

Eventually both would be nice. I am hoping they bring the 35k offer back this year so I will be holding out on one of them

Some kind of status with Starwood or significant stays in their properties in 2017 does help with the bonus offers. My wife had around ~ 30 nights of stays with them and she got an email from Starwood (mind you not Amex) to apply for the SPG Amex with a 30,000 bonus starpoints (offer in the market was 25,000 at the time) . 

Just remembered - even I got that offer email from SPG in 2017 and I only had 2 nights of stays. So maybe that's all you need ;-)

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's one common characteristic with AMEX approvals...

They're the easiest cards to get, except for Centurion. 

I wouldn't put it past someone with a 645 Experian score being approved for any card listed on the website, as long as they have an income that supports it. 

Message 15 of 19
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

wrote:

There's one common characteristic with AMEX approvals...

They're the easiest cards to get, except for Centurion. 

I wouldn't put it past someone with a 645 Experian score being approved for any card listed on the website, as long as they have an income that supports it. 

For 1k possibly, certainly not for 10k-20k SL's regardless of their income.  Amex isn't going to take that big of risk.  All depends on what kinds of terms and CL you want and obviously score is just one part of a persons profile as a score is just a general gauge.  For example someone could have a 645 score due to utilization but have perfect payment history and if paid off balances they would be back in the 750's range.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

One doesn't really need or have a need for a $20,000 CL or even $10,000 so it doesn't matter that much. People who are terrible at money management spend that much money in one month. 

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

One doesn't really need or have a need for a $20,000 CL or even $10,000 so it doesn't matter that much. People who are terrible at money management spend that much money in one month. 

Very uniformed and ridiculous overstatement.  Book a SPG vacation in Bora Bora and tell me you don't need a limit over $10K on the card. Please stop trying to characterize everyone's credit needs as being the same.  They're not.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

wrote:

Very uniformed and ridiculous overstatement.  Book a SPG vacation in Bora Bora and tell me you don't need a limit over $10K on the card. Please stop trying to chracterize everyone's credit needs as being the same.  They're not.

Alright, well you got me on that one. Good point. 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.