cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Benefit from Travel Rewards When You're Cheap?

tag
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

How to Benefit from Travel Rewards When You're Cheap?

I'm currently running a cash back strategy. However, I realized that after a certain promo ends next year, I'll likely only net ~ $800-$850 from this approach, and I'm wondering if I can do better pursuing reward travel. The problem is that we vacation very cheaply, have no brand loyalty to an airline/hotel, and often drive and stay with friends/family. Our average beach week costs us under $600, and that includes boarding the dog (hotel, car, food, gas, entertainment, dog boarding). Getting a $200/night hotel room at 50% off with rewards would actually cost us more than we're paying now ($54.99/night, even during high season). Yes, it's a nicer hotel and room, but we're comfortable at the current hotel.

Does anyone here have experience making travel rewards rewarding when you travel cheap to begin with? How do you make it work?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to Benefit from Travel Rewards When You're Cheap?

Sounds like my style!

First, join airline loyalty programs. Eevery airline's loyalty program can offer you 7-10% back on top of credit care earnings. Its fine to have a program with all major airlines you fly.

Second, consider CSR or Propel+WF signature, both offers 4.5% towards flight booking.

Message 2 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

You might consider cards where you can use a bonus to offset travel purchases for a statement credit (Venture, Arrival+ if it reopens, others). You could get a new bonus once or twice a year.

I don't know if it's still possible to apply for or PC to the $49 IHG card (maybe over the phone or through some hidden link?), but even after the nerf it gives a pretty good annual night - and presumably a good bonus.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

That’s CHEAP cheap. But you could still go from cheap to free. Get a CSR, pay with points in their portal, and they’ll be worth 1.5x. It wouldn’t take much spending to cover your hotel room for the week (even if you’ve already used the $300 travel credit).

The downsides are (1) travel cards always devote one of their bonus earn categories to travel, where you spend almost no money and (2) your only redemption option with your current habits is hotels. Is it worth it to switch to a travel reward system with so little travel?
Message 4 of 7
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Is it worth it to switch to a travel reward system with so little travel?

That's what I'm exploring. The opportunity cost is the cash back (right now it's about $1k, but next year I'm projecting only around $825), so I'm calculating whether I can get more than $825 worth of value from travel rewards.

Message 5 of 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@VanderSnoot wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Is it worth it to switch to a travel reward system with so little travel?

That's what I'm exploring. The opportunity cost is the cash back (right now it's about $1k, but next year I'm projecting only around $825), so I'm calculating whether I can get more than $825 worth of value from travel rewards.

It's not like you have to choose between "all travel" and "all cash back".

People who travel frequently and in comfort sometimes do take an "all travel" approach...but an occasional budget traveler can still keep a core of cash back cards while gently chasing travel bonuses.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you can find benefits of cards like the Propel that let you more or less do your normal spend while earning travel rewards with no Af. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.