cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Get the Big names CC ??? Amex, Citi, Chase....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to Get the Big names CC ??? Amex, Citi, Chase....

If you had not done so many store applications there is a good chance you could have already had your foot in the door with a major. The reason why I say this is because I see you were approved for the Walmart Discover with a 3000 limit. It takes a good score to get the Discover version and at that high limit as well. If you had simply done a major card first, you could have possibly been approved.

Good luck with your rebuild. I recommend staying away from all these store cards at this point otherwise when you do start getting major cards you're just going to be closing a bunch of low limit store cards you never use.

Message 11 of 19
Wanka77
New Contributor

Excellent Advise !!!!  I do really appreciate the time and effort all of you guys took to set me in the right direction.  I've also been reading a lot of post in regards to WalMart Discv and their auto CLI.  It seems as GECRB is very good at giving good CLI.  Do you guys recommend for them to do the auto CLI since it will consider a SP or to start working on increasing my CLI in thsi particular CC to call it myself and try to negociate w/ an anylist.  I believe if I call it in, then they would do a HP, right?

Starting Score:EX-639, TU-632 641-EQ(MyFico)
Current Score:EX-737(PLUS), TU-784(MyFico)750 (Walmrt) 719-EQ(Myfico),
Goal Score: 750-Across

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 12 of 19
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Best thing you (and anyone else reading these posts) can do...HEED THE ADVICE!    Some great advice given here, that's applicable in a variety of situations. 

Time is your ally.  Use it well. 

Message 13 of 19
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@Wanka77 wrote:

Excellent Advise !!!!  I do really appreciate the time and effort all of you guys took to set me in the right direction.  I've also been reading a lot of post in regards to WalMart Discv and their auto CLI.  It seems as GECRB is very good at giving good CLI.  Do you guys recommend for them to do the auto CLI since it will consider a SP or to start working on increasing my CLI in thsi particular CC to call it myself and try to negociate w/ an anylist.  I believe if I call it in, then they would do a HP, right?

It is weird that you have read all of this advice that people have offered you, most of which says that you need to garden and stay away from inquiries -- then immediately start talking about the proposition of picking up a HP by starting to work on increasing your CL and calling in and negotiating with an analyst. Luckily for you, all CLI from GE that you request are SP. Most CLI that you request are going to be a HP. Gardening means avoiding the HP. So garden for a while bro.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 14 of 19
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Keep those lines open and in use for 12 months.  Keep your UT low, don't open any other accounts, and pay on time.  Do that for a year and you can get pretty much any prime card you want. 

Message 15 of 19
Wanka77
New Contributor

Swap...

Let me clarify myself, I believe I was misunderstood......   I really don't plan to request any CLI's that would add another inq nor do I intend to contact any analyst in the near future.  However,  after having read many posts in reference to CLI on open cc, I have read many succesull stories that it's best to call it in (When your 6mos are up) rather then have it done auto.  Some people stated that some cards do a HP when you call it in and others specify that they had a SP but a better CLI than an auto.  I don't plan in opening new TL in the next 24mos but I do intend to start growing my currents accounts (CL, AAoA ...etc)   Sorry for the confusion and once again thank you for all of advise.

Starting Score:EX-639, TU-632 641-EQ(MyFico)
Current Score:EX-737(PLUS), TU-784(MyFico)750 (Walmrt) 719-EQ(Myfico),
Goal Score: 750-Across

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 16 of 19
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

I see. You don't really have any power over auto CLI, but especially with GE, there is nothing wrong with both. If you wait for an auto CLI, then call an analyst, you can get both. It all depends on your level of patience.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 17 of 19
Imua
Frequent Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@Wanka77 wrote:

Hi guys,

I have recently started to work my way into getting revolving credit.  I went on a app spree about 3weeks ago and was able to get a few major cc, store cards and a gas card.  So far this is what I have:

Walamrt Discv - 3k

Sams store cc - 1k

Omaha Mutual - 1k

Exxon/Mobil Gas card - $500

JCPenny store card - $800

2 Cap One cc - $500 ea

Victoria Secret - $700

I will be in the Garden till 03/2014

I would like to get all of your knowledge on how to get my foot in the door for the big names cc such as American X-press, Chase, Citi etc.... Which cc should I apply for first on each of these institutions and how to work my way up into getting the Elite cc's.    It'll be great if any of you have some kind of diagram that guides you into the cc process starting w/ the basic cc all the way to the highest in a chronological order.  It will be a great tool to have, specially for people like me that are starting in the little leagues in hopes into getting to the major leagues.   

Practically, the only thing you need to know right now is your FICO score. You have a good card portfolio. As long as you maintain these cards and have at least 6 months of credit history and a reasonable annual income you should be able to get your foot in the door with Amex. For Chase, you'd need at least a year. For Citi, probably a year as well.

ime, having 1 year of credit history before chase will approve is not a hard and fast rule.

i got my chase freedom card (with initial $4.6k CL) after only 6 months of cc history (BofA visa for 6 months, and macy's store/macy's visa for 5 months). 

Message 18 of 19
rlx01
Established Contributor

Chase might approve at 6 months for Freedom, but Chase will not approve a CSP or an Ink with only 6 months of history, even with ridiculous amounts of income and high limit secured cards.

Might be possible at a branch or whatever if you bank with them.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.