Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to close Merrick bank credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to close Merrick bank credit card

This was my second card two years ago I got. Now it is my lowest card with barely 300 on it. I would like to close it and get my deposit back.

What is the best way to do this? I get chared 3 dollars a month for annual fee, which posts statement day. When is the best time to close? I don't want it posting with a 3 dollar fee when I close the account. Its at zero right now of course, but the statement generates tomorrow.

Also, how long does it take to get back the deposit? 

Thanks guys

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to close Merrick bank credit card

No one has had a secured merrick bank card closed?

Message 2 of 9
RCFL
Frequent Contributor

When I cancelled my Merrick card a few years ago, I called the number on the back and spoke to someone. Just call them....

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Easy...call and tell them to close it. I'm sure they will try to get you to recon, but stick to your guns. 

Message 4 of 9
NichelleN
Established Contributor

I had a Merrick card for a year but it wasn't secured. And there weren't monthly fees. It had an annual fee and I closed it before the annual fee could post. I called the number on the back of the card and requested to close it. The rep was polite and he didn't try to get me to keep the card. It had served its purpose so I wouldn't have kept it no matter what was offered.

More than enough credit.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This was my second card two years ago I got. Now it is my lowest card with barely 300 on it. I would like to close it and get my deposit back.

What is the best way to do this? I get chared 3 dollars a month for annual fee, which posts statement day. When is the best time to close? I don't want it posting with a 3 dollar fee when I close the account. Its at zero right now of course, but the statement generates tomorrow.

Also, how long does it take to get back the deposit? 

Thanks guys

Call CS. I would have called immediately after making the last payment on your account. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I will wait until this statement hits tomorrow, then post the payment for the fee, wait for that to clear, THEN call and cancel lol

How long to get back deposit?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess I will wait until this statement hits tomorrow, then post the payment for the fee, wait for that to clear, THEN call and cancel lol

How long to get back deposit?

I wouldn't wait to call CS. Maybe they will credit you the $3 fee. Idk how long it will take to receive a refund. Please come back and update your thread with the outcome. Good luck!Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 9
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

Whether you owe them $3 or $3000, the account can be closed any time. They will shut off your ability to use the card immediately, bill you until its paid off, then officially close the account. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.