Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get Chase Freedom 10/10 rewards without Chase Branch within 30 miles

tag
Tikon
Established Member

How to get Chase Freedom 10/10 rewards without Chase Branch within 30 miles

I thought I would relay my 'ordeal' with Chase today.

Short stor: as detailed in another recent thread, having a Chase Freedom account linked to a Chase Checking account gives bonus rewards (10% bonus plus 10 pts per purchase). In addition Chase is offering $150 for new checking accounts and free standard checking for $1,500 daily balance or more.

The problem is that Chase requires your checking account to be assigned to a branch (regardless of how you appl, phone, online, or in person) which means you need a branch within 30 miles of your address. The address has to match your credit card address, too.

I complained up the ladder to a third tier analyst in the retention department, who said this was a firm rule. However, they will allow you to change your address to a friend or family member for the purpose of the application (who will then receive the documents to sign) and then allow you to change your address back once the account is active.

In other words: it is possible to get 10/10 Freedom rewards and the $150 signup bonus for a checking account without a Chase branch within 30 miles. As a reminder, it does change your credit card address too (so get on paperless statements and don't redeem any rewards during that period).

Credit cards: $5400 AmEx BlueCash Everyday, $5000 BOA Signature Visa, $5500 Discover, $4000 Citi Plat Select, $1500 CapitalOne Platinum, $5000 B&N Barclaycard, $5000 Elan Financial, $4700 Chase Freedom, $2000 CapitalOne Journey (AU), $500 Chase Amazon, $600 Shell, $500 Kohls, $500 Goodys, $450 JCPenny
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: How to get Chase Freedom 10/10 rewards without Chase Branch within 30 miles

Pretzel logic is alive and well! Thanks for the useful info.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 10
SimonP
Valued Member

I am in the same boat, and there is no branch in 150 miles from us. I think it is funny that Chase opens CC cards everywhere, but keeps checking requirements different. My only concern regarding this practice would be my credit score. Isn't changing the address bad for your overal score? There is a factor for years at current address in every CC application.
My Wallet: Wells Fargo Visa, Chase Freedom 5%, Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP), Chase Sapphire, Amex Blue Cash Preferred (BCP), US Bank Cash+, Citi Premier
Message 3 of 10
Tikon
Established Member

@SimonP wrote:
I am in the same boat, and there is no branch in 150 miles from us. I think it is funny that Chase opens CC cards everywhere, but keeps checking requirements different. My only concern regarding this practice would be my credit score. Isn't changing the address bad for your overal score? There is a factor for years at current address in every CC application.

True, although for me this will only be one account reporting a different address. Also, I plan on changing it back immediately upon opening the account, so I might make it before, not sure.

Credit cards: $5400 AmEx BlueCash Everyday, $5000 BOA Signature Visa, $5500 Discover, $4000 Citi Plat Select, $1500 CapitalOne Platinum, $5000 B&N Barclaycard, $5000 Elan Financial, $4700 Chase Freedom, $2000 CapitalOne Journey (AU), $500 Chase Amazon, $600 Shell, $500 Kohls, $500 Goodys, $450 JCPenny
Message 4 of 10
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

So let me get this straight.

I live in Boston right now, and I have a Chase Slate. The closest branch is in NYC. Eventually I want to get the checking, Freedom, and Sapphire combo. I can't apply for a checking with a MA address.

I was thinking of changing my address to my friend's NYC address so I can open a checking account. I want to PC my Slate to a Freedom 10/10  in November. I do want to open my checking account sooner than later because I want to show some age, hoping it can help my odds with a Sapphire application in October. So, if I want to open my checking account now and use the NYC address,, do I have to keep it registered at my NYC address from now until November?

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 5 of 10
TM82
Regular Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

I live in Boston right now, and I have a Chase Slate. The closest branch is in NYC. Eventually I want to get the checking, Freedom, and Sapphire combo. I can't apply for a checking with a MA address.

I was thinking of changing my address to my friend's NYC address so I can open a checking account. I want to PC my Slate to a Freedom 10/10  in November. I do want to open my checking account sooner than later because I want to show some age, hoping it can help my odds with a Sapphire application in October. So, if I want to open my checking account now and use the NYC address,, do I have to keep it registered at my NYC address from now until November?

If you go to a Chase branch you'll be able to open the account using your current address, don't have to bother changing addresses and the like. As long as you have photo ID and a 2nd form of ID, they'll be able to open the account for you. If they ask say that you come to the area on occassion and its convenient for you to have an account at Chase because you don't like to pay ATM fees or something. They just won't open an account online if you're out of the footprint, but as long as you physically go into a branch it should be no problem.
My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 6 of 10
SimonP
Valued Member

@TM82 wrote:

@SwiftTone wrote:

If you go to a Chase branch you'll be able to open the account using your current address, don't have to bother changing addresses and the like. As long as you have photo ID and a 2nd form of ID, they'll be able to open the account for you. If they ask say that you come to the area on occassion and its convenient for you to have an account at Chase because you don't like to pay ATM fees or something. They just won't open an account online if you're out of the footprint, but as long as you physically go into a branch it should be no problem.

I am visiting my in-laws in CA in three weeks. I will try your solution, and let others know if it works.

BTW, I just printed a $200 coupon off their website. Apparently, they give you $200 for opening a "Total Checking" account! Search for "LC-ONLCHK2Q12 " in Google!

My Wallet: Wells Fargo Visa, Chase Freedom 5%, Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP), Chase Sapphire, Amex Blue Cash Preferred (BCP), US Bank Cash+, Citi Premier
Message 7 of 10
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@SimonP wrote:

@TM82 wrote:

@SwiftTone wrote:

I am visiting my in-laws in CA in three weeks. I will try your solution, and let others know if it works.

BTW, I just printed a $200 coupon off their website. Apparently, they give you $200 for opening a "Total Checking" account! Search for "LC-ONLCHK2Q12 " in Google!

Thanks for the headsup.

I ended up changing my address to my friend's address in NYC and opened a Chase Total Checking. Will be receiving $200 after I make a direct deposit. It didn't mention a minimum for direct deposit to receive the $200. I then did a "mail forwarding" service at USPS.com so I wouldn't have to bother my friend for forwarding the paperwork. He will forward it if it doesn't work.

Hope all this goes smoothely when I decide to PC my Slate to Freedom in Novermber and I get the "10 and 10" benefits!!

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 8 of 10
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I just called Chase about this. This is not an automatically enrolled in program. You do have to call them and ask for them to "link" your accounts to get the extra rewards. They are in the process of "linking" my accounts for the extra 10.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 9 of 10
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

UPDATE FROM CHASE

CSR staff was REALLLY sweet! Anyway the agent adjusted my points balance for what I would have earned had I been enrolled in the 10/10 program. She also could see I had a Chase checking account with them for some time but that my credit card was new. She told me that the only way she could "link" my accounts by phone was if I had already cycled 2 statements on my credit card which I have not quite yet. She said that instead of waiting and to expedite this process, to go to a Chase branch and speak with someone there to link your account for the 10/10 program.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.