Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get a high balance to report on a Signature/World card

tag
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

How to get a high balance to report on a Signature/World card

There have been threads started by a few people, including myself,  that have one of these cards that don't report a CL and the high balance gets used instead. If your high balance never gets very high, then a typical month's spending will make it appear maxed out, at least to scoring systems that don't recognize a NPSL card.

I don't usually spend enough in a month to get my balance anywhere near high enough to eliminate this problem, and I suspect there are many more of us in the same boat.

The solution that seems obvious is to buy something real expensive one month and return it the next, after the statement posts. I originally thought this was ethically problematic because I thought a merchant would have to pay interchange fees on the purchase and the return, and making a merchant pay what could be several hundred dollars in fees just so I can get a better score just doesn't seem right. But after some internet research it appears that a merchant actually gets the interchange fee back when they issue a refund so they're not really losing any money. I do realize there might be some shady CC processors that might try to cheat the merchant but I don't know how common that is. If this works out I might just skip on down to my favorite big box store and bring home a piece of electronics or jewelry or something to visit for a few days.

Any business owners out there that can verify if this is true for them?

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
dalebb
Valued Contributor

Re: How to get a high balance to report on a Signature/World card

@LTomBerry wrote:

There have been threads started by a few people, including myself,  that have one of these cards that don't report a CL and the high balance gets used instead. If your high balance never gets very high, then a typical month's spending will make it appear maxed out, at least to scoring systems that don't recognize a NPSL card.

I don't usually spend enough in a month to get my balance anywhere near high enough to eliminate this problem, and I suspect there are many more of us in the same boat.

The solution that seems obvious is to buy something real expensive one month and return it the next, after the statement posts. I originally thought this was ethically problematic because I thought a merchant would have to pay interchange fees on the purchase and the return, and making a merchant pay what could be several hundred dollars in fees just so I can get a better score just doesn't seem right. But after some internet research it appears that a merchant actually gets the interchange fee back when they issue a refund so they're not really losing any money. I do realize there might be some shady CC processors that might try to cheat the merchant but I don't know how common that is. If this works out I might just skip on down to my favorite big box store and bring home a piece of electronics or jewelry or something to visit for a few days.

i not for sure,, but some of the thing i have said and was shut down,, i think this post will get shut down,,, just my 2 cents

Message 2 of 24
learnin113
Established Contributor

yup

Message 3 of 24
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

Understood, I'm not advocating that people run out there and do something ethically questionable, I am just trying to find out if it is a legitimate way to solve the problem before anyone runs out and does this.

Message 4 of 24
dalebb
Valued Contributor

I know,, but anything like this most likely gets shut down and u get a reprimand

Message 5 of 24
dalebb
Valued Contributor

Message 6 of 24
learnin113
Established Contributor

downgrade?

Message 7 of 24
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@learnin113 wrote:

downgrade?

no the mod squad slaps u around till u understand the rules,, but i may b wrong,, most of the time they r right ontop of this stuff

Message 8 of 24
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

@dalebb wrote:

@learnin113 wrote:

downgrade?

no the mod squad slaps u around till u understand the rules,, but i may b wrong,, most of the time they r right ontop of this stuff

Alright, I have read the forum's user guidelines and terms of service and cannot see which rule I might violate by asking a question. I am not encouraging anyone to provide untrue or misleading information for the purpose of raising FICO scores, etc.

The only gotcha I see at all is where the ToS says to avoid "Discussion of illegal or unethical activities or providing links to other websites containing such information"

I don't believe that simply asking a question as to whether something is ethical violates this, though.

Just in case, I'll rephrase the original question. Is buying & returning, as described above, an ethical way to boost your high balance?

I think the answer to this question might lie in whether the merchant fees are refunded.

Message 9 of 24
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@LTomBerry wrote:

Would not buying something with no intention of keeping it be unethical even if it doesn't cost the merchant anything extra?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.