Did you mean: 

How to get high CL's?

tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: How to get high CL's?

@kjonesjr00 wrote:
Great questions, and I appreciate the assistance and guidance. After looking closely, it looks like TUC is missing 3 accounts including our mortgage compared to the other 2 bureaus. Here is the breakdown:

TUC: AAoA - 7 months, UT 4%, 6 accounts, highest CL $12k Discover

EFX: AAoA - 2yrs/3 mos, UT 3-%, 8 accounts, highest CL $12k Discover

EXP: AAoA - 6yrs/11 mos, UT 56% (includes our HELOC which doesn’t report to EFX or TUC), 8 accounts, highest CL Discover

I noticed that my Apple Card that I got in August doesn’t show on any of my bureaus. Hope these DP’s help. Thanks

Thanks for providing additional DPs. 
However, your AAOA is kind of difficult to decipher. Dont break it out by CR. Just give the overall. It looks like it's less than 2 years but I could be wrong. And AoYA appears to be 3 mos. Also, can you provide CC UT for each card and also aggregate UT (across the board).   

If my calculations are correct regarding AAOA and AoYA, you should not apply for anything else for a minimum of 6 months, preferably 12 months. You're killing your age by keep applying for new credit. So at this pace, it's going to be hard to garner high limit cards. Just an FYI. A $1K SL on NFCU says you slid in. So keep in mind that once one gets declines and low limits, it's time to take a time-out.

What was the CL for the Apple card? Again, what was the reasons for the declines on Cap1 and Disco? This will provide valuable info. 

OP, You'll get there, but it takes time and patience. And I do believe that your second card with NFCU will be a fairly large limit, but only if your DTI is not out of whack. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 11 of 20
kjonesjr00
New Contributor

You are correct. We were discharged from Ch. 13 in February 2018. I got my first card which was Capital 1 in April 2018. That’s my oldest card. Yes, less than 2 years. My two newest cards were last month. I only have balances on 2 cards. My Discover card has a 5% UT, and one of the Capital One cards is at 14%. Both cards are 0%. Otherwise I would just pay them off.

Apple Card has a limit of $4,500. I haven’t received the letter from Discover stating why they denied my CLI request, but Capital 1 said my average monthly payment has been too low. I have a balance of about $700, but normally pay about $200. I normally have a $0 balance after a few months. Thanks again for your input.
Message 12 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Amex POT? Smiley Wink
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some Average Joe has a $15K store (insert name) card with low income, so it''s possible. Might take some serious ingenuity though.

Message 14 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, i took a $25k Store card and turned it into a lee MAJOR BABYSmiley Happy
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

A 6 million dollar card?

Growing CLs is like growing trees. They take about the same amount of time to get them nice and mature after you plant them.

Message 16 of 20
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A 6 million dollar card?

Growing CLs is like growing trees. They take about the same amount of time to get them nice and mature after you plant them.

Great analogy. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 17 of 20
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A 6 million dollar card?

Great analogy. 

Sorry for The OT in the thread ..

But Congrats @CreditInspired .. Nice New ColorSmiley Happy

Message 18 of 20
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@kjonesjr00 wrote:

I was wondering if I could get some tips and info on how to get high credit limits?

This has been a topic in which I've also been interested and spent time learning about.  I shared my insights on the forum before, so reference my links below for detailed message threads about my opinions and observations.  The previous answers here were pointed in the right direction so far.  

Some key factors:

* Credit Age

* Spending Levels

* Credit Scores

* Income

* Lender Underwriting Standards

* Debt-to-Income Ratio (All debts, not just credit cards)

* Assets on deposit with the Lender

* Use of Credit lines (regular, responsible, even without high spend)

* Leveraging Limits among Lenders

* Type/Brand of cards (Choose the right cards)

See Links:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Credit-Card-Management-So-many-cards-So-many-limits/m-...

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Please-give-some-data-points-credit-limit-income/m-p/5...

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Do-travel-cards-usually-come-with-higher-limits/m-p/57...

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 19 of 20
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

A 6 million dollar card?

Great analogy. 

Sorry for The OT in the thread ..

But Congrats @CreditInspired .. Nice New ColorSmiley Happy

Thank you @M_Smart007 .  And Congratus to you too. Smiley Happy I just noticed yours. Shame on me for being so non-observant. 

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.