Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get larger Credit Limits?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to get larger Credit Limits?

I have credit scores ranging from 740-770 with the various 3 (and depending on which fico model). I have 3 cards with the following limits, 1500, 2200, and 3100. All 3 with capital one. I do AZEO and typically carry a blance of $50-100 on a single card. I got all but the 2200 one before I fixed my credit (was in the low 600's a few years ago). What do I need to do to get a larger credit limit? We did just buy a house thise year and we are going to be doing some remodling while being able to earn the points etc for the purchases. Any advice?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: How to get larger Credit Limits?

There's a vast ocean of lenders out there, I would probably start with finding a card that's a good fit for you outside of CapOne.

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with K in Boston. My credit is just nearing the 720s after three years of rebuilding and Barclay's Jetblue just auto-raised my limit to $15,200. I just got a new card with the bank that handles my mortgage and that's a $12,000 limit. Chase is a card that has really grown with me and they just auto-increased me to $9900. I have two Cap 1 cards and they are not growing with me at nearly the rate as my other cards. I had been stuck at a $6000 limit with Cap1 Quicksilver for a while. Finally, recently, I asked for a cli and they moved me to a whopping $6500. The other card, Savor, has been at $3500 since I got it. I don't use it very often, though. Everyone's credit profile is different, but with a score that high, I don't see why other cards wouldn't grow with you. I don't know that you'll get a high limit to start if your current cards are all at lower limits,  but do move on from Cap1. 

Message 3 of 25
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Give it time, and forget about that AZEO non-sense.

It's ok to use when preparing for a large purchase..such as a home.

But unnecessary for normal monthly use.

I'd grab a Lowes card if available in your area. It will come in handy for home improvements.

The limit normally grows fairly quickly. It tops out at $35k.

Which will look fantastic on your CRs.

IME, once you start to accumalate higher limits. The other creditors follow suit. 

It's not going to happen overnight, but they will grow. 

Use your CCs normally and pay normally unless going over that 29% threshold. 

I've simplified it a bit. But really it's all about organic spending and allowing balances to report. 

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

... All 3 with capital one ... 

There you have it. Venture out into the world, grasshopper. Smiley Wink Beautiful limits await. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 25
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Speaking only from my own personal experience, Discover was the first lender to hand me a large SL. Amex is another good one. Both of these also have prequal tools to gauge your shot at approval. 

Good luck! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 25
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Echoing others - Capital One is probably your biggest problem. 

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 7 of 25
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Cap One can def grow if it is used a lot.

Check Discover and Amex prequels.

Lowes?

Navy?

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 8 of 25
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

Give it time, and forget about that AZEO non-sense.

It's ok to use when preparing for a large purchase..such as a home.

But unnecessary for normal monthly use.

I'd grab a Lowes card if available in your area. It will come in handy for home improvements.

The limit normally grows fairly quickly. It tops out at $35k.

Which will look fantastic on your CRs.

IME, once you start to accumalate higher limits. The other creditors follow suit. 

It's not going to happen overnight, but they will grow. 

Use your CCs normally and pay normally unless going over that 29% threshold. 

I've simplified it a bit. But really it's all about organic spending and allowing balances to report. 

This in a nutshell.
GL2U OP

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

First I would start with Chase prequalification site since they have their 5/24 rule.   Once you have applied for chase then hit up American Express.  At this point I would stop after two new cards but if you are frisky go ahead and apply for a citi card.     I will say that if you are planning on buying a house in the next two years DONT go with this plan.   Here is the deal: yes your credit score will take a hit for a short time because of this but you should be able to raise your total credit limit which affects utilization %.    The good news is then you can go into the garden and stop applying for credit and let the new accounts all age together.    This is not the best way to go if you like Start Up Bonuses since it might be difficult to get that much spend through and still pay the cards off but if increasing your total credit available or limit is the goal then go on a mini spree. 

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.