Did you mean: 

How to get larger Credit Limits?

tag
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: How to get larger Credit Limits?

@Anonymous wrote:

First I would start with Chase prequalification site since they have their 5/24 rule.   Once you have applied for chase then hit up American Express.  At this point I would stop after two new cards but if you are frisky go ahead and apply for a citi card.     I will say that if you are planning on buying a house in the next two years DONT go with this plan.   Here is the deal: yes your credit score will take a hit for a short time because of this but you should be able to raise your total credit limit which affects utilization %.    The good news is then you can go into the garden and stop applying for credit and let the new accounts all age together.    This is not the best way to go if you like Start Up Bonuses since it might be difficult to get that much spend through and still pay the cards off but if increasing your total credit available or limit is the goal then go on a mini spree. 

OP said they JUST bought a house and want new cards to cover remodeling. I would assume this would mean hitting Sign Up Bonuses wouldn't be hard at all.

OP, definitely diversify. Capital One isn't the end all, be all. Especially when it comes to limits. They can be hard to grow. Smiley Happy

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 11 of 25
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

Agree, Cap 1 is the slowest growing card account I have -still have the same SL from over 6 years ago.

It's my sock drawered card.

For a home owner, go for the Home Depot or Lowes CL - they definitely love to grow the CLI fast!

Message 12 of 25
RickNATL
Established Contributor

Sad to say, CapitalOne has not been a grower for me. I didn't add anymore of their cards once I realized the growth of them depends heavily on the use, and even then, the increase was meh.

High grantors of CLIs (caveat - YMMV) for me were: NFCU, BoA, Synchrony (Amazon, BP, P-PAL, Car Care Credit, Lowes, RTG, etc.), PenFed, Amex, Discover (took time), and Macys.

Good luck to you...

Message 13 of 25
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@4sallypat wrote:

Agree, Cap 1 is the slowest growing card account I have -still have the same SL from over 6 years ago.

It's my sock drawered card.

For a home owner, go for the Home Depot or Lowes CL - they definitely love to grow the CLI fast!

HD is a huge YMMV, and an attempt will usually cost you a HP. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 14 of 25
mystikal1
Established Contributor

I would say join a credit union. Penfed or Navy if you can if not join a local one.

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone, sounds like the issue is cap1, and even with lots of use they don't grow. 

Message 16 of 25
TampaBAY86
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everyone, sounds like the issue is cap1, and even with lots of use they don't grow. 

Out of curiosity, which Capital One cards do you have?  It sounds like you aren't earning rewards with them at all yet.

In addition to everyone's suggestions above, you may want to look into a product change of your current cards.  That is, if you are eligible and just have the basic Platinum or equivalent.  I did that from my basic Platinum a couple years ago after reading about it on here.  It is a Quicksilver now earning 1.5% cash back (better than nothing).

Message 17 of 25
FishingGuy
Frequent Contributor

I agree with everyone here..... basically telling you to diversify, diversify....and diversify your cards with other institutions.  Look at the various possibilities, Discover, Chase, Amex and more..... stick with major cards, not small store cards which won't get much use... When rebuilding I even applied for a Comenity Visa ( which many here don't like) .... that gave me my largest line at that time of $7,500.  ( followed by lines above $12,000 ) ...but do it slowly & strategically....

Your new accounts may wind up being much larger than your existing ones,  and if not,  you'll at least have more credit... with diversification of institutions with a variety of growth opportunities.... building for the future.

Message 18 of 25
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not exactly but that is true in-part.  In general, the generosity of limits varies by lender.  Capital One is known for issuing some cards which are "bucketed" (with lower limits) that refuse to grow, as well as for requiring a lot of spending to get modest increases on non-bucketed cards.  There are exceptions.  Some on the forums have Capital One cards well into five-figures and even into six-figure credit limits, but they are the exception.  I had a $1K Platinum card that I very slowly grew over about a decade to a $25K Quicksilver card, so it can happen with patience.  But yes, Capital One is a big part of your problem. 

Gaining lender diversity and 'leveraging' higher limits over time is your best strategy, as others mentioned above.  As your highest and average limits grow, your other cards generally follow. 

Temper your expectations based on not only your credit score but also your income and debt-to-income parameters.  Credit scores help drive approvals but those other variables are huge in credit limit considerations.  Unless you have sizable invested assets or a high level of reimbursed business spending, most lenders award limits based on a combination of the existing limits you've shown you need and can handle, combined with your ability to repay (income and debts.)   When household income rises and debt falls, those can both help leverage limits higher. 

Using your cards regularly and responsibly, asking for CL increases as allowed, and patience are your best strategies. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do actually have a significant amount of invested assets, am I able to use that amount towards my "income" when they ask?

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.