cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get the most out of Amex BCE?

tag
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

Re: How to get the most out of Amex BCE?

wrote:
I recently noticed I have Not been getting the 6% back from my local Fred Meyers store where I usually shop because it appears they are coding that as a "super store" giving me only 1% a little irritated as I like Fred Meyers. I could go back to Carrs Safeway but that is not my first choice for groceries.

Are they like Walmart?

Message 41 of 58
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Yes similar concept.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 42 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Amex can't see my receipt, how would they know if it's a gift card or bread I purchased?

Do you know what Level 3 data is?  If you aren't familiar with it I suggest you do some research.  Merchants give Amex and other card issuers access to Level 3 data in exchange for lower processing fees.  I think you would be surprised to learn what Amex knows about what you purchase with their cards.  Just ask the many people whose accounts were terminated for manufactured spending how Amex knew what they were doing.

Message 43 of 58
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

See if your Safeway has Fred Meyers gift cards. Many places do.

wrote:
I recently noticed I have Not been getting the 6% back from my local Fred Meyers store where I usually shop because it appears they are coding that as a "super store" giving me only 1% a little irritated as I like Fred Meyers. I could go back to Carrs Safeway but that is not my first choice for groceries.

Message 44 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Correct, Fred Meyer does not code as a grocery store. 

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/rewards-info/retail.html

Message 45 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can only PC a BCE to a BCP card. You can't go to the ED series or anything.

You may find MR points better but really they are only valuable (IMO) for travel related redemption and some gift cards. Anything else you're looking at less than a 1% return at the base level, so it doesn't beat even your BCE. Just depends on what you want your rewards to do for you. If you do want travel, MR points can be great. If you want to redeem for statement credit type of things, MR points convert poorly.

I don't ever travel, so I would say the EDP card isn't for me.

Message 46 of 58
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Then I would keep the card as is for the time being and use the card as a donor for another revolver with AMEX because as some pointed out you can only PC it to the BCP or just let it sit there. That's what I'm doing with my BCE I'm basically gonna transfer the limit to another revolver (hopefully new Marriott AMEX in the future) and keep the account open because of how old it is at this point.
Message 47 of 58
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't have gotten this card if I had known that. Only option now is to switch over to Carrs Safeway or use another card.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 48 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then I would keep the card as is for the time being and use the card as a donor for another revolver with AMEX because as some pointed out you can only PC it to the BCP or just let it sit there. That's what I'm doing with my BCE I'm basically gonna transfer the limit to another revolver (hopefully new Marriott AMEX in the future) and keep the account open because of how old it is at this point.

Gotcha, understood.  I'll probably just continue to use it for grocery spend until Amex comes out with another product, or I somehow find use for another one of their current products and then use it as a donor card as you said.  My limit is $40k, so there's a good amount there that could go elsewhere when the timing is right.

Message 49 of 58
redpat
Senior Contributor

OP, it looks like you got a 40k CL with no where to go.  By the looks of it chase AARP, Freedom and Discover cards are all you need and even through in Chase FU.  If you don’t travel Amex isn’t the best place to be.

There is nothing wrong w/ just closing it, omg did I say that out loud on these forums.  I have closed cards with 20k+ limits that I would never use again.  Don’t get caught up with CLs and feel you have to keep the card just because of it.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 50 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.