Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to go from additional user to main user with Amex Delta

tag
villemiami
Regular Contributor

How to go from additional user to main user with Amex Delta

My mother is coming from France and is 83 years old. I'm trying to build credit for her. I added her as an additional user on my Costco credit card, but she still has no credit score. Now, I just added her as an additional user with Delta Amex Gold. Some day, she would like to get the Aadvantage sign up bonus with Amex Delta Gold. How could she go from additional user to main user and get this bonus?

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: How to go from additional user to main user with Amex Delta

The best thing she can do is apply for a secured card. This will build some US based credit history.
Will she have a SSN ?

It may be difficult for her to get approved at 83 with no income and nonexistent credit history.
Does she have an American Express card in France ? They have a global transfer program where they let you use your account history in your previous country as a way to get approved in your new country of residence.

It will take 6 months to generate a FICO score from the time any tradeline was reported in her name.

You mentioned the AAdvantage program. That is Part of American Airlines and has nothing to do with Delta or American Express. The two AA cards are issued but citi bank and Barclays.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 2 of 26
villemiami
Regular Contributor

She already has a SSN.

I made a mistake with AAdvantage. I meant that she would be interested in getting the sign up bonus with many Delta miles from the Amex Gold Delta card. How would she make the transition from additional user to main user for this card?

I added her as an additional user on my Costco Citi card on 3/9/18.

I checked a few months ago on creditscorecard.com and he had no score yet, Then her email address stopped to exist, she changed email, and I cannot connect to creditscorecard.com with her account anymore. On what other site could I check her score?

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 3 of 26
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

She can request a copy of her annual credit report from annualcreditreport.com

Or you can do experian.com creditworks premium trial for $1 and it will let you see a 3B credit report and score.

I would have her apply for a secured card and build some US based credit. It’s not going to happen overnight. It will take her 6-12 months before Amex may be willing to approve her. It may also be difficult because I doubt she has an income at the age of 80. They sometimes consider assets when making those sort of determinations. Amex isn’t the friendliest lender to those with no credit history what so ever, especially at the age she is.

It just seems like a lot of work to get one bonus of $600-$800 depending on the amount of points.
At the age of 80+ will she benefit from establishing US based credit ?

Message 4 of 26
villemiami
Regular Contributor

She travels once a year to France so she would be interested with a travel credit card.

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 5 of 26
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

She would need to get a secured credit card and build some history for 6-12 months.

Discover is a great option. Offers rewards and NO-FTF.

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick Q, does adding her to your Amex Delta Gold make her ineligible for Delta Gold SUB of her own ( I think they do check SSN when adding as AU)? They have been stringy recently, perhaps somebody can clarify this.

Another important consideration you may want to assess. Flying once a year is not very frequent, and she will need points from other spending to get benefit for that trip. Unlike Chase, Wells, I don't think MR points can be gifted to another person, and trasnfering to airline partners requires exact name match (do correct me if I am wrong). So it may be best to keep her as AU so you guys can work together to rack up points and buy ticket.

Message 7 of 26
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Sorry to go off topic a little but I would like to know answer to this for my own peace of mind when I reach this golden age. If OPs mom gets a pension or SS, wouldnt that be considered income?

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 26
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Quick Q, does adding her to your Amex Delta Gold make her ineligible for Delta Gold SUB of her own ( I think they do check SSN when adding as AU)? They have been stringy recently, perhaps somebody can clarify this.

Another important consideration you may want to assess. Flying once a year is not very frequent, and she will need points from other spending to get benefit for that trip. Unlike Chase, Wells, I don't think MR points can be gifted to another person, and trasnfering to airline partners requires exact name match (do correct me if I am wrong). So it may be best to keep her as AU so you guys can work together to rack up points and buy ticket.

Im not sure where your getting this information from ? You can’t gift Chase points to anyone, they must be an AU on your credit card in order to do the transfer to their airline loyalty account. Same thing that Amex allows. 

You can pool UR points between family members but the same rules apply as above plus they must live at the same address as you in order to pool points. 

I have no clue about Wells Fargo. 

You can book airline  award tickets for anyone. Family or not with most credit card portals and transferrable Airline miles. The one notable exception to this is ANA where their must be a family connection. 

Being an AU, does not affect getting your own welcome offer on an account. 

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired
I would think it's safe to assume that pensions or SS would be considered income. It counts as income for a morgatge after all. I thought the same when someone said 80+ with no income. Not sure how SS would work, or having a pension from a foreign country would apply though.
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.