Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to go from additional user to main user with Amex Delta

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to go from additional user to main user with Amex Delta

@Shadowfactor wrote:

Im not sure where your getting this information from ? You can’t gift Chase points to anyone, they must be an AU on your credit card in order to do the transfer to their airline loyalty account. Same thing that Amex allows. 

You can pool UR points between family members but the same rules apply as above plus they must live at the same address as you in order to pool points. 

I have no clue about Wells Fargo. 

Maybe I used the incorrect word. I assumed OP's mom is living with him.

If OP wants his mom to have a separate account and they can still pool points, Chase allows that, as long as they have same address. This is a improvement over MR points, which cannot be pooled between family members (They need to be AU on at least one account, which may not be a big hurdle).

Wells fargo can pool point with anyone, which is also a marked improvement over Chase. They can live at different places, they can be complete strangers, lol

So I think the options maybe limited for OP if she needs pooling points for ticket.

• If you want Amex, then she should be your AU.
  • If you don't live together, then wells fargo is the only way for separate cards.
  • If you do live together, Chase becomes an option on top of wells.
Message 11 of 26
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@CreditInspired
I would think it's safe to assume that pensions or SS would be considered income. It counts as income for a morgatge after all. I thought the same when someone said 80+ with no income. Not sure how SS would work, or having a pension from a foreign country would apply though.

That’s why I went the route of no income and talked about assets. Not a clue how a foreign countries pension or equivalents would work. 

On a side note: it’s supposed to be for authorized users only at chase. You may have gotten lucky and it worked but it’s supposed to be for AU’s that live in the same household as you for points pooling. 

Chase is is irreverent to this topic though as there’s no way chase would approve OP’s mother for quite a while with no credit history. That’s at least 2 years down the road 

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you sure? Because Chase only says points can be transfered to "family member", nowhere in the agreement does it say that family member has to be an AU on one of your cards.

If you have some links, I will look into it, don't want to keep breaking rules if I am wrong, lol.

Message 13 of 26
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you sure? Because Chase only says points can be transfered to "family member", nowhere in the agreement does it say that family member has to be an AU on one of your cards.

If you have some links, I will look into it, don't want to keep breaking rules if I am wrong, lol.

https://thepointsguy.com/2015/11/chase-change-to-ur-account-transfers/?chsn_aclid=SAb51rVgyPZ6YBQfl7HPSLLE8LEyIUTZ6ODRaDcSRj-P1ot-LUVqigy55gFC1tVx

So for external transfers to a Loyality program it must it must be an AU which lives with you. It’s limited to ONE person.

For Internal transfers. You don’t need to be an AU but they must be a member of your household and hold their own UR earning credit card. 

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shadowfactor wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

https://thepointsguy.com/2015/11/chase-change-to-ur-account-transfers/?chsn_aclid=SAb51rVgyPZ6YBQfl7HPSLLE8LEyIUTZ6ODRaDcSRj-P1ot-LUVqigy55gFC1tVx

So for external transfers to a Loyality program it must it must be an AU which lives with you. It’s limited to ONE person.

For Internal transfers. You don’t need to be an AU but they must be a member of your household and hold their own UR earning credit card. 

thanks, Thats fine, thats what my understand was. As long as its family member with same address, they can have different account and no AU requirement.

Message 15 of 26
villemiami
Regular Contributor

My mum has a green card with a French retirement. There is an agreement between France and USA so if she declares her retirement to the French IRS, the American IRS cannot tax her retirement. She lives with me. While she's an additional user with Amex Gold Delta, the earned miles will be transferred to my Delta account. She doesn't mind that. But when she will get a credit score, she will want to have her own travel credit card. In that case, with Amex Delta, how does it work? Can she apply to her own card while being an additional user?

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 16 of 26
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@villemiami wrote:

My mum has a green card with a French retirement. There is an agreement between France and USA so if she declares her retirement to the French IRS, the American IRS cannot tax her retirement. She lives with me. While she's an additional user with Amex Gold Delta, the earned miles will be transferred to my Delta account. She doesn't mind that. But when she will get a credit score, she will want to have her own travel credit card. In that case, with Amex Delta, how does it work? Can she apply to her own card while being an additional user?

She can have her own card while still being an AU on the same type of account.

Amex isn’t going to just suddenly approve her because she got a FICO score. It’s much more complicated then that. 

She will need a way to build US based credit history. Hence the secured card suggestion. 

Message 17 of 26
villemiami
Regular Contributor

Is the secured card a better way to build credit history than being an additional user on Citi Costco and on Amex Delta?

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 18 of 26
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@villemiami wrote:

Is the secured card a better way to build credit history than being an additional user on Citi Costco and on Amex Delta?

With the right secured card, that card can graduate to unsecured, meaning that it would be a card with your mother as the primary cardholder, so in a way, it can be more helpful to get your mother to a primary cardholdership while getting her credit history established. 

Message 19 of 26
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@villemiami wrote:

Absolutely! 

AU accounts are just that, authorized users. They aren’t responsible for the account in any sort of way and because of that most banks tend to ignore them during manual reviews. 

Starting out with a secured credit card will help establish primary credit history and show payment history which that person is responsible for. 

As mentioned, with the right secured card it will graduate and grow. Discover is a very good option as it gives decent rewards, has no AF, graduates into unsecured and will grow over time.

You can get approved based on AU history alone sometimes. The lenders that would be willing to approve that situation are more along the lines of Discover or Capital 1.  

If she wants an Amex or other top tier travel cards, they require your own tradelines reporting positive history somewhere between 6 months - 1.5 years. I would guess around a year given this situation. 

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.