Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to go from additional user to main user with Amex Delta

tag
villemiami
Regular Contributor

Re: How to go from additional user to main user with Amex Delta

With the Amex Delta additional user, she has to pay a minimum of $9.95 per month with the card to keep it current. After she gets the Discover it Secured card approved, how can she stop having the Amex Delta? Does she have to call Amex Delta to cancel, or she just have to stop paying the minimum of $9.95?

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

if she is your AU, you can call amex to remove her as AU. Simply stop paying would not be a good thing to do.

Message 22 of 26
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

@villemiami wrote:

With the Amex Delta additional user, she has to pay a minimum of $9.95 per month with the card to keep it current. After she gets the Discover it Secured card approved, how can she stop having the Amex Delta? Does she have to call Amex Delta to cancel, or she just have to stop paying the minimum of $9.95?

None of the Delta cards have an AU fee. I think you must be mistaken. The gold delta has a annual fee of $95 but thats it

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 23 of 26
villemiami
Regular Contributor

The minimum of $9.95 per month is not an annual fee, I think it's just the minimum usage of the credit card per month for the AU, or else the AU will be removed.

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 24 of 26
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@villemiami wrote:

The minimum of $9.95 per month is not an annual fee, I think it's just the minimum usage of the credit card per month for the AU, or else the AU will be removed.

I have never heard of this.  Is this a US-issued Delta card?  Of the seven Delta cards issued by American Express (Blue, Gold, Platinum, reserve, Business Gold, Business Platinum, Business Reserve) in the United States, none of them have this requirement. 

Just because she is listed as an authorized user does not necessarily mean that American Express is reporting the account information to her US credit reports.  I would have her go to annualcreditreport.com to verify that she has credit reports with Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax.  Also check to see that the Amex account is reporting.  If she does have reports, I would do the Experian trial to see if she has scores generated.  If so, and her Experian FICO 08 score is at least 650 or so, she should be fine to get her own card with a bonus (and you should refer her for additional points!).  If not, I would suggest that she open a secured account with Bank of America and use it sparingly for 6 months to generate a score.  Once that happens, she could apply for the Delta card from American Express and/or the Bank of America Flying Blue card (for travel on Air France, but if she prefers Delta she can always book Delta flights to France using Flying Blue miles through either Air France or KLM).

Message 25 of 26
villemiami
Regular Contributor

Yes, it's a US-issued Delta card. I was also surprised by that. She bought something for $10 using the card, but now, I don't see this message anymore (I should have taken a screenshot). 

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.