Did you mean: 

How to grow a US Bank card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to grow a US Bank card?

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I tried for the US Bank Cash+ card and barely got in the door with a $1000 limit standard cash rewards card instead.

I want to grow the card and PC to the cash+ as quickly and efficiently as possible. What utilization does US Bank like to see, and when should I try for a CLI? I understand it will probably take a few years.

Got mine in summer of '13, and the only usage it's seen is auto billing for Sirius xm every month ($17…). Never did any other charges with it, nor any CLI requests... It's grown from $4.5k (if I remember correctly) to $13.5k, just off $17 a month.

Out of curiosity, does Sirius fall into a bonus category? I only have my ATT bill set to go to it, but my car has maps/wifi via T-mobile and I did a one time charge and was happy to see that it did hit the bonus category (guess it billed as T-mobile, not Audi). I wouldn't think Sirius would fall into that, but I figure it's worth asking since you mentioned it. 

Message 11 of 23
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I tried for the US Bank Cash+ card and barely got in the door with a $1000 limit standard cash rewards card instead.

I want to grow the card and PC to the cash+ as quickly and efficiently as possible. What utilization does US Bank like to see, and when should I try for a CLI? I understand it will probably take a few years.

Got mine in summer of '13, and the only usage it's seen is auto billing for Sirius xm every month ($17…). Never did any other charges with it, nor any CLI requests... It's grown from $4.5k (if I remember correctly) to $13.5k, just off $17 a month.

Out of curiosity, does Sirius fall into a bonus category? I only have my ATT bill set to go to it, but my car has maps/wifi via T-mobile and I did a one time charge and was happy to see that it did hit the bonus category (guess it billed as T-mobile, not Audi). I wouldn't think Sirius would fall into that, but I figure it's worth asking since you mentioned it. 

I've got a plain Jane vanilla US Bank card.

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ah thanks. Assumption on my part. 

Message 13 of 23
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Only bonus I get is a utilization buffer.. Lol

Message 14 of 23
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@sosabe77 wrote:

@Ghoshida wrote:
Up to $1500 SP CLI every 6 months. Use the card as good as you can. Reported Utilization overall should be 10% or less. But that's a general guideline.

I actually requested a $1500 CLI after 6 months because of this "rule"...I got the CLI but got hit with an HP too.  For all of that, I should have just requested more lol.

I put a lot of fast food and electronic store volume through that card (5% categories) and pay my balance off in full every month.  I was surprised they still dinged me with the hardie.

That is strange! Well, I guess it's always YMMV but I went for 4X SP CLIs on my 4 cards with them this month. $1,500 on each and it went through, no problem. Last month, I had tried 2X $2k CLIs and both returned empty; some weird language on their mailer. That came from me keeping reports frozen, I guess.

Apart from this round of SP CLIs, I've also had a previous round where I got $1.5k on my first Cash+ and $2k on the REI (then Visa). Never had any luck with auto CLIs; the REI (the oldest) was a good candidate (no SP CLIs for a year) but my credit was in the mid-high 600s then. After getting the Cash+, I've triggered SPs every 6+ months. 

You can definitely wait around for some auto love but I'm a bit impatient; also when you're gardening (and your reports are frozen), it's difficult to not fiddle with the CLI buttons every once in a while Smiley Tongue

BTW the last CLI was with my EX unfrozen for the AMEX PRG app. I wasn't sure if it's going to be an SP. Checked EX today (the CLI was last week) and still no HP from US Bank; so I guess it went fine. 

Couple of questions: (1) Have you tried the online link for CLIs or did you call in? (2) Have you tried CLIs with reports on ice?

Message 15 of 23
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I actually received a 3500 SP CLI which I initiated after seven months, so it appears YMMV.

You asked for it online? That's an impressive CLI with US Bank. Which card, what was the previous limit, and scores please? 

BTW are reports frozen or not?

Message 16 of 23
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, you could call and ask to have the Platinum card converted to a Cash+. Its pretty easy to do. and you get to keep the low APR.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 17 of 23
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, you could call and ask to have the Platinum card converted to a Cash+. Its pretty easy to do. and you get to keep the low APR.

Didn't the + card get severely nerfed?

Second point: Why? Only reason I took the US card was for utilization buffering during my rebuild days.

Literally, it gets used for $17. No more, no less.

Message 18 of 23
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

According to SECU, SiriusXM codes as Cable / Satellite TV, Pay TV, Radio Services (4899):

https://www.secumd.org/visa-promos.aspx

The foolproof way would be for the OP to check the MCC code by downloading their transactions.  Even if they aren't earning a bonus, it will sitll show the MCC code.

Message 19 of 23
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Didn't the + card get severely nerfed?

Second point: Why? Only reason I took the US card was for utilization buffering during my rebuild days.

Literally, it gets used for $17. No more, no less.

So it was nerfed. So now its just a terrific 5% cash back card with selectable categories. 

For example, select Sporting Goods Stores and get 5% cash back at Gander Mountain, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, Packers Pro Shop, REI, Sierra Trading Post, Sports Chalet, etc, etc. And thats just one of your two 5% categories. It sure beats getting 1% on a Gander Mountain card.

And its a nice looking Blue card. Shiny...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.