cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to treat a "high" cl card the right way when rebuilding?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to treat a "high" cl card the right way when rebuilding?

Hi everyone, I wasn't sure how to title this post so I will try to explain.

My credit did the rollercoaster in the last 3 years, from 700 to 400 and now back at 700 again. I have 6 cards with low limit (between $300 and $600) and a jarred at $4k, carecredit at $7k and my new discover at $8k. all my credit cards are paid in full each month and report to zero (but the carecredit at $1.5k).

I plan to use only my discover as a daily card now, but the bill can go to $3k at the end of month. My question is, should I pay my card each week or just wait a few days before statement and pay it off? Do discover would worry if they see $3k and do something? They already did a irs review when I opened my account, and I don't want to screw up my brand new relationship with them. And not sure if paying the balance in a few payments will make them worry as well. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: How to treat a "high" cl card the right way when rebuilding?

Discover doesn't care if you have a balance as long as you're paying them.

Message 2 of 17
FlaDude
Established Contributor

+1, there is really no advantage to weekly payments vs. 1 payment before closing date unless it works better for your finances.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have any goals of growing that credit limit over time, my suggestion would be only 1 payment per cycle.  If someone is going to go ahead and make multiple payments it somewhat renders the [higher] CL as being unnecessary.  Single big/bigger payments are better looks on the account IMO.  If you have an $8k limit and run up $3k and let it cut on your statement, that will give you a "high balance" of $3k listed on your CR.  Then the following day/week (whenever) you pay it off to $0.  That "high balance" will still remain on your CR showing that you did take the account that high, but it's a great look that it was paid off.  If another cycle you let a (say) $4k balance report, that $3k high balance on your CR will be replaced with the $4k.  Paying it off immediately regardless of what the balance is means your a Transactor and are exhibiting the healthiest credit behavior possible. 

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Thanks for your input. So instead of paying the balance BEFORE statement cut, I should wait and pay right after? I thought it was better when it reports to $0.

Right now I transfer weekly on another checking account the funds needed to pay the balance in full. 

Message 5 of 17
mmajer4211
Regular Contributor

My first "high" CL card during rebuilding was my Citi AAdvantage and I believe it started at $4,200 or right around there. I used it, and still do to this day, for everything I possible can. My main concern was the self discipline of letting everything pile up on the card and then paying it completely at the end of the month. I didn't, and probably still don't, have that type of discipline so I log on each and every day and pay it down to zero. There might be a day or two I miss throughout the month because I am busy on the weekends but other than that it is each day. So in reality I've made at least 20 payments per month to that card since it has opened and the CL is now $13,700 in just over a year and a half. This situation may not work for everyone and people may have different opinions on it but this is what works for me and I haven't had one hiccup yet.

MASSIVE OVERHALL (48) MONTHS IN

Message 6 of 17
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous Thanks for your input. So instead of paying the balance BEFORE statement cut, I should wait and pay right after? I thought it was better when it reports to $0.

Right now I transfer weekly on another checking account the funds needed to pay the balance in full. 

Let the world see that you use your card.

Let Discover see that you can be trusted to reliably PIF when you run up a fairly large balance and let it report.   You don't have to keep a close eye and be concerned about needing to pay off the balance before it reports.

It'll probably cost you a few FICOs but IMO it's a good tradeoff. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone, I wasn't sure how to title this post so I will try to explain.

My credit did the rollercoaster in the last 3 years, from 700 to 400 and now back at 700 again. I have 6 cards with low limit (between $300 and $600) and a jarred at $4k, carecredit at $7k and my new discover at $8k. all my credit cards are paid in full each month and report to zero (but the carecredit at $1.5k).

I plan to use only my discover as a daily card now, but the bill can go to $3k at the end of month. My question is, should I pay my card each week or just wait a few days before statement and pay it off? Do discover would worry if they see $3k and do something? They already did a irs review when I opened my account, and I don't want to screw up my brand new relationship with them. And not sure if paying the balance in a few payments will make them worry as well. 

Thanks!

Congrats on getting the verification out of the way. You should be fine as long as you pay the account on time.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 17
ccquest
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Best for points, best for likelihood of CLI, and best for your processing can be entirely different things. Best for points is reportining a minimal balance on one card at a time (~9% aggregate utilization, ~29% for that card). Best for likelihood of a CLI is probably using heavily and paying once a month (although the bank does know how much you're spending with them at any given time, letting it build up lets it be known that you're up to 50% of your limit instead of only ever hitting 5% and paying it). Best for your processing could be paying off each charge as it comes in because it keeps your actual bank account live and you know everything is accounted for.

Different strokes and all that.

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 9 of 17
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I have had both payment patterns on different cards at different times, and I have not noticed an overall benefit either way. Caveat, my profile is pretty weird. But, I have made multiple payments per month on, for example, PayPal (Sync), and it's grown well; I've made multiple payments per month on Discover, and it has hardly grown. Lots more examples I could cite where the results seem somewhat random. My Discover is a formerly secured card, so I guess I am at the kids' table in their eyes. I've thought about opening a new Discover card and closing this one to get around de facto bucketing, but worried that it wouldn't work, and I'd just have a new account for no good reason. If you ever figure out how Discover makes decisions, write a book. It'll sell well here. I would theorize that they have chicken races or perhaps it's based on the third letter of the first name of whoever delivers the pizza.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.