cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hubby has one Cap one card and nothing else....what one is suggested?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hubby has one Cap one card and nothing else....what one is suggested?

DH filed for Chapter7 in Jan 08, has since been discharged.  He has one CC, Cap One.  Needs to have another, I think to increase credit score EX-644 EQ-610 TU-597 

Which CC should he apply for and has a good chance of getting approved?  Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hubby has one Cap one card and nothing else....what one is suggested?

@Anonymous wrote:

DH filed for Chapter7 in Jan 08, has since been discharged.  He has one CC, Cap One.  Needs to have another, I think to increase credit score EX-644 EQ-610 TU-597 

Which CC should he apply for and has a good chance of getting approved?  Thanks Smiley Happy

Try HSBC or Bank of America preapproval site here and see if they have something for him, if not they may offer a secured. But check it out..they only softed you so this won't hurt a bit...just roll up your sleeves. LOL Good luckSmiley Wink

King

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Removed Buckzball's comment. I think the feedback from forum members says it all. --hauling

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 06-16-2009 10:24 AM
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Removed Buckzball's comment. --hauling

This is how FICO works...I'm sure you realize that. Time will increase his scores, but he also needs more TLs. The time to recover from a BK is immediately afterward. Another poster here has mid 700 scores, his 10 yr old BK has disappeared from his reports, but he is having difficulty qualifying for any credit card because all that is on his reports is a perfect 17 yr. old mortgage. He would have a much easier time obtaining credit now if he had applied for some credit right after the BK. 

The OP is doing exactly the right thing now in trying to obtain new credit.

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 06-16-2009 10:26 AM
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI Buckzball, the reason for my DH's Chapt7 is due to medical bills from our daughter who died due to complications from birth defects in 2006.....so before you go judging someone, I suggest you think twice about replying to a post with malice.

Oh and another FYI, as most know, it doesn't matter to the gov't or to companies:  when you file chapt 7, the current cards will automatically be closed....good standing or not.....

Hoping for some positive feedback next time....

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long has he had the Cap One card? He may need to show some good history with this card before he is approved for another.

Cap One was also my first card after BK years ago, my only card until a year later when I apped for and received a second Cap one. Providian, which is no longer, was my 3rd.

Have you tried HSBC?

I'm so sorry for your loss and that you have to put up with snarky remarks. That's just not the norm on this forum.

Message Edited by VEEnVEGAS on 06-16-2009 09:32 AM
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

that's ok....and i do appreciate the condolence...it's been rough enough already, but this stuff?  that's really sad...

anyway, dh has had the card since last summer and he's never had a late or over the limit. We are working on just payong the card down now.

funny enough, HSBC and BOA cards were two of the three we had, all with 8K and 10K limits respectiviely and in excellent standing.  But once Chapt7 was filed, they automatically closed them anyway. 

Yesterday, I had him apply to BOA at the pp suggestion, and there reasoning was due to the fact that BOA was included in the Chap7...ughhh...total catch 22 there.

Now, I have two cards CapOne and HSBC.  Would it help his credit if I put him on my card?

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have good history on your cards it would definitely help his scores to add him as an AU to either or both of your cards. I'm not sure if HSBC reports AU to CRAs, but Cap One does.

Have you tried Macys?  I've read a lot of good about them recently...not sure what they look for as far as scores and reports go though. Others here will be sure to know and you'll probably here from them soon.

Whatever cards you decide to app for I think I would wait until you've added him as AU and see that show up on his reports. He would probably have a much better  chance of approval for another card then.

I really am sorry you lost your good TLs...no one in this country should have to suffer the financial strain you've experienced because of medical issues.

Good luck to you and your family

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.