Did you mean: 

Huge Amex Platinum Welcome Offer 230K+

tag
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Huge Amex Platinum Welcome Offer 230K+

That's quite an offer. Thank for sharing @K-in-Boston 

Do you think that AMEX is still working on cooking up something for above Plat and below Black that was rumored pre-COVID?  

With all the added bonuses posted for new Gold cardholders and now this, makes me wonder if they decided to forego that option as these incentives are pretty strong. 

Message 11 of 105
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Thanks in advance for half the threads for November 2021..."Do I cancel after AF posts", with other half being "It made sense till the SUB, can't make it work, never meant to make it work, retention offer anyone???" 

I'd imagine December 2021 will be "How long will I keep getting this stupid NO SUB FOR YOU" pop up. 

And of course "How are you cashing out these Membership Rewards?   Shop with points at Amazon?"    (TBF, you could buy quite a lot with 230K)

Message 12 of 105
wasCB14
Super Contributor

"wasCB14, you are pre-approved!"

I may go for it...I had been wanting a Gold, but this is where the SUB is and with dining and supermarket promos it sort of is a Platinum/Gold hybrid. In a year I can apply for the Gold (if eligible for the SUB...big "if") or downgrade.

I take it the Uber credits will stack smoothly with my Schwab Platinum Uber credits? I won't have to create a second Uber account or anything, or use them on a separate ride? I'd get $30/$70 to use all in one transaction?

The JetBlue card will be arriving soon...but the only 3-month minimum spend is $1k on that. The rest is stretched out over 6/12 months.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 13 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

This would be good news for folks who we're recently approved for a Chase product and are now at or over 5/24. Seems like Resy's SUB for the AMEX Platinum extends timeline for 75K points after $5K in 3 months out to 6 months. If approved, I'd probably make this my main card for the 10x categories.

Message 14 of 105
digitek
Established Contributor

Hey boys,

Looks like I'm on the "No SUB" list =O

I was pre-approved for the card but got the infamous pop-up upon submission.

I have 3 open Amex cards and 3 closed. The 3 closed are a BCP I kept for about a year and half, (late 2017 - early 2019), a Delta Gold I only kept open for about 5 months back in early 2018, and an Amex Gold that I kept open for almost exactly a year, cancelling after 12 months earlier this year when the second AF hit (early 2019 - early 2020). This is my first time applying for an Amex since closing the Gold earlier this year, so I think that one in particular pissed them off (or maybe some kind of internal calculation for how much total in SUBS I have received).

Best of luck to others who snag this, the SUB alone is worth $600 after paying the AF and that is not accounting for the other perks of the card, I couldn't resist =D

Message 15 of 105
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I may go for this and then downgrade to Gold after a year.

My only hesitation is that I'll likely be unable to use the $200 airline extras credit for 2020. Or do any airlines still have eligible GCs that get the credit?

You won't be able to get gift cards, so just give up on that. However:

Southwest (very consistently) and Alaska (sometimes) will get auto reimbursement from AMEX for > $100 tickets, once you cancel ticket after 24 hours, place funds on hold, you should have twelve months to use the credit. I've burned off over $300 in AMEX credits this way. (It was extra nice when Southwest and Alaska did fare-> miles or points conversions this year.)

An Alaska charge sometimes needs you to chat with an AMEX rep over secure messaging.

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 16 of 105
wasCB14
Super Contributor

No pop-up for me!

Message 17 of 105
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

I may go for this and then downgrade to Gold after a year.

My only hesitation is that I'll likely be unable to use the $200 airline extras credit for 2020. Or do any airlines still have eligible GCs that get the credit?

You won't be able to get gift cards, so just give up on that. However:

Southwest (very consistently) and Alaska (sometimes) will get auto reimbursement from AMEX for > $100 tickets, once you cancel ticket after 24 hours, place funds on hold, you should have twelve months to use the credit. I've burned off over $300 in AMEX credits this way. (It was extra nice when Southwest and Alaska did fare-> miles or points conversions this year.)

An Alaska charge sometimes needs you to chat with an AMEX rep over secure messaging.

I don't think I've ever flown SW. Apart from LAX-SFO, they never seem to fly my routes non-stop. I really like non-stop.

I will occasionally fly Alaska...but some people report success with United Travel Bank reloads. I might take a gamble with those for 2020.

Message 18 of 105
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

No pop-up for me!

I got bit by "once in a lifetime SUB" language popup. I closed my Platinum (or rather, had it closed for me) in 2009 or so. Interestingly enough my 2009 era Gold did NOT trigger that language when I applied for one a while back. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Given that was a churn for a SUB anyway, I'm in a sense relieved that (save for maybe the CS/MS variants if I can get their prices down) I never have to worry about a AMEX Platinum card again, unless my spend pattern changes. It just doesn't work for me as a $550 AF card (lounges and benefits are "meh"). There is no reason for me to sign up for one minus a SUB.

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 19 of 105
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

No pop-up for me!

I got bit by "once in a lifetime SUB" language popup. I closed my Platinum (or rather, had it closed for me) in 2009 or so. Interestingly enough my 2009 era Gold did NOT trigger that language when I applied for one a while back. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Given that was a churn for a SUB anyway, I'm in a sense relieved that (save for maybe the CS/MS variants if I can get their prices down) I never have to worry about a AMEX Platinum card again, unless my spend pattern changes. It just doesn't work for me as a $550 AF card (lounges and benefits are "meh"). There is no reason for me to sign up for one minus a SUB.

The value of one Platinum, based on credits (incl. Schwab) and a few lounge visits, is pretty clear for me.

A second might not make sense long-term (especially without the Schwab credit of the first), but it's more wanting a Gold than dreading the next Platinum AF that would make me PC after a year.

Message 20 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.