Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge Amex Platinum Welcome Offer 230K+

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Huge Amex Platinum Welcome Offer 230K+

I order groceries for my in-laws through instacart since they live far enough out that there is no delivery. I have it all sent to my house. They come by, chat a bit, pick up their stuff, and hand me the cash for it. You can bet I will continue this arrangement.

Message 51 of 105
Azza
Regular Contributor

Okay so just got informed in a thread over about this.

How can we redeem MR? Somebody mentioned Amazon in here.
That AF is scary, but I could make this work. My wife and I are expecting so we are going to be doing quite a bit of shopping between now and next year. Either that, or we wait until we deliver (June expected) and then start raking in the rewards?

Thoughts/suggestions? Sitting at 774 EX. 1% Util, last HP was June this year (to Amex, who declined me, actually). 7 HP on file. First 3 removals will be March, June and September of next year.

Grocery spend is about $600/mo. Dining is about $500-700/mo easily. Gas is not really a big part of our spend, maybe only $40/mo max.

Expecting to buy some baby stuff obviously and with that many rewards, if it *can* be spent at Amazon, how much is it worth?

Thanks!

edit: oh, it's mainly a travel card. Well, that sort of takes me out of the running :/

Why are travel cards so heavy on the points but cash back cards are more conservative?

Currently Reporting:

Current Score:

Gardening Started with:

Message 52 of 105
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Azza wrote:

That AF is scary, but I could make this work. My wife and I are expecting so we are going to be doing quite a bit of shopping between now and next year. Either that, or we wait until we deliver (June expected) and then start raking in the rewards?

Thoughts/suggestions? Sitting at 774 EX. 1% Util, last HP was June this year (to Amex, who declined me, actually). 7 HP on file. First 3 removals will be March, June and September of next year.

Grocery spend is about $600/mo. Dining is about $500-700/mo easily. Gas is not really a big part of our spend, maybe only $40/mo max.

Expecting to buy some baby stuff obviously and with that many rewards, if it *can* be spent at Amazon, how much is it worth?

Thanks!

edit: oh, it's mainly a travel card. Well, that sort of takes me out of the running :/

Why are travel cards so heavy on the points but cash back cards are more conservative?

I currently see 0.7 cents per MR on Amazon. The better redemptions involve air travel.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 53 of 105
Trikoret
Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Azza wrote:

Thanks!

I currently see 0.7 cents per MR on Amazon. The better redemptions involve air travel.

Any reason why air redemptions are 1% and hotels 0.70? It be nice if Amex points can be redeemed like other Travel cards at 1% for travel. Especially Amex plat is a travel card

Message 54 of 105
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Trikoret wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Azza wrote:

Thanks!

Any reason why air redemptions are 1% and hotels 0.70? It be nice if Amex points can be redeemed like other Travel cards at 1% for travel. Especially Amex plat is a travel card

Hotel redemptions are 1.00 cents per point in Amex Travel just like most airfare (there are some deals on domestic travel, and international travel of 2 or more tickets particularly in the forward cabins can save hundreds with a lower price there).  The 0.7 cents per point redemptions are for Amazon, PayPal, Newegg, and Walmart (there may be others) when you use points at checkout.  Statement credit is 0.6 cents per point.

The reason travel offers a better redemption is because they get a small incentive when you book and they buy miles for less than the face value when you transfer.  When you redeem for statement credit, they're giving up all of the face value.  This is common among most premium travel cards.

Message 55 of 105
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Selected United as my "extras" airline and made two separate purchases of $100 TravelBank cash each. Recent DPs of it triggering the credit are encouraging.

It looks like the funds are good for at least five years.

Message 56 of 105
Trikoret
Contributor

I didn't know hotel redemptions are 1% on Amex Travel. Last time I tried to make reservations, it was like 0.70. This was a few years back. 

Message 57 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

Selected United as my "extras" airline and made two separate purchases of $100 TravelBank cash each. Recent DPs of it triggering the credit are encouraging.

Keep me posted on the United travel bank. Would go a long way for me 

Message 58 of 105
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Keep me posted on the United travel bank. Would go a long way for me 

It would definitely be nice. If it works, I might switch Schwab over in January and buy $400 of credits across the two cards. The Amex Delta Platinum covers most stuff. I pay Sky Club guest fees and bag fees for family flying A to B when I'm flying that same day A to C.

I think this feature has been around for about three months with United. I've read it codes as a special service ticket.

Not sure if anyone has found a workaround for Saks. In 2020 I've had 2 natural spend purchases there (stuff relatives wanted that I ran through my card), but 5 in the next 12 months will almost certainly involve some questionable choices. I guess there's always socks.

Message 59 of 105
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

DOC is saying some consumers are getting the all time high 125,000 AMEX point award, the $300 dining credit and the 10x MR on gas/groceries for 6 months. Check the prequalify tool I guess.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/highly-ymmv-american-express-platinum-125000-points-10x-grocery-gas-f...

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 60 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.