Huge Amex Platinum Welcome Offer 230K+

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Huge Amex Platinum Welcome Offer 230K+

@wasCB14 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@851 wrote:

I buy groceries and gas from Costco.  Would Costco qualify for the "10X MRs on grocery and gas for the first $15,000 in six months"

edit - might be moot if Costco does not accept AMEX today.

Warehouse clubs (Costco, BJ's, Sam's Club) and superstores (Walmart, Target) will not count as grocery.  Yes, Costco only accepts Visa in-store these days.  Gas will only count if done at a store coding as a gas station; usually warehouse club and grocery branded gas stations will not trigger gas categories; although with the latter there is a possibility that Stop & Shop, Kroger, Safeway, etc. gas station may code as grocery if they don't code as gas.  LOL

So far I have done all my Costco shopping in person and have only used Instacart to buy from traditional supermarkets. Sometimes Instacart purchases appear as "Instacart" and other times they appear as the supermarket itself. It has counted as "supermarket" either way.

I suppose you could place an order for Costco delivery through Instacart and might get 10x that way if it coded as Instacart. But I haven't tried that yet.

The prices would be a bit higher than in the warehouse and you'd have to pay fees and a tip, but the great 10x earn rate may reduce the effective cost of delivery enough that you find it worthwhile.

Even though I have a very good mask, with rising COVID cases I expect to have future Costco orders delivered and can report back eventually.

*And I assume you'd have to go through the Instacart website itself, rather than the Costco website and it's "Same Day Delivery Powered By Instacart" option.

Great point!  Found out the hard way on the first delivery order from BJ's that it codes as Instacart and I got 1% back instead of 5% using the BJs card, but it does trigger the 4x grocery category on Amex Gold which is at least 6.16% for me so that actually worked out better!

Message 71 of 105
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Selected United as my "extras" airline and made two separate purchases of $100 TravelBank cash each. Recent DPs of it triggering the credit are encouraging.

It looks like the funds are good for at least five years.

Keep me posted on the United travel bank. Would go a long way for me 

It would definitely be nice. If it works, I might switch Schwab over in January and buy $400 of credits across the two cards. The Amex Delta Platinum covers most stuff. I pay Sky Club guest fees and bag fees for family flying A to B when I'm flying that same day A to C.

I think this feature has been around for about three months with United. I've read it codes as a special service ticket.

Not sure if anyone has found a workaround for Saks. In 2020 I've had 2 natural spend purchases there (stuff relatives wanted that I ran through my card), but 5 in the next 12 months will almost certainly involve some questionable choices. I guess there's always socks.

@Anonymous 

Successfully reimbursed!

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 72 of 105
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

I see only a few reasons to move on this offer.

1) If you really think AMEX Platinum will be part of your long term card strategy.

2) If you are low on membership rewards and need the boost for upcoming travel.

3) If you aren't under any other promotional spend.

4) If you don't have otherwise any lounge access and need it otherwise.

Personally in my situation it would be overkill. Flying over the next year is not a given. I'd rather just continue making a run at Hyatt Explorist and with an extra 5,000 spend its 2 more qualifying nights. I was spotted 10 nights as part of WoH sign up promotion plus extedended earning years for everything, including until the end of 2021 for my free night after spending 15,000.

From my experience as well the best offers hit Nov-Feb. Last year AMEX Platinum had a 125,000 point offer that I was eligible for. I wouldn't worry about something like this coming back around.

Though if someone already has a few other Amex cards, getting a better offer may be tricky.

CardMatch has never produced a 100k offer for me. You were targeted for the 125k but I wasn't. So even without my particular interest in a workaround to Amex Gold, I figured this might be the best offer I was going to get on a regular Amex Platinum.

It really depends, IMO.  Lots of moving parts with this (or separate SUB) offers even for existing cardholders.  I have several AmEx CCs and used to have the Ameriprise Platinum just before that partnership ended.  So, since I was curious and for s&g's, I went ahead and checked out to see what offer would pop-up and it yielded the 100K promotion.  I'm still on the fence with this one so we'll see 😊

8B50D572-0B25-4ACC-8A7E-FF65E069D8C6.jpeg

Message 73 of 105
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

I see only a few reasons to move on this offer.

1) If you really think AMEX Platinum will be part of your long term card strategy.

2) If you are low on membership rewards and need the boost for upcoming travel.

3) If you aren't under any other promotional spend.

4) If you don't have otherwise any lounge access and need it otherwise.

Personally in my situation it would be overkill. Flying over the next year is not a given. I'd rather just continue making a run at Hyatt Explorist and with an extra 5,000 spend its 2 more qualifying nights. I was spotted 10 nights as part of WoH sign up promotion plus extedended earning years for everything, including until the end of 2021 for my free night after spending 15,000.

From my experience as well the best offers hit Nov-Feb. Last year AMEX Platinum had a 125,000 point offer that I was eligible for. I wouldn't worry about something like this coming back around.

Though if someone already has a few other Amex cards, getting a better offer may be tricky.

CardMatch has never produced a 100k offer for me. You were targeted for the 125k but I wasn't. So even without my particular interest in a workaround to Amex Gold, I figured this might be the best offer I was going to get on a regular Amex Platinum.

It really depends, IMO.  Lots of moving parts with this (or separate SUB) offers even for existing cardholders.  I have several AmEx CCs and used to have the Ameriprise Platinum just before that partnership ended.  So, since I was curious and for s&g's, I went ahead and checked out to see what offer would pop-up and it yielded the 100K promotion.  I'm still on the fence with this one so we'll see 😊

100k with no dining credit is a bit better than the 75k with the dining credit I took, but it's not as good as the 125k. And for all your Amex cards, presumably the average card spend is still reasonably high given your overall spend.

Or does the vast majority of your spend go to others issuers' products?

Message 74 of 105
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

I'm 5/24 until July 1st at the very least. But I always like to have something that I'm working on. Hyatt I have until 3/1/22 to hit Explorist which I think it a huge advantage so I'm going to go for that.

WoH Explorist is basically a points bonus and a couple of executive lounge upgrades (and a decent number of Hyatt hotels aren't doing executive lounges). I've had the status for years based on a corporate match some years ago + MLife Gold match that I cross match every year to retain that status without stays (though I haven't had the lounge upgrades for a couple of years- not enough stays). I've maybe gotten a nicer room occasionally out of the deal, plus the points bonus (TBH, MLife Gold is more useful for my travel because I stay at MGM properties occasionally in Vegas- though MLife Gold isn't very useful either, MLife barely knows you exist until Noir- it was mostly good for free parking at MGM properties pre-pandemic).

WoH Explorist is pretty useless compared to Hilton Gold if we're looking at midlevel hotel statuses- I've been Hilton Gold over the years as well so I feel pretty confident saying that (I've scored upgrades to suites as a Gold, not so much as an Explorist). WoH Globalist is where it's at (but I don't stay in any chain enough to get a status like that through natural travel)- you're getting actual suite upgrades you can use in advance at the time of reservation, waived resort fees, breakfast.

I can't say I'd pass up AMEX points I'd value at a couple thousand dollars in cash for WoH midlevel status, but it takes all kinds I guess. I admit to being curious as to your use case that makes it worth it.

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 75 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Selected United as my "extras" airline and made two separate purchases of $100 TravelBank cash each. Recent DPs of it triggering the credit are encouraging.

It looks like the funds are good for at least five years.

Keep me posted on the United travel bank. Would go a long way for me 

It would definitely be nice. If it works, I might switch Schwab over in January and buy $400 of credits across the two cards. The Amex Delta Platinum covers most stuff. I pay Sky Club guest fees and bag fees for family flying A to B when I'm flying that same day A to C.

I think this feature has been around for about three months with United. I've read it codes as a special service ticket.

Not sure if anyone has found a workaround for Saks. In 2020 I've had 2 natural spend purchases there (stuff relatives wanted that I ran through my card), but 5 in the next 12 months will almost certainly involve some questionable choices. I guess there's always socks.

@Anonymous 

Successfully reimbursed!

Good to know! May have to do it soon. Might have a nice travelbank balance shortly...especially with the 1k I also have in credit from United cancelations. 2021 has a possibility of being a decent travel year if things turn around soon.

Also found my local grocer is rolling  a 20% off bulk wine right now, so looks like now is the time for some 10x on wine fridge stocking up...

Message 76 of 105
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

I'm 5/24 until July 1st at the very least. But I always like to have something that I'm working on. Hyatt I have until 3/1/22 to hit Explorist which I think it a huge advantage so I'm going to go for that.

WoH Explorist is basically a points bonus and a couple of executive lounge upgrades (and a decent number of Hyatt hotels aren't doing executive lounges). I've had the status for years based on a corporate match some years ago + MLife Gold match that I cross match every year to retain that status without stays (though I haven't had the lounge upgrades for a couple of years- not enough stays). I've maybe gotten a nicer room occasionally out of the deal, plus the points bonus (TBH, MLife Gold is more useful for my travel because I stay at MGM properties occasionally in Vegas- though MLife Gold isn't very useful either, MLife barely knows you exist until Noir- it was mostly good for free parking at MGM properties pre-pandemic).

WoH Explorist is pretty useless compared to Hilton Gold if we're looking at midlevel hotel statuses- I've been Hilton Gold over the years as well so I feel pretty confident saying that (I've scored upgrades to suites as a Gold, not so much as an Explorist). WoH Globalist is where it's at (but I don't stay in any chain enough to get a status like that through natural travel)- you're getting actual suite upgrades you can use in advance at the time of reservation, waived resort fees, breakfast.

I can't say I'd pass up AMEX points I'd value at a couple thousand dollars in cash for WoH midlevel status, but it takes all kinds I guess. I admit to being curious as to your use case that makes it worth it.

You can match WoH Explorist through the whole industry.

WoH Explorist to M Life Gold

M Life Gold to Caesar Diamond

Caesar Diamond to Wyndham Diamond

Wyndham Diamond to Hilton Gold

It depends how you plan to use Hyatt. If the goal is business traveler you might not see as much benefit from Explorist but if the goal is to use it for suite upgrades at resorts it might be valuable. There is also 2pm checkout for Discoverist/Explorist over 12pm with Gold. Hyatt stays start at 5,000 points (5,000 Chase points basically).

A low end Hilton propery is around 15,000 points to book. Resort level its at least 35,000 points compared to 15,000 or 20,000 with Hyatt. I guess you can earn a lot of points with the Hilton credit card with its multipliers but the Hyatt system is more friendly if you are going to build your points with the Chase Trifecta and move them over, at least I had thought.

Hilton

45,000 points for a $180 dollar room.

Hyatt

5,000 points for an $80 dollar room.

Amex gives you a 1:2 ratio to Hilton so let's make it 22,500 points for $180 dollars. That is still spending $125 points per dollar with AMEX vs. $62.5 with Chase. Maybe you can earn 25% more points per dollar in the AMEX ecosystem than Chase with the 4x restaurant/grocery of the Gold but not double.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 77 of 105
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

It depends how you plan to use Hyatt. If the goal is business traveler you might not see as much benefit from Explorist but if the goal is to use it for suite upgrades at resorts it might be valuable. There is also 2pm checkout for Discoverist/Explorist over 12pm with Gold. Hyatt stays start at 5,000 points (5,000 Chase points basically).

When COVID diminishes and occupancy rises, the value of Hilton Gold may not be so great (at least within the US and at foreign properties that attract a lot of American travelers) when people can buy Diamond so easily via a US-issued CC.

Message 78 of 105
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

When COVID diminishes and occupancy rises, the value of Hilton Gold may not be so great (at least within the US and at foreign properties that attract a lot of American travelers) when people can buy Diamond so easily via a US-issued CC.

I'm not seeing Diamond as that much of a greater option than Gold via having the card as much as the greater Hilton earn rate and SUB from the card.

For instance TPG values Diamond at 3,050 as a perk but under the assumpion that you earned it with 72 nights.  They have Hilton Gold valued at 1,255 if you earned it with 48 nights. Per night Diamond is worth $42.36 per night and Gold $26.14 per night.

But if you are getting 150,000 points with the SUB and spending enough to earn 60,000 a year on the card that will probably outweigh the difference in status between Diamond and Gold.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 79 of 105
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

I'm not seeing Diamond as that much of a greater option than Gold via having the card as much as the greater Hilton earn rate and SUB from the card.

For instance TPG values Diamond at 3,050 as a perk but under the assumpion that you earned it with 72 nights.  They have Hilton Gold valued at 1,255 if you earned it with 48 nights. Per night Diamond is worth $42.36 per night and Gold $26.14 per night.

But if you are getting 150,000 points with the SUB and spending enough to earn 60,000 a year on the card that will probably outweigh the difference in status between Diamond and Gold.

Generally I take TPG status values with a grain of salt. They're part of a large marketing company and make their money through ads and referrals. I don't travel enough to do much with status, anyway.

But when a $450 card has an annual night and a $250 airfare extras credit, even someone who spends 2 or 3 nights a year in a Hilton may find it worthwhile to get the card. Infrequent guests can buy top status at virtually no cost, as long as they commit to a little travel.

And when all those Aspire cardholders start traveling more and hotel occupancy rises, the frequency of suite upgrades for Gold members may be a lot lower. At some properties I suspect the hotel rates themselves are set correspondingly higher...under the assumption most people will be getting a "free" breakfast.

Message 80 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.