cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge Amex Platinum Welcome Offer 230K+

dberryhill
Valued Contributor

Re: Huge Amex Platinum Welcome Offer 230K+

Whoa. I app'd at like 3pm central yesterday. Got my card at 10am today. I'll take it. 

Bourbon and bow ties.
Current Cards:



2020 Goals:
$100K total CL (through organic/soft pull growth; COMPLETE!)
750+ across bureaus
No real goal cards for now
Garden Forever.
Message 61 of 105
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: Huge Amex Platinum Welcome Offer 230K+


@Citylights18 wrote:


AMEX will offer transfer bonuses from time to time. Right off the bat then you're looking at 1.3 or 1.4 for those points. Then if you're buying a flight at half market price with them, that value grows to 2.6 or 2.8.

 

I've been at this rewards game for 18 months though and I'm still earning rather than burning, of which I haven't spent any of my points. Considering I'm going to continue to earn regardless I'd rather garden than over stockpile. 


Yeah that's the other thing... I'm earning points just to put them away for later.  I don't have any actual plans for them at this point.  So I'm not in a hurry to pump them up.  I'd rather just keep earning 4x and not pay any more in fees.

 

Of course I say that and when it's time to plan my next trip I'll come up 75-100K points short.  That would be my luck.

 

Message 62 of 105
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Huge Amex Platinum Welcome Offer 230K+


@Citylights18 wrote:

DOC is saying some consumers are getting the all time high 125,000 AMEX point award, the $300 dining credit and the 10x MR on gas/groceries for 6 months. Check the prequalify tool I guess.

 

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/highly-ymmv-american-express-platinum-125000-points-10x-grocery-gas-f...


I don't see anything in the article or comments about that. The 125k+10x and 100k+10x offers don't seem to have the $300 dining credit.

Spend: BofA PR + WWFCR, BBP, Schwab Platinum, CFF+CF, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Delta Platinum, "Old" SPG95
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC
Upgrade/downgrade games: BCE, EDP
SUB: JetBlue, Amex Platinum
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points spread across several programs.
Message 63 of 105
dberryhill
Valued Contributor

Re: Huge Amex Platinum Welcome Offer 230K+


@wasCB14 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

DOC is saying some consumers are getting the all time high 125,000 AMEX point award, the $300 dining credit and the 10x MR on gas/groceries for 6 months. Check the prequalify tool I guess.

 

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/highly-ymmv-american-express-platinum-125000-points-10x-grocery-gas-f...


I don't see anything in the article or comments about that. The 125k+10x and 100k+10x offers don't seem to have the $300 dining credit.


Correct. It's just 100+10x and 125+10x. 

Bourbon and bow ties.
Current Cards:



2020 Goals:
$100K total CL (through organic/soft pull growth; COMPLETE!)
750+ across bureaus
No real goal cards for now
Garden Forever.
Message 64 of 105
Citylights18
Established Contributor

Re: Huge Amex Platinum Welcome Offer 230K+


@MrDisco99 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:


AMEX will offer transfer bonuses from time to time. Right off the bat then you're looking at 1.3 or 1.4 for those points. Then if you're buying a flight at half market price with them, that value grows to 2.6 or 2.8.

 

I've been at this rewards game for 18 months though and I'm still earning rather than burning, of which I haven't spent any of my points. Considering I'm going to continue to earn regardless I'd rather garden than over stockpile. 


Yeah that's the other thing... I'm earning points just to put them away for later.  I don't have any actual plans for them at this point.  So I'm not in a hurry to pump them up.  I'd rather just keep earning 4x and not pay any more in fees.

 

Of course I say that and when it's time to plan my next trip I'll come up 75-100K points short.  That would be my luck.

 


I'm 5/24 until July 1st at the very least. But I always like to have something that I'm working on. Hyatt I have until 3/1/22 to hit Explorist which I think it a huge advantage so I'm going to go for that. Then check in July to see if I can get approved for a Freedom Flex. Gives me the gardening time without having it becoming idle time.

 

I feel like Citi is better for flights if you also have a Rewards+ than AMEX. Chase is better for hotels than AMEX. AMEX shines more in the shopping points and offers. What is the ultimate combo between the cards?

 

Citi Premier (3x transit, 3x travel)

Citi Rewards+ (2x gas, 2x grocery, 10% round ups)

Chase Saphire (2x doordash)

Chase Freedom Flex (3x dining, 3x drugstore, 5x categories)

 

That would be a good 75%-25% hotel-flight mix with an annual fee of only $180.

 

Go with a Cit Prestige instead and it flips 25%-75% hotel-flight with the 5x flight spend and you are looking at an AF of $340 after the travel credit. 

Official travel point totals as of 7/17/20 (361,553 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 152,226
World of Hyatt 94,737
AMEX Membership Rewards 63,796
AA Advantage 15,244
United MileagePlus 13,316
British Airways Avios 11,332
Citi Thank You 2,850
Hilton Honors 2,157
NASA Platinum Rewards 1883
Marriott Bonvoy 1,350
Jet Blue TrueBlue 885
Southwest Rapid Rewards 762
Expedia Points 740
Delta Sky Miles 175
Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100
Hotels.com Rewards 6/10 ($135.99)
Message 65 of 105
K-in-Boston
Moderator

Re: Huge Amex Platinum Welcome Offer 230K+

The Who's better for this/that will definitely vary on how you are redeeming points and what other cards you have.  If I compare MRs and TYPs for example, even though I have Rewards+ with its 10% rebate and Premier with its soon-to-be-dead 25% bonus, if I am using the travel portal 3x on Amex is worth much more than 3x on Citi.  If it's moving points for an award flight, the winners and losers will be all over the place depending on the transfer partner, the operating partner if different, availability, and the redeemer's capability of and/or willingness to navigate airline partner awards.

 

In your above example, you would want gas on Premier for 3x rather than Rewards+, the combined AF would be $190, and the 10% round ups are 10 point roundups.  Examples would be you spend $9.00 and they round it up to 10 points, you spend $1.23 they round it up to 10 points, you spend $7,398.42 they round it up to 7400 points - great for very small transactions in the $0.01-$3.00 range for instance but not so much once you get past $5 transactions.  There is a 10% rebate on points after redeeming them, however.

Message 66 of 105
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Huge Amex Platinum Welcome Offer 230K+


@K-in-Boston wrote:

The Who's better for this/that will definitely vary on how you are redeeming points and what other cards you have.  If I compare MRs and TYPs for example, even though I have Rewards+ with its 10% rebate and Premier with its soon-to-be-dead 25% bonus, if I am using the travel portal 3x on Amex is worth much more than 3x on Citi.  If it's moving points for an award flight, the winners and losers will be all over the place depending on the transfer partner, the operating partner if different, availability, and the redeemer's capability of and/or willingness to navigate airline partner awards.

 

In your above example, you would want gas on Premier for 3x rather than Rewards+, the combined AF would be $190, and the 10% round ups are 10 point roundups.  Examples would be you spend $9.00 and they round it up to 10 points, you spend $1.23 they round it up to 10 points, you spend $7,398.42 they round it up to 7400 points - great for very small transactions in the $0.01-$3.00 range for instance but not so much once you get past $5 transactions.  There is a 10% rebate on points after redeeming them, however.


True...Rewards+ is good for vending machines, but if you need to pay a $10k tax bill there are better off-category cards.

 

While SUB chasing is one thing, trying to sustain multiple programs of MR, UR, and/or TY in the long run may be tricky without high spend...and with high spend CSR generally makes more sense than CSP anyway.

Spend: BofA PR + WWFCR, BBP, Schwab Platinum, CFF+CF, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Delta Platinum, "Old" SPG95
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC
Upgrade/downgrade games: BCE, EDP
SUB: JetBlue, Amex Platinum
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points spread across several programs.
Message 67 of 105
851
New Contributor

Re: Huge Amex Platinum Welcome Offer 230K+

I buy groceries and gas from Costco.  Would Costco qualify for the "10X MRs on grocery and gas for the first $15,000 in six months"

 

edit - might be moot if Costco does not accept AMEX today.

Message 68 of 105
K-in-Boston
Moderator

Re: Huge Amex Platinum Welcome Offer 230K+


@851 wrote:

I buy groceries and gas from Costco.  Would Costco qualify for the "10X MRs on grocery and gas for the first $15,000 in six months"

 

edit - might be moot if Costco does not accept AMEX today.


Warehouse clubs (Costco, BJ's, Sam's Club) and superstores (Walmart, Target) will not count as grocery.  Yes, Costco only accepts Visa in-store these days.  Gas will only count if done at a store coding as a gas station; usually warehouse club and grocery branded gas stations will not trigger gas categories; although with the latter there is a possibility that Stop & Shop, Kroger, Safeway, etc. gas station may code as grocery if they don't code as gas.  LOL

Message 69 of 105
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Huge Amex Platinum Welcome Offer 230K+


@K-in-Boston wrote:

@851 wrote:

I buy groceries and gas from Costco.  Would Costco qualify for the "10X MRs on grocery and gas for the first $15,000 in six months"

 

edit - might be moot if Costco does not accept AMEX today.


Warehouse clubs (Costco, BJ's, Sam's Club) and superstores (Walmart, Target) will not count as grocery.  Yes, Costco only accepts Visa in-store these days.  Gas will only count if done at a store coding as a gas station; usually warehouse club and grocery branded gas stations will not trigger gas categories; although with the latter there is a possibility that Stop & Shop, Kroger, Safeway, etc. gas station may code as grocery if they don't code as gas.  LOL


So far I have done all my Costco shopping in person and have only used Instacart to buy from traditional supermarkets. Sometimes Instacart purchases appear as "Instacart" and other times they appear as the supermarket itself. It has counted as "supermarket" either way.

 

I suppose you could place an order for Costco delivery through Instacart and might get 10x that way if it coded as Instacart. But I haven't tried that yet.

 

The prices would be a bit higher than in the warehouse and you'd have to pay fees and a tip, but the great 10x earn rate may reduce the effective cost of delivery enough that you find it worthwhile.

 

Even though I have a very good mask, with rising COVID cases I expect to have future Costco orders delivered and can report back eventually.

 

*And I assume you'd have to go through the Instacart website itself, rather than the Costco website and it's "Same Day Delivery Powered By Instacart" option.

Spend: BofA PR + WWFCR, BBP, Schwab Platinum, CFF+CF, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Delta Platinum, "Old" SPG95
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC
Upgrade/downgrade games: BCE, EDP
SUB: JetBlue, Amex Platinum
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points spread across several programs.
Message 70 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.