Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge Amex Platinum Welcome Offer 230K+

Citylights18
Established Contributor

Re: Huge Amex Platinum Welcome Offer 230K+

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

I'm not seeing Diamond as that much of a greater option than Gold via having the card as much as the greater Hilton earn rate and SUB from the card.

For instance TPG values Diamond at 3,050 as a perk but under the assumpion that you earned it with 72 nights.  They have Hilton Gold valued at 1,255 if you earned it with 48 nights. Per night Diamond is worth $42.36 per night and Gold $26.14 per night.

But if you are getting 150,000 points with the SUB and spending enough to earn 60,000 a year on the card that will probably outweigh the difference in status between Diamond and Gold.

Generally I take TPG status values with a grain of salt. They're part of a large marketing company and make their money through ads and referrals. I don't travel enough to do much with status, anyway.

But when a $450 card has an annual night and a $250 airfare extras credit, even someone who spends 2 or 3 nights a year in a Hilton may find it worthwhile to get the card. Infrequent guests can buy top status at virtually no cost, as long as they commit to a little travel.

And when all those Aspire cardholders start traveling more and hotel occupancy rises, the frequency of suite upgrades for Gold members may be a lot lower. At some properties I suspect the hotel rates themselves are set correspondingly higher...under the assumption most people will be getting a "free" breakfast.

I see your point in that Diamond members will have first dibs on suite upgrades over Gold members. What kind of saturation will Aspire card holders have compared to those with lower status Hilton cards though?

Yes the $250 airline fee credit and $250 resort fee credit are nice offsets. Enough to cover the fee plus the free weekend night. Would you be better with the AMEX Platinum with its automatic Hilton gold status but higher SUB? Move the 231k points 1:3 to Hilton for 693k Hilton points when the 1:3 bonus transfer is offered? The whole point with the Platinum I thought is with its credits you don't need to carry a seperate hotel and/or airline card. 5x airfare and 5x hotels through AMEX travel. Move those points at 1:2 to Hilton its 10x, a 1:3 bonus to Hilton and its 15x.

Combine a AMEX Platinum and an Hilton Aspire?

14x Hilton Purchases

7x Hilton Dining (equivalent to 3.5x AMEX)

5x AMEX Flights

5x AMEX Hotels

3x Hilton Everything Else (equivalent to 1.5x AMEX)

$450 combined airline credit

$250 Hilton resort fee

$200 Uber Cash

One free weekend Hilton night

Centurion Lounge

Priority Pass

Use the AMEX travel portal and move those points earned over to Hilton when the 1:3 transfer bonus comes up. Then just buy nights with points at Hilton when you have enough.

Official travel point totals as of 7/17/20 (361,553 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 152,226
World of Hyatt 94,737
AMEX Membership Rewards 63,796
AA Advantage 15,244
United MileagePlus 13,316
British Airways Avios 11,332
Citi Thank You 2,850
Hilton Honors 2,157
NASA Platinum Rewards 1883
Marriott Bonvoy 1,350
Jet Blue TrueBlue 885
Southwest Rapid Rewards 762
Expedia Points 740
Delta Sky Miles 175
Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100
Hotels.com Rewards 6/10 ($135.99)
Message 81 of 105
iced
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Generally I take TPG status values with a grain of salt. They're part of a large marketing company and make their money through ads and referrals. I don't travel enough to do much with status, anyway.

But when a $450 card has an annual night and a $250 airfare extras credit, even someone who spends 2 or 3 nights a year in a Hilton may find it worthwhile to get the card. Infrequent guests can buy top status at virtually no cost, as long as they commit to a little travel.

And when all those Aspire cardholders start traveling more and hotel occupancy rises, the frequency of suite upgrades for Gold members may be a lot lower. At some properties I suspect the hotel rates themselves are set correspondingly higher...under the assumption most people will be getting a "free" breakfast.

I'd look at Hilton through the pre-Covid lens, in which case it's ... not great. As a HHonors Diamond, I got exactly 0...zero, none, zilch... upgrades to a suite. As a Gold, I have received exactly 0 ... nada, goose egg, love ... suite upgrades. I've been one of the two every year since 2014. On less-desirable properties or during odd times of the year, I'd get upgrades to the 'premium' room or club-level a lot with both tiers, but those are basically just a nice way of saying high floor or corner. The rooms themselves weren't anything better. I even struggled to land the elusive Diamond parking spots at the Hampton and Garden Inns.

I agree with the points made that the HHonors program is 1) flooded with points and easy multipliers to earn points easier to the point they're on their way to 1920s deutchemarks level of value and 2) there's so many Diamonds and Golds out there already. I would bet money if Hilton had people board rooms the way United boards planes, you'd see that half the entire hotel on any given night is over 50% Golds and Diamonds, and at the nicer resorts that number goes up to closer to 75% when you realize it's mostly people taking cheapo vacations with their family by burning their wheelbarrows of points they accrued doing credit card spend and business trips to mid-tier properties.

If anyone thinks for a hot second Gold or Diamond is going to open exclusive perks at a Hilton for anything except that "free" breakfast in the lounge or lobby, stop thinking it now and move on. If you want it for the point acceleration and/or reservation guarantee, then you've found the value in the program.

Message 82 of 105
Citylights18
Established Contributor

@iced wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

I'd look at Hilton through the pre-Covid lens, in which case it's ... not great. As a HHonors Diamond, I got exactly 0...zero, none, zilch... upgrades to a suite. As a Gold, I have received exactly 0 ... nada, goose egg, love ... suite upgrades. I've been one of the two every year since 2014. On less-desirable properties or during odd times of the year, I'd get upgrades to the 'premium' room or club-level a lot with both tiers, but those are basically just a nice way of saying high floor or corner. The rooms themselves weren't anything better. I even struggled to land the elusive Diamond parking spots at the Hampton and Garden Inns.

I agree with the points made that the HHonors program is 1) flooded with points and easy multipliers to earn points easier to the point they're on their way to 1920s deutchemarks level of value and 2) there's so many Diamonds and Golds out there already. I would bet money if Hilton had people board rooms the way United boards planes, you'd see that half the entire hotel on any given night is over 50% Golds and Diamonds, and at the nicer resorts that number goes up to closer to 75% when you realize it's mostly people taking cheapo vacations with their family by burning their wheelbarrows of points they accrued doing credit card spend and business trips to mid-tier properties.

If anyone thinks for a hot second Gold or Diamond is going to open exclusive perks at a Hilton for anything except that "free" breakfast in the lounge or lobby, stop thinking it now and move on. If you want it for the point acceleration and/or reservation guarantee, then you've found the value in the program.

Which I'd argue it would make more sense just to earn the points with the AMEX Platinum and transfer them over to Hilton 1:3 rather than daily drive a Hilton card (unless you had nothing better for restaurants, gas and grocery).

World of Hyatt 94,737
AA Advantage 15,244
Citi Thank You 2,850
Hilton Honors 2,157
Marriott Bonvoy 1,350
Jet Blue TrueBlue 885
Expedia Points 740
Delta Sky Miles 175
Message 83 of 105
iced
Valued Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

Which I'd argue it would make more sense just to earn the points with the AMEX Platinum and transfer them over to Hilton 1:3 rather than daily drive a Hilton card (unless you had nothing better for restaurants, gas and grocery).

For someone bent on getting HHonors points via non-Hilton spend, sure. For those frequent Hilton travelers who want to augment their points, the 14x on the Aspire is obviously going to win, though a lot of frequent Hilton guests just use their stays to accrue points and let CC spend go toward harder-to-acquire ecosystems like airline miles. This last approach beings to make sense when one realizes that a Diamond can bank 50-100k HHonors points for a 5-7 night stay pretty easily.

Message 84 of 105
Citylights18
Established Contributor

@iced wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

For someone bent on getting HHonors points via non-Hilton spend, sure. For those frequent Hilton travelers who want to augment their points, the 14x on the Aspire is obviously going to win, though a lot of frequent Hilton guests just use their stays to accrue points and let CC spend go toward harder-to-acquire ecosystems like airline miles. This last approach beings to make sense when one realizes that a Diamond can bank 50-100k HHonors points for a 5-7 night stay pretty easily.

Then you've just spent a lot of money on Hilton when you didn't need to. You can always top it off your Hilton purchase with the aspire and it also includes stuff like on resort spend.

Its not just the SUBs and the earning rates but how you intend to flow those points through the ecosystem.

World of Hyatt 94,737
AA Advantage 15,244
Citi Thank You 2,850
Hilton Honors 2,157
Marriott Bonvoy 1,350
Jet Blue TrueBlue 885
Expedia Points 740
Delta Sky Miles 175
Message 85 of 105
dberryhill
Valued Contributor

Not to jack the thread a little bit, but if we are talking about the Aspire--while YMMV, I've found it to be really great and easy to exceed AF when I am in a normal business travel year. Heck, even pretty easy this year now with the resort credit dining. I've stated in other threads, the diamond status gets me things at the places I typically stay in DC and other locations (e.g., $100 to spend at bar/restaurant, upgraded room, etc). It seems everyone is different though.

Back to the topic at hand--excited to see what I can get out of the Platinum. Now gonna try to find out what "supermarkets" around me carry some of the electronics I need (c'mon someone with a PS5...)

Bourbon and bow ties.
Current Cards:

2020 Goals:
$100K total CL (through organic/soft pull growth; COMPLETE!)
750+ across bureaus
No real goal cards for now
Garden Forever.
Message 86 of 105
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

@iced wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

Then you've just spent a lot of money on Hilton when you didn't need to. You can always top it off your Hilton purchase with the aspire and it also includes stuff like on resort spend.

Its not just the SUBs and the earning rates but how you intend to flow those points through the ecosystem.

But by earning miles, you may spend $1 more at a Hilton, but save $2+ on airfare.

I use my MRs for airline transfers, but I'd sooner cash out via Schwab than "dransfer" them to Hilton.

Spend: BofA PR + WWFCR, BBP, Schwab Platinum, CFF+CF, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Delta Platinum, "Old" SPG95
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC
Upgrade/downgrade games: BCE, EDP
SUB: JetBlue, Amex Platinum
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points spread across several programs.
Message 87 of 105
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

I'm 5/24 until July 1st at the very least. But I always like to have something that I'm working on. Hyatt I have until 3/1/22 to hit Explorist which I think it a huge advantage so I'm going to go for that.

WoH Explorist is basically a points bonus and a couple of executive lounge upgrades (and a decent number of Hyatt hotels aren't doing executive lounges). I've had the status for years based on a corporate match some years ago + MLife Gold match that I cross match every year to retain that status without stays (though I haven't had the lounge upgrades for a couple of years- not enough stays). I've maybe gotten a nicer room occasionally out of the deal, plus the points bonus (TBH, MLife Gold is more useful for my travel because I stay at MGM properties occasionally in Vegas- though MLife Gold isn't very useful either, MLife barely knows you exist until Noir- it was mostly good for free parking at MGM properties pre-pandemic).

WoH Explorist is pretty useless compared to Hilton Gold if we're looking at midlevel hotel statuses- I've been Hilton Gold over the years as well so I feel pretty confident saying that (I've scored upgrades to suites as a Gold, not so much as an Explorist). WoH Globalist is where it's at (but I don't stay in any chain enough to get a status like that through natural travel)- you're getting actual suite upgrades you can use in advance at the time of reservation, waived resort fees, breakfast.

I can't say I'd pass up AMEX points I'd value at a couple thousand dollars in cash for WoH midlevel status, but it takes all kinds I guess. I admit to being curious as to your use case that makes it worth it.

You can match WoH Explorist through the whole industry.

WoH Explorist to M Life Gold

M Life Gold to Caesar Diamond

Caesar Diamond to Wyndham Diamond

Wyndham Diamond to Hilton Gold

It depends how you plan to use Hyatt. If the goal is business traveler you might not see as much benefit from Explorist but if the goal is to use it for suite upgrades at resorts it might be valuable.

Some things:

- you know the AMEX Platinum (that you'd be be getting if you jumped on that offer) gives you Hilton Gold, right? Which can also be matched to Wyndham/Caesars?

- Suite upgrades are not a benefit for Explorist.

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/en/tiers-and-benefits.html#charts

You don't get suite upgrade instruments until you hit 50 nights (and at that point you're REALLY close to Globalist at 60 nights anyway).

- Signup bonuses count too. That's 100,000 AMEX + 10x for 6 months on groceries/gas for that Platinum card. That's a lot to pass up.

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k
Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k
Capital One Quicksilver 11k
AMEX Hilton Aspire 9.8k
Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL
Amex Gold NPSL
Amex Green NPSL
SoFi MC World Elite 8k
AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 7.5k
Rakuten Synchrony Visa 7k
PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k
Citi AA Mileup 6.9k
Petal2 VISA 6k
DiscoverIt Cashback 5k
Amazon/Synchrony 5k
Hotels.com 5k
Apple Card 3k
AMEX Delta Gold 3k
Cathay Pacific/Synchrony 2.5k
Target 800
Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 88 of 105
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

That's me. I have the Aspire because I can pencil it out as "you're being paid to keep this card, as long as you use the benefits" pretty easily. $250 resort credit that can be used to pay a room night + annual weekend night = weekend at a resort + $250 airfare on Southwest for $450. That's discounting the other benefits like Priority Pass and premium travel coverages to $0.

AMEX Hilton Aspire 9.8k
Amex Gold NPSL
Amex Green NPSL
SoFi MC World Elite 8k
PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k
Citi AA Mileup 6.9k
Petal2 VISA 6k
DiscoverIt Cashback 5k
Amazon/Synchrony 5k
Hotels.com 5k
Apple Card 3k
AMEX Delta Gold 3k
Target 800
Message 89 of 105
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@iced wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

I'd look at Hilton through the pre-Covid lens, in which case it's ... not great. As a HHonors Diamond, I got exactly 0...zero, none, zilch... upgrades to a suite. As a Gold, I have received exactly 0 ... nada, goose egg, love ... suite upgrades. I've been one of the two every year since 2014.

My experience is not exactly the same- I got suite and room upgrades outside the US (Europe, Asia) as a Gold, even a suite at the LAX Airport Hilton. I would agree that it's not amazing though, and that Hyatt Globalist or Marriott Titanium beats the pants off Hilton Diamond.

AMEX Hilton Aspire 9.8k
Amex Gold NPSL
Amex Green NPSL
SoFi MC World Elite 8k
PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k
Citi AA Mileup 6.9k
Petal2 VISA 6k
DiscoverIt Cashback 5k
Amazon/Synchrony 5k
Hotels.com 5k
Apple Card 3k
AMEX Delta Gold 3k
Target 800
Message 90 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.