Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Finally Do Give Up on Total Rewards Visa

tag
CGeorge
Frequent Contributor

I Finally Do Give Up on Total Rewards Visa

Two years ago, my credit score was in the high 500's/low 600's - and I could understand why Comenity closed my Total Rewards Visa account in less than a month - I was definitely in the "rebuild" stage as far as my credit was going, so I even marveled when they offered me the card. I accepted and they issued it with a $5,000 SL. I had charged around $300 by the time that they had closed it - and I immediately paid them off. I have/hand had other Comenity cards: Wayfair, Woman Within, Peebles and before they closed it, the Marathon Visa. All were PIF every month, and never was a payment even 1 day late. Well, now it is a little more than two years later - abd they offered me the Total Rewards Visa card again, this time with an SL of $5,500. I hesitate, but I accepted. I had really always wanted the card - and I am going to Las Vegas next month, and I am staying in a Caesar's property. I received the card, charged a $26 dinner, and again, they closed it. And I am certain that their reasoning will be the same, too many recent inquiries. Two years ago, I had way, way too many. I still have a number of hard inquiries in 2017, but nothing like before. However, my TransUnion FICO 8 is 702 and my Experian FICO 8 is 707. My Equifax FICO 8 is only 678. I have made TREMENDOUS progress throughout my rebuilding - with several major and sought after cards with SLs in excess of 10K - as for Comenity and their Total Rewards Visa card - I give up! So I was able to cheer myself up today with my Credit Limit Increase request from Discover Miles - they boosted me from $9,700 to $13,000. Now this is NICE! Does anyone know if the M Life Mastercard for MGM reward program is difficult to get?? Many thanks for reading!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I Finally Do Give Up on Total Rewards Visa

I've had mine for more than 4 years.  22.99% APR.  The only reason I have not closed it is because Comenity BTs can't be beat.  Usually $0 fees, 0% APR for 18 months.

With a credit score over 700, there are way better cards out there.  Mine is on the chopping block because I also have the Sportsmans Guide Visa which gives me the same BT offers.

You might suffer from Stockholm Syndrome.

Message 2 of 5
CGeorge
Frequent Contributor

I think that you hit the nail on the head about the Stockholm Syndrome! But no more.

I have GREAT cards - six AmEx cards (and the CashMagnet with 0% purchases and BTs through sometime in 2020),  Ally Cashback Visa, Capital One Quicksilver, Discover IT - and many others. 

I own no balances on any of my cards - and I use them all frequently. I pay balances as soon as they post.

It is just that that Total Rewards Card was so elusive! And now - going to Las Vegas next month - I would like to possess a card where I can use it for benefits.

I am one who hates to spend even one dime without SOME kind of reward behind it!

Thanks!

Message 3 of 5
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

2 years ago, my scores were in the upper 600s. I kept trying to get the TRV SCT to pop for me and after 3 months of trying, it finally did.  I apped and got immediately declined Smiley Sad 

Fast forward to today, my scores are 800s, my reports are crystal clean, 4/24.  With all the options open to me, I still look at the TRV popup on my screen and dream of hitting accept. The rewards program sucks and Mlife isnt much better.  Still .... part of me still wants these cards.

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 4 of 5
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Just forget about Comenity. To me it's really unprofessional to pull someone's credit, issue a card and close it almost immediately. Nothing had changed in your profile. Wouldn't it make more sense to deny the application outright instead of wasting time mailing out a card they were going to close a week later? I just don't get it.

So to me, why trust doing anything financial with a company that disorganized? Besides, the TR rewards program isn't that great anyway IMO. No big loss.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.