Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Have No Credit Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I Have No Credit Cards

Hi there, I'm new to this forum. About 5 years ago I made the mistake of getting rid of all of my credit cards and deciding it was "pay cash or nothing" because of the economy and crazy rates and now the fact that I've paid off my car loan and have no credit card debt is actually not helping my credit score which is 657 now. I own my own home, pay the mortgage regularly and make over $100,000 per year. I'd like to get a credit card that will be helpful to my credit mix. How about the Platinum AMEX card? I travel a lot so I like I like those perks and don't mind the fees. Any advice? Do you think I would qualify for that card?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

Re: I Have No Credit Cards

Welcome

The chances of you getting approved for AMEX platinum is zero to none, unless the criteria requirements changed. Try getting approved for a securd card, then move on from there. Good luck.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 2 of 15
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@TheCreditKid wrote:

Welcome

The chances of you getting approved for AMEX platinum is zero to none, unless the criteria requirements changed. Try getting approved for a securd card, then move on from there. Good luck.

Really think it's that low?  The OP's main issue seems to be no credit cards.  There isn't a mention of negatives.  I don't know if it's that out of reach.

OP, did you have a prior relationship with Amex?  If you had one of their cards before and closed it in good standing, I'd think that would go a long way toward you being able to open a new card with them even if you don't have any other open cards.

Do you have any negative items, late payments, etc.?  If so, how old?

Have you tried Amex's pre-approval page.  See if anything comes up for you.  One thing though that might help is to open another card before applying for the Amex.  If you have no other credit cards, you'll probably see a score bump once you add at least one card. 

Also, if you're really interested in the Amex Plat, and you don't care about an inquiry, you could just apply and see what happens.  It's really not that big of a deal in my opinion to take an inquiry to see what happens if you don't already have a lot of inquiries and you don't plan on buying a house or car anytime soon.  And from your post, it doesn't sound like you've been applying for a lot of credit lately, so you likely have few inquiries.

ETA:  Where did you get that 657 score and for which CRA?

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to what you will read here, the AMEX Zync is the "entry level" card and, some folks have found it difficult to qualify for on their first try.  Read through the posts that talk about the AMEX Zync and go from there.

I wish you the best as you re-enter credit-card land.  I'm right there with you in making the mistake of going "all cash" for too many years.  I hope you got your score directly from FICO, otherwise, you may find yourself like me -- with NO FICO score at all. Smiley Surprised 

Message 4 of 15
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

You've got a few things going for you. 

- Your credit cards most likely haven't dropped off the CRAs yet. 

- You have a mortgage

- Your car loan most likely hasn't dropped off the CRAs yet. 

With that being said; your lack of any open credit cards makes your file look thin. You'll likely not get approved for the card you're looking for initially. 

Then again, who knows. Your past credit may be enough to overcome the current lack of credit cards. 

Since you're looking for an AmEx anyway; I'd probably apply for the card you really want.  If you get declined, immeditely try a recon. If the recon fails, promptly apply for one of the AmEx cards that is easier to get, like the Zync. Make sure to do this all in one day (weekday, during normal business hours; in case you need the recon).

If you also get declined for the Zync; then I'd seriously consider a secured card, to at least get the ball rolling.

After a while of gardening; you should be in great shape, to get the card you really want.

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would apply and see what happens. If you get instant denial on the Platinum, I would call for a reconsideration. If still no go, you can apply for one of their other charge cards right away to at least get your foot in the door until you can get the platinum. So long as the app is the same day, you will only get hit with one inquiry. You have a good salary and a mortgage. AMEX has its own internal scoring system, so who knows. It is not just based on score. You could get approved. You have a good salary and history with prior credit cards and your mortgage. I know someone with a 640 score who was approved.

If you are looking to improve your score, I would add a charge and a revolver (even if just one revolver). 

Message 6 of 15
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Just for comparison's sake, Amex approved me for the PR Gold card in October 2010 with a 645 EQ FICO.  Now, Amex pulls EX, and I didn't know it at the time, but my EX FICO is about 50 points higher than my EQ score, so I am sure that was a factor.  But, I had 7 accounts with major late payments, ranging from 60 days up to 150 days on the worst account.  At time of application, my most recent late payment was not quite 2 years old, about 22 months old.  Compensating factors were that I had a previous relationship with Amex, and the card was closed in good standing, never late.  I had decent income.  I did have one open CC when I applied wheras you have none.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your advice. What credit card would you recommend that I open before applying for an AMEX card? Or should I buy another car so I have an auto loan which will start showing my regular payments along with my mortgage? Or do both? My 657 score is Experian. No previous AMEX card but I'll try AMEX's pre-approval page -- just didn't want to have a formal inquiry on my credit that might take it down a few points.
Message 8 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would go ahead and apply for the Platinum... Zync is not easier to get then Platinum...

Citi Forward is pretty good option to probably

If overseas a lot I would look into cards that don't charge the foreign fees.

Message 9 of 15
timmis1127
Regular Contributor

If i were you i would start off small and work your way up, Amex is a pain to get approved for especially if you have no credit card history. I would try Barclays or the Amex Zync.

I am pretty sure you will get a instant denial if you try the Platinum and their reason will be not enough credit card history. 

Barclays has a really good recon system if you get an instant denial.

GOOD LUCK!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.