Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Have No Credit Cards

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: I Have No Credit Cards

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for your advice. What credit card would you recommend that I open before applying for an AMEX card? Or should I buy another car so I have an auto loan which will start showing my regular payments along with my mortgage? Or do both? My 657 score is Experian. No previous AMEX card but I'll try AMEX's pre-approval page -- just didn't want to have a formal inquiry on my credit that might take it down a few points.

Another installment loan (mortgage, auto) won't do much. The FICO score puts a lot of weight on open revolving credit, because it's riskier to manage.

Where did you get the Experian score? Unless you got it from a mortgage lender or if you belong to a Pennsylvania credit union called PSECU, Experian won't allow consumers to buy our own EX FICO's any more. Smiley Mad But they will be delighted to sell you what we call a FAKO from their website, and all the credit scores that you get from credit monitoring services are FAKO's as well. (There are more than one type of FAKO.)

Anyway, you might do better with AmEx than others would think. You could always call up their customer service and explain that you'd like to get back into CC usage. The charge cards (Platinum, Zync, Gold, etc.) are easier to get than the revolvers (Blue, etc.), because they can control your usage tightly as they get used to you. Also,, they get a nice big fee out of you, especially with the Platinum. Smiley Happy

Otherwise, I'd suggest starting with a local credit union. Many credit unions (certainly not all) pull Equifax reports and use their FICO score, called Beacon 5.0 in the industry. You might consider buying your FICO Equifax score report here at myfico, printing the whole thing out (report AND score), and visiting local credit unions. Show a loan officer the score and report, tell them it's a Beacon 5.0, and ask if they think that you would qualify for a CC based on what they see. If you decide to apply, they'll have to pull another one for real (=hard inquiry), but you might save yourself a denial this way. Save the score report to disk and/or print out a copy for your files, because it doesn't stay online forever.

An additional possibility is whomever you bank with and/or your mortgage source, if they also do CC's. This used to be a good tactic, back when banks acted like they had an ongoing business relationship with consumers. Talk to a loan officer at your bank first, though; they might be able to warn you off if it would be an automatic denial.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP HAS credit history. I still say apply for the Platinum and default to another AMEX charge product if necessary (Zync, Green, Gold). I would ALSO add a revolver into the mix. 

The closed credit card accounts still show on the credit reports because they are only 5 years old, and OP has good mortgage payment history.

I agree with moderator....the charge products are easier to obtain, and Amex loves to collect those nice AFs. Don't get another installment loan. It won't help.

Zync should be a given. My 19 year old has it. But I always say, apply for the product you want first. I have many revolvers now...I treat them as if they were charge cards and I always pay in full. I have my accounts set up on autopay. Easy peasy.

Message 12 of 15
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

The last 2 posts were removed because neither was friendly, supportive, or respectful.

We can disagree with what someone has done or written but let's respond in the proper manner.

Message 13 of 15
castlefox
Regular Contributor

Yea I dont think another auto loan would help you out very much. 

I would agree with haulingthescreup with applying with a credit union credit card first because I think it would be easer to get a lower APR credit card to start and you could prolly get a sizeable credit line from a CU with your credit report.

MyFICO score- Equifax - 12.03.11 - 780 Experian 12.03.11 - 763
(FAKO Scores) EXP PLUS Score Dec 2011. 748
Advanced Risk Score 2.0 (NextGen) 793 Dec 2010
Vantage Score (2011) MAR = 771 Jun = 771 Sept= 788 Dec= 773
2012 MAR = 782 JUN=783 Dec = 789
2013 Mar-796 Jun-799 Dec- 797
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you live near a Macy's? Macy's has two credit cards. One is the regular Macy store card, and one is what I call a "double" card. It used to be a Macy Visa, but now it's a Macy Amex! I believe that it counts as two different credit lines with two different bills. Perhaps if you get the Macy card and are not automatically approved for the Amex part, you might get it later. I think that you can apply for the Macy card online, but if you want the Macy Amex, you must apply in the store.

https://www.macys.com/service/credit/applynow/creditapp.ognc

Anyway, that might be one way to get an Amex.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.