cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I KEEP getting DISCOVER offers, DESPITE "THIN LINE" and Chase Denial.

tag
Enmie

I KEEP getting DISCOVER offers, DESPITE "THIN LINE" and Chase Denial.

Hi, guys, for 5 consecutive months now, I kept receiving Discover Card offers, and my risk averse nature would recuse me from applying. I checked my credit reports and they all state that I have a THIN LINE (insufficient history of credit, no delinquencies) I only have a one-time clean 2005 credit line history and then I got ill for years, paid my dues all via debit card, no credit card.

1. Chase declined my application, immediately after that, Discover started pouring in offers it's the fifth letter I received from them now. I thought Discover Cards are very strict even for those with high FICOs. I don't even earn enough income, not a student either. WIll I get declined? Is this a dud? Krial got approved despite their mid-range FICO and very high >50% CU. I have no utilization. I only have a debit from a Credit Union.
  2. Could my mom add me to her instantly recently approved BCE card as an AU/authorized user, or will it downgrade / negatively affect her FICO because of my "thin line" history or will it be fine?

Thank you so much to you all for previously helping my mom's case.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: I KEEP getting DISCOVER offers, DESPITE "THIN LINE" and Chase Denial.

@Enmie wrote:

Hi, guys, for 5 consecutive months now, I kept receiving Discover Card offers, and my risk averse nature would recuse me from applying. I checked my credit reports and they all state that I have a THIN LINE (insufficient history of credit, no delinquencies) I only have a one-time clean 2005 credit line history and then I got ill for years, paid my dues all via debit card, no credit card.

1. Chase declined my application, immediately after that, Discover started pouring in offers it's the fifth letter I received from them now. I thought Discover Cards are very strict even for those with high FICOs. I don't even earn enough income, not a student either. WIll I get declined? Is this a dud? Krial got approved despite their mid-range FICO and very high >50% CU. I have no utilization. I only have a debit from a Credit Union.
  2. Could my mom add me to her instantly recently approved BCE card as an AU/authorized user, or will it downgrade / negatively affect her FICO because of my "thin line" history or will it be fine?

Thank you so much to you all for previously helping my mom's case.

Welcome to the forum.  Have you tried their pre-qual site? Sounds like you may be receiving their marketing letters. As it is difficult to advise other than, apping and hoping for the best.

regarding your second question- being added as an AU or ACM will not harm the primary's credit unless you 1) run up the card; 2) are responsible for making pyts and fail to do so.

also, you have asked this question across several different posts.  Please allow your question to be addressed in one thread as to avoid confusion/ duplication. 

Thank you. 

Message 2 of 6
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Why don't you apply for a card through your credit union and start building your file there? Credit unions are generally very generous to their members.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 3 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Enmie wrote

WIll I get declined?

Possibly.  We can't tell you for certain either way.  It's just marketing.

Enmie wrote

will it downgrade / negatively affect her FICO because of my "thin line" history or will it be fine?

Being an AU doesn't add your credit profile to her credit profile. Her account will be listed on your credit profile.
Message 4 of 6
Enmie

Hi, what are "pyts". Thank you so much for your input, you've been a great help!! :'(

Message 5 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Enmie wrote:

Hi, what are "pyts". Thank you so much for your input, you've been a great help!! :'(

Pyts = payments

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.