Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Need a Travel Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I Need a Travel Card

Ok, so its been a long while since I've been a regular here. Life gets in the way sometimes, I suppose. This forum has been IMMENSELY helpful to me in my journey for better credit!

I'm looking to add a nice, versatile travel card to my wallet. I have a Diners Club and Amex Delta/PRG. Looking for one that is able to transfer to many different airlines and hotels, with a minimal >100 annual fee. Any thoughts?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I Need a Travel Card

Chase Sapphire Preferred
Message 2 of 17
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Chase Sapphire Preferred

I would go premeir over csp especially with 60k signup bonus that has been floating around. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Chase Sapphire Preferred

+1 Best card for what you are looking for. Especially with the ability to transfer.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I figured the CSP would be up there! Mongstradamus, what premier card are you talking about?

Message 5 of 17
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I figured the CSP would be up there! Mongstradamus, what premier card are you talking about?

Citi premeir is going to be my goto travel dining gas card, thats where it trumps CSP. Premeir gives 3x travel vs 2x for csp, same persk for restaurants, and 3x at gas stations that CSP doesn't even cover. 

My TYP MR and UR are all going to SQ probably so thats why premeir is a better fit for me since all three programs transfe to sq. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 6 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, so its been a long while since I've been a regular here. Life gets in the way sometimes, I suppose. This forum has been IMMENSELY helpful to me in my journey for better credit!

I'm looking to add a nice, versatile travel card to my wallet. I have a Diners Club and Amex Delta/PRG. Looking for one that is able to transfer to many different airlines and hotels, with a minimal >100 annual fee. Any thoughts?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Very common question and there is a travel card guide written somewhere that gives the basics. The main questions are what are your goals? Do you want premium international travel? Cheap domestic travel? What airlines service your nearest HUB? Where do you want to go? Do you have status with any hotels/airlines? Do you have a preference for any particular hotel chains? How often will you travel and for how long each time?

For flexible points which it seems that you are asking about we are talking chase ultimate rewards, amex membership rewards, amex spg and citi TY. Depending on the number of new accounts you have had you may not even be able to get a Chase UR card. If you like amex MR points then you can look at the everyday card or the everyday preferred depending on your spend. If you want to use starpoints which can go to a number of airlines or be used on starwood hotels you can get the 30k signup now. Don't limit yourself to sub-$100 AF cards. Take a look at the benefits and see if you would be able to maximize them, if so you could offset the AF quite a bit or maybe all together. The prestige can be an example of this depending on how you will use it. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 17
yfan
Valued Contributor

This would add to your Amex portfolio, but the Amex SPG card is pretty good. Recently it raised the AF to $95 (first year free), but added the benefits of no FTF, Boingo hotspot access, free in-room premium wifi on SPG properties, and a 30,000 point bonus. SPG points are regarded as highly valuable as far as the points currencies go and are transferable to airlines as well.

Message 8 of 17
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Chase Sapphire Preferred

Think the CSP is only offering 40k points at the moment. Depending upon their app history this could also be an auto denial by Chase. I note they do not have the freedom card which could limit their ability to earn URs as well. This card may still work for some people, but given some of the changes to the card and the associated travel partner programs its not the automatic go to card that it used to be. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Chase Sapphire Preferred

I would go premeir over csp especially with 60k signup bonus that has been floating around. 

60k offer is gone.  RIP

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.