cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I PIF. Is it worth my time to ask for an APR reduction?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I PIF. Is it worth my time to ask for an APR reduction?

Both my cards are > 20% APR. I always PIF. Is it worth my time to seek a reduction? Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I PIF. Is it worth my time to ask for an APR reduction?

I would. Over 20 percent is high. Even if you pay in full, those interest rates will keep rising with the fed doing rate hikes now. Also, your scores say you deserve a lower APR. Even if you always PIF, I'd do it. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree...there is no downside of having the lowest APR whether or not you PLAN on using it

And least not forget LIFE may dictate the use of those cards in a different manner than your accustom to, things happen so why not put yourself in the best position while things are going exceeding well...just in case.

Too often, we don't take advantage of preparing for rainy days when it easily might have been right there for the asking, more often we wait till for a 'problem' which wouldn't have been a big deal at all or at least a lot less, had we prepped even just a little bit, during all those sunny days 😎
Just ask....God only knows when you might want to self-finance a purchase over a 3-4 month period, which isn't a big deal, even at 20% minus XYZ cash back but it's even better at 15 or 10% right?😉
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The chances of Chase lowering your APR on your Freedom is virtually nil but I guess it can't hurt to ask.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

😂😂@Irish80 is right about Chase😚
I was responding in general, can't see siggys from my phone, so flying blind other than text of the questions 😎
Message 5 of 14
kdm31091
Super Contributor

There's no downside to asking, and the time investment is pretty minimal. That said, Chase doesn't lower APR, so I wouldn't bother asking them. Discover is usually amenable to requests so no harm in asking them.

Message 6 of 14
newhis
Valued Contributor

Chase, no.

Discover, yes.

With Discover you can ask every 6 months for APR reduction. They even offer 0% for 12 months on new purchases sometimes. I was able to lower from 20+ to 13.99% after a couple of years. Now I'm at 0% for 12 months again.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it's a great idea to secure the best rates in case you ever do carry a balance.  I found it was impossible to get mine reduced once I already had significant debt. Then I was stuck.

Message 8 of 14
Mrm-na
New Contributor

If you'd like to have a card available to you with a lower APR, then the easiest time to get that is when your credit profile doesn't suggest to creditors that you need it.

If you ask for a reduction, make sure they don't mistake this as a request for help with a hardship. It needs to just be a permanent reduction in the ongoing APR. If you ask for the reduction on an account that doesn't have a balance then I don't think there's any risk of that being misunderstood.

Besides asking for a reduction, another way to get a lower APR is to just apply for another card.  If your credit is currently in a good state for applying, then this might give you a significantly lower APR than what you'll get asking for a reduction on one of the existing accounts. It seems like lenders are far more resistant to lowering APRs than they are to raising limits, for whatever reason. Lots of creditor web sites make it easy to ask for CLIs, but I've never heard of any that have a "lower my APR" button.

Prequal sites might give you an idea of what APR you can expect. If you apply directly in response to a prequal, then I think you might be guaranteed that rate (or else they decline it). Somebody can correct me if that's wrong.

Prequals might even tell you what will happen with a cold app.  I recently checked for Chase prequals and they offered a FU at the low end of the advertised APR range. I didn't want the FU though, I wanted the 5% Freedom. I worried that a cold app would never receive the lowest rate, but I did it anyway, and to my surprise they did give me the same rate that the FU prequal had offered.

I don't think Chase is the best for low APRs, but I'm just saying that prequals can be informative of what to expect from a lender.  For some reason Citibank didn't like me much, their prequals had very high APRs.  CapOne was the lowest for me.  You can use the prequals to shop around.

But if this isn't a good time for applying, then don't.  You'll get an optimal APR by applying at an optimal time.

Message 9 of 14
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Both my cards are > 20% APR. I always PIF. Is it worth my time to seek a reduction? Thanks!

I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask but it also seems like a frivolous thing to do if you always PIF. I would say it's not worth your time because you're spending time and effort trying to get something you don't need, won't use, and has no effect on your credit scores (unless they do a HP).

If you're planning to not PIF in the future, then it makes more sense.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.