1x American Express             12.7k

1x Discover                               6.2k

1x Barclaycard                         10k

1x TD Bank                               10k

1x HSBC                                   9.5k

1x Vital FCU                            10k

1x MTC FCU                            10k

1x Statefarm                           14k

1x MTC FCU revolving overdraft...not really a card, but allows my checks to act like one.    8k 

Total revolving credit limits.....176.1 k    Only card that carries a balance is Vital FCU that my sister uses and pays 5200/10000 balence to limit. Only other debt is 17.8k mortgage, and an auto loan my Neice pays and it will be her vehicle when paid...7.8k owed on original 18 k loan at 1.95% interest rate Vital CU. My home value is 128k, and I have about 400k in deferred tax savings, and about 80k value of other property. Total net worth is around 580k if all was liquidated, but 400k of that would be taxable. The 80k includes vehicles, guns, tvs, gold and silver coins etc. It would probably be a little higher than that actually. I receive 2150 SSDI monthly, and can withdraw any needed amount from the deferred savings, and most of the 2150 is non-taxable.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 1 of 77
76 REPLIES 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I am running out of banks for credit cards

Tripple dip chase, Amex, and wack Citi again.

Message 2 of 77
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Is there a strategy that you're focused on for acquiring a variety of cards (i.e. SUBs, rewards, travel, etc.), or is it primarily just collecting them from different institutions? Are you opposed to 2 different CCs from the same bank or are you hitting a ceiling on approvals based on income?
Message 3 of 77
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Sounds to me like you do not need any additional credit at this time, @sarge12 

Message 4 of 77
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

I have cards from the following banks and credit unions

1x Wells Fargo                       15k

2x Bank of America               18k

2x Citi                                       15.5k

1x US Bank                              11.2k

1x Chase                                  16k

1x Capital One                         10k

1x American Express             12.7k

1x Discover                               6.2k

1x Barclaycard                         10k

1x TD Bank                               10k

1x HSBC                                   9.5k

1x Vital FCU                            10k

1x MTC FCU                            10k

1x Statefarm                           14k

1x MTC FCU revolving overdraft...not really a card, but allows my checks to act like one.    8k 

Total revolving credit limits.....176.1 k    Only card that carries a balance is Vital FCU that my sister uses and pays 5200/10000 balence to limit. Only other debt is 17.8k mortgage, and an auto loan my Neice pays and it will be her vehicle when paid...7.8k owed on original 18 k loan at 1.95% interest rate Vital CU. My home value is 128k, and I have about 400k in deferred tax savings, and about 80k value of other property. Total net worth is around 580k if all was liquidated, but 400k of that would be taxable. The 80k includes vehicles, guns, tvs, gold and silver coins etc. It would probably be a little higher than that actually. I receive 2150 SSDI monthly, and can withdraw any needed amount from the deferred savings, and most of the 2150 is non-taxable.

OK.

Message 5 of 77
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
Is there a strategy that you're focused on for acquiring a variety of cards (i.e. SUBs, rewards, travel, etc.), or is it primarily just collecting them from different institutions? Are you opposed to 2 different CCs from the same bank or are you hitting a ceiling on approvals based on income?

My strategy the past few years is to get the best credit card offers I find without ever having more than 2 at any bank. Usually one will be for the SUB and any added benefit. This time it was the US Bank Quicken, that gives me a free year of my quicken plus 100 dollars SUB. The second card I want to be at least 1.5% cash back and have some other benefit that will make me want to use that card. This card with 3% cash back everywhere and 10% of the annual rewards as a bonus fits the bill, but the free equifax fico score was the final thing about it that made me choose it. I try to deversify my cards to prevent any cards closure from negatively affecting my utiliation or any other scoring metrics and limit it to 2 cards per year.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 6 of 77
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@sarge12  I'm confused.  Why do you want more cards?  Are you just collecting them or do they serve a purpose?  You don't mention which cards you have with which banks or where your monthly spending goes as far as cash-back rewards cards, so we can't help you there. 

If you're just collecting cards, there are plenty of more options! 

You're just getting started.  Smiley Happy

As mentioned, double-dip some of the large banks. 

Most will give you at least two or three cards.

You have nothing from Synchrony or Comenity.  PayPal Mastercard 2% CB? Lowe's? Etc ...

Here is the full list of 163 Comenity-bank partner credit cards including

Big Lots, DSW Shoes, Eddie Bauer, Red Roof Inn, Toyota, and

Victoria's Secret.  Smiley Wink

https://www.crediful.com/comenity-bank-credit-cards/

BBVT?  BBVA? SDFCU? Simmons Bank?  Key Bank?

There are hundreds of good credit unions also.

How about one of the new Goldman-Sachs Apple Cards?

I saw nothing on your list from First National Bank of Omaha FNBO or their subsidiary First Bank that issues the Ducks Unlimited cards with 5% off gas and sporting goods among other good cards.  They even have a 2% cash-back if you deposit to account.

With a user-name like SARGE, are you ex-military?  You didn't mention any of the dozens of military-affiliated lenders like USAA, Navy Federal, PenFed, Fort Knox CU, AFBA (like I have), or many many more. 

Gee, I hope I haven't started something! 

Don't trash your great scores with too many apps!  LOL Smiley LOL

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 7 of 77
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I take a very different approach!

I have more cards than you, but they are "clustered" at only six issuers (falling to five when I close Savor...and maybe a few others).

Fewer websites to check, fewer passwords to remember, and lots of spend earning MRs and URs.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 77
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I take a very different approach!

I have more cards than you, but they are "clustered" at only six issuers (falling to five when I close Savor...and maybe a few others).

Fewer websites to check, fewer passwords to remember, and lots of spend earning MRs and URs.

Different strokes for different folks.Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 77
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@sarge12  I'm confused.  Why do you want more cards?  Are you just collecting them or do they serve a purpose?  You don't mention which cards you have with which banks or where your monthly spending goes as far as cash-back rewards cards, so we can't help you there.  Many of my cards were for high SUB...just to make a profit and the SD the card. Free money.

If you're just collecting cards, there are plenty of more options! 

You're just getting started.  Smiley Happy

As mentioned, double-dip some of the large banks. I have double dipped a few, but limit my exposure to two cards each.

Most will give you at least two or three cards.

You have nothing from Synchrony or Commenity.  PayPal Mastercard 2% CB? Lowe's? Etc ...  I never ever get store cards, or any Comenity or Synchrony...too many bad posts on here. All my cards are Visa, MC, Discover, or Amex.

Here is the full list of 163 Commenity-bank partner credit cards including

Big Lots, DSW Shoes, Eddie Bauer, Red Roof Inn, Toyota, and

Victoria's Secret.  Smiley Wink

https://www.crediful.com/comenity-bank-credit-cards/

How about one of the new Goldman-Sachs Apple Cards? Do not have an apple phone, so the usefullness would be limited.

I saw nothing on your list from First National Bank of Omaha FNBO or their subsidiary First Bank that issues the Ducks Unlimited cards with 5% off gas and sporting goods among other good cards.  They even have a 2% cash-back if you deposit to account. Being Disabled, and only driving maybe 1000 miles annually, it would be little use.

With a user-name like SARGE, are you ex-military?  You didn't mention any of the dozens of military-affiliated lenders like USAA, Navy Federal, PenFed, Fort Knox CU, AFBA (like I have), or many many more. No military, (Mod cut-Please no personal info here on the board)

Gee, I hope I haven't started something! 

Don't trash your great scores with too many apps!  LOL Smiley LOL Nope...been getting 2 cards a year for about 5 years, and only had 1 score drop to 796, which recovered to 800+ in about 6 months. My scores stay in the 800-835 range.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 10 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.