Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't get my cards to report zero

tag
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

Re: I can't get my cards to report zero

This just happened to me and I paid off a card to zero, but when my next statement came out it showed I owe $6.95.  So I paid that amount today and tomorrow I am closing that account.   I am done screwing around with CCC's.  See ya Barclay's and Hooters!!  Cap One gets to stay only because they just converted my crappy starter card to a Venture One no AF card with a lower interest rate.  One card is all I will carry for awhile.  Feels good since I was carrying 11 CC's 3 months ago.  No more stress for me!!

Barclays US Air $17K| TTCU $15K| Citi Diamond $10.5K| Discover IT $9000| CapOne $2K| Best Buy $2K
Message 11 of 26
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: I can't get my cards to report zero

I see I'm not the only one confused.  I just got off the phone AGAIN with JCP and they refuse to let me talk to a supervisor.  They refuse to take extra payment.  If I can't figure out an online payment with my bank, then I'm going to the PO at lunch to get a check sent STAT. 

Thank you everyone.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 12 of 26
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: I can't get my cards to report zero update: please help

I'm never going to get a check into them in time.  Online Billpay at the bank is not immediate, a check gets mailed and it could take 5-7 days I was told.  Does that sound right to you guys?????

Should I just CLOSE this account right now so it surely is to report ZERO? 

I really need help on this one.  Thanks.  if someone can think of something I can do.  Why didn't I realize this BEFORE?

Message 13 of 26
kjm79
Valued Contributor

If you are going to be charged any residual interest, you will be charged whether the account is open or closed.  So don't close the account in an attempt to prevent that charge. 

My online bill pay is sent electronically overnight to JCP.  I bank with Chase.  There are some accounts, like NFCU that takes two days, and another account that actaully has to mail a check.  Depends on the creditor and how they accept payments.  But JCP goes overnight.  It's a little time consuming to set up bill pay initially.  But once all of your accounts are there, making payments is easy. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 14 of 26
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Booner72 wrote:

I'm never going to get a check into them in time.  Online Billpay at the bank is not immediate, a check gets mailed and it could take 5-7 days I was told.  Does that sound right to you guys?????

Should I just CLOSE this account right now so it surely is to report ZERO? 

I really need help on this one.  Thanks.  if someone can think of something I can do.  Why didn't I realize this BEFORE?

If you can't get the payment to them in time then my suggestion is to stop worrying about it because it's something you have no control over. It's not like you'll have a late payment because of this.

What you can do is stop using this card at least until the next statement posts. That statement should only have this interest on there. Once you pay that then you will have a zero balance because there will be no new charges subject to possible interest.

Edited for a typo.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 15 of 26
Booner72
Senior Contributor

MV:  I agree that I shouldn't be using the card.  I haven't charged anything on it for a year at least.

However, stopping worrying is not within the realm of possibilities.  Unfortunately for everyone's sakes - including ya'll, the LO, the realtor's wife, my family, coworkers etc etc etc.

Message 16 of 26
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Booner72 wrote:

MV:  I agree that I shouldn't be using the card.  I haven't charged anything on it for a year at least.

However, stopping worrying is not within the realm of possibilities.  Unfortunately for everyone's sakes - including ya'll, the LO, the realtor's wife, my family, coworkers etc etc etc.

Then I'm more confused than normal. Smiley Happy  I don't understand how a card could continue to collect interest with no charges.

As far as worrying I guess the Marine Corps taught me how to put things out of my mind when I have no control over them. You sleep much better that way.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 17 of 26
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

Then I'm more confused than normal. Smiley Happy  I don't understand how a card could continue to collect interest with no charges.

I think the OP carried a balance on the card and has been paying on it the past year (but hasn't charged anything new on it).  And out of curiosity, how much residual interest are we exactly talking here?  Is the amount enough to stress yourself out about?  I just can't see a residual interest charge be significant enough to throw off someone's UTIL.  And is there a specific reason, sorry if I missed it, that you need this card to report ZERO this month?

Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Message 18 of 26
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

Sorry, sounds like you're trying to purchase a house and thats why you need the zero reporting.  Ok.  Worst case scenario, you're charged some residual interest.  You can a) pay it and do a rapid rescore or 2) try calling JCP/GEMB up and explaining the situation and see if they'll update the balance.  I still can't see some residual interest having that much of an effect on UTIL though.  Unless you carried an extrememly HIGH balance and had extremely eleveated APR (more so than standard GEMB APR).  I understand exactly how frustrating this could be, but I don't think it's going to cost you a house, so you it shouldn't be stressing you out so.....try to breathe and see what actually happens and then go from there.  There's always a solution. 

Message 19 of 26
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@kjm79 wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

I think the OP carried a balance on the card and has been paying on it the past year (but hasn't charged anything new on it).  And out of curiosity, how much residual interest are we exactly talking here?  Is the amount enough to stress yourself out about?  I just can't see a residual interest charge be significant enough to throw off someone's UTIL.  And is there a specific reason, sorry if I missed it, that you need this card to report ZERO this month?

This scenario would explain everything and I completely missed that. All I can say in my defense is "Too many threads, too many posts".  Smiley Tongue

From a BK years ago to:

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.