cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I canceled my most of credit cards with balance.

tag
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Re: I canceled my most of credit cards with balance.

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

Do you have any latest on any of them? If not, it's a matter of chipping away at the balances, of course it will require extra time & dedication but IT CAN BE DONE more then you think.

+1.  OP, I remember when I started rebuilding I felt like I would never get it paid off (I was $25K in the red).    I definitely had to sacrifice A LOT.  I tracked everything I spent, got a 2nd job at a hardware store on the weekends, and used every available dollar to pay off debt.  But I was able to get in all paid off about 2.5 years.

$10K should be a piece of cake! Smiley Wink  Just kidding!  But do what you have to do to pay it off as quickly as possible.  Anyway good luck with your challenge...

Message 21 of 38
Jeff007245
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@murat wrote:
I dont trust my self.I might use them.I owe 10000 and I still have some cards.my total limit is 11000.I have to pay them off first.I want major cc not crapy one.

This is key... who cares about your credit score simply because of util because everything is closed but still has balances... that will change as you pay it down and if you have not missed payments and don't ever miss payments you will come out with steller credit on the other end but you said it yourself you closed them because you don't trust yourself... what do you need good credit for if you can't stop yourself from using it.

I think based on you wanting to get out of debt and you don't think you can do it with open credit you did the right thing... stop focusing on the credit score since you don't want credit currently!

geesh everyone, lets start OP's journey to being debt free with a little more positive spin!!

But the OP does want credit... They said it themselves. "I want major CC not crappy ones"... By the looks of the situation, it's going to take some time to get the Prime cards, and OP made it even harder to get the Prime cards be maxing and closing these "crappy" cards with high utilization and debt.

There is no such thing as "crappy" cards. Every single card has a reason they are in the market place. No one is entitled to any Prime or any card for that matter, hence, the existence of credit scores. By calling the cards you had "crappy", you in turn called yourself a crappy borrower.

Garden
2/16/14
|*****1/2014 - NPSL*****| *4/2011 6,000 CL* |*11/2011 - 5,000 CL*| *9/2012 - 850 CL* | *1/2014 - 500 CL* |*2/2014 - 6,000 CL*|
Message 22 of 38
angelcred10
Regular Contributor

you guys see any chance OP can get a BT card...?

That would help and then cut up the transfer card..

unfortunately I see too high utilization being an issue.

Or how about a single loan whos interest can offset all of the cards interest?

By the way are any of these 0% or are they all interest??

Starting Score: 635 Current Score: 659 Discover Pull
Goal Score:720s
Tried to use Images but it was all Wibbly, Wobbly, and Timey-Wimey.
Message 23 of 38
Jeff007245
Regular Contributor

@angelcred10 wrote:

No chance for approval on any cards, even BT card. Their utilization is maxed out on every single card. Wish BT cards would have different requirements, but they are usually offered to people who are already using credit responsibly and don't really need them.

Garden
2/16/14
|*****1/2014 - NPSL*****| *4/2011 6,000 CL* |*11/2011 - 5,000 CL*| *9/2012 - 850 CL* | *1/2014 - 500 CL* |*2/2014 - 6,000 CL*|
Message 24 of 38
angelcred10
Regular Contributor

yeah, I thought not but worth looking at Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 635 Current Score: 659 Discover Pull
Goal Score:720s
Tried to use Images but it was all Wibbly, Wobbly, and Timey-Wimey.
Message 25 of 38
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with previous posters...get as many CCs reopened as possible.  If you're past 30 days of these CCs being closed, you probably won't be able to reopen without reapplying. 

And yes, don't use these and pay down as aggresively as possible. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 26 of 38
john398
Senior Contributor

@angelcred10 wrote:

Lending club could of helped I belive but now it maybe too late not sure, depending oin his scores I guess

Message 27 of 38
red259
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@murat wrote:
I dont trust my self.I might use them.I owe 10000 and I still have some cards.my total limit is 11000.I have to pay them off first.I want major cc not crapy one.

This is key... who cares about your credit score simply because of util because everything is closed but still has balances... that will change as you pay it down and if you have not missed payments and don't ever miss payments you will come out with steller credit on the other end but you said it yourself you closed them because you don't trust yourself... what do you need good credit for if you can't stop yourself from using it.

I think based on you wanting to get out of debt and you don't think you can do it with open credit you did the right thing... stop focusing on the credit score since you don't want credit currently!

geesh everyone, lets start OP's journey to being debt free with a little more positive spin!!

+1 Yes, we need to be cognizant of the fact that everyone is different. Just because many of us are addicted to credit cards that does not mean everyone should have them. If OP feels that they can not control their spending with open credit cards then closing them out was probably for the best. The credit score will rise with the paying down of the balances. Its always best to be honest with ourselves and while OP took a drastic action I think they are getting serious about their situation and moving to rectify as best as possible and that is a positive. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 28 of 38
fot1
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@murat wrote:

+1 Yes, we need to be cognizant of the fact that everyone is different. Just because many of us are addicted to credit cards that does not mean everyone should have them. If OP feels that they can not control their spending with open credit cards then closing them out was probably for the best. The credit score will rise with the paying down of the balances. Its always best to be honest with ourselves and while OP took a drastic action I think they are getting serious about their situation and moving to rectify as best as possible and that is a positive. 

The only thing that can raise the scores here is AAoA, paying on the balances won't help the scores at all,  Even if the OP payed %90 of each balance tomorrow the scores wouldn't improve at all..

Too many to list..
Message 29 of 38
Jeff007245
Regular Contributor

@fot1 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@murat wrote:

The only thing that can raise the scores here is AAoA, paying on the balances won't help the scores at all,  Even if the OP payed %90 of each balance tomorrow the scores wouldn't improve at all..

+ 1 - This here is the correct answer. The cards are "closed". One cannot be scored on utilization when they don't have any revolvers opened. Paying off the balance will do nothing with his scores since credit available balance will be at 0.

This thread should be a Lesson Learned for everyone.

- NEVER CLOSE CARDS THAT HAVE A BALANCE!

- PAY DEBT IN FULL FIRST PRIOR TO CLOSING!

& Most Importantly

- LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS

Garden
2/16/14
Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.