Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I do cheap things with my Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do cheap things with my Amex

I would use it for McDonald's dollar meal; shop at Target and Walmart weekly; use it at safeway to get a roll of bread; use it at the local coffee shop (not starbucks) for a small latte........it's probably the reason why AMEX never auto CLI me,and has my CL stuck at $4000 for 7 years, approved me a new SPG card with a CL $2500 while charging me $65 annual feeSmiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Re: I do cheap things with my Amex

Maybe with all of their data mining, crystal ball gazing, and statistical predictors, you've pigeon-holed yourself as a cheapskate? LOL

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrShush wrote:

Maybe with all of their data mining, crystal ball gazing, and statistical predictors, you've pigeon-holed yourself as a cheapskate? LOL

yeah!  I hope one day Amex would talk to me like "what can we do for you "cheapskate" when I call the CSR! that would be fun!

Message 3 of 10
kbell
New Contributor

I use my Amex Blue every other month or two, generally putting less than $50. During the past two years, I have not charged more than $175 in a month. Amex has not touched me yet, though they have every reason to do so. I'm like the prom date that gets ignored.

Recently, I did a simulated charge on my card to see if I could make a $18,000 purchase and it was "approved." Now, all I have to do is find a dealer who is willing to let me charge the entire amount for a Civic on my Blue card via the American Express Auto Purchasing Program...18,000 points would be nice.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrShush wrote:

I think that's how it works. I noticed that my CLI button disappeared after I had not traveled in a while.

Message 5 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I would use it for McDonald's dollar meal; shop at Target and Walmart weekly; use it at safeway to get a roll of bread; use it at the local coffee shop (not starbucks) for a small latte........it's probably the reason why AMEX never auto CLI me,and has my CL stuck at $4000 for 7 years, approved me a new SPG card with a CL $2500 while charging me $65 annual feeSmiley Very Happy

I don't ever remember reading about an AmEx auto CLI.

At the moment, I don't have a luv button either. I suppose it's been too soon since I hit it. But I've used my Blue (and Gold before that) in all sorts of tacky places, and I did go from $2500 to $5000..

But it might help to run some big charges through.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx CLI button disappeared as they want you to call and talk about it first. it was there about 4 months ago but they removed most literature relating to it from the site.

Message 7 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

A-ha, thanks for that info!

Nope, I don't introduce the topic with any CSR's. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm...its always good to know that nobody else uses their membership points to pay for lawnmower gas fill-ups...

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have a love button either on AMEX, ever since they replaced it with that "Check your spending ability" link. My last CLI with AMEX was almost a year ago? Definitely over 6 months.

I use my AMEX everywhere it's accepted, from the high end stores to bi-weekly Walmart trips for groceries. All McD/junkfood trips, even the middle of the night ones go on AMEX if the vendor accepts it. No AA so far (knock on wood). Just run a bunch of charges through them and PIF every month (before statement for FICO game), and so far it seems to be working for me Smiley Happy

PS: How do you buy gas with points? XD

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.