cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I do not have a credit card. I have a long credit history. What should I choose?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not have a credit card. I have a long credit history. What should I choose?

I do not have a credit card. I am looking to see what my best choices will be. I would like to try and get a CL higher than $2,000. 

Here are my stats:

Ex 695

Tu 700

Eq 687

I have one student loan of $19,000.

One charge off from 5 years ago at two bureaus

My average account is 8 years old. My oldest account is 14 years old.

I have a car loan and several student loans that have been paid and no lates.

Thanks for the help

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

Re: I do not have a credit card. I have a long credit history. What should I choose?

@Anonymous wrote:

I do not have a credit card. I am looking to see what my best choices will be. I would like to try and get a CL higher than $2,000. 

Here are my stats:

Ex 695

Tu 700

Eq 687

Thanks for the help

It will be very hard to get a Credit Card with a $2,000+ limit without any revolving history. If I may ask, what was the Charge off about and which report is clean? 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I do not have a credit card. I have a long credit history. What should I choose?

Trans Union is clean. The charge off is from an old Capital One $500 cl. What is the most likely thing I will be able to get. The CL doesn't really matter at this point. I also have access to a credit union which has more lax qualifications. 

Message 3 of 7
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

Are you eligible for NFCU?
If you can get in with them they will probably be the best choice along with the most generous lines. Outside of that I would try to see if you prequalify for a Bank of America card. The reason is that if you were denied for them they would probably approve you for a secured card at least. I see recommend you familiarize yourself with the "Backdoor numbers thread" as that will enable you to do a recon if you were to be denied or get less than favorable terms. The best bet for most people starting to build credit or rebuilding credit would be Capital One. Obviously that route is a bit difficult given the CO. Outside of that your local credit union would probably be the best as they are more personal.
Message 4 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I recommend an amex charge card if you dont mind a fee and / or Barclay's rewards mastercard. Are your scores from myFico or are they from another Internet site? Is the chargeoff paid?
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 7
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Here are my stats:

Ex 695

Tu 700

Eq 687

Thanks for the help

Just curious where you got those scores from. If they didn't come directly from a lender or this website than they are fako scores and may not be representative of your true fico score.

If you have the cash, a secured credit card with a 2k+ deposit would be a good way to get higher unsecured limits in a shorter amount of time. 

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I have more than one secured card will this be better for my score and being able to get unsecured offers?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.