Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't understand why?

tag
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

I don't understand why?

Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving,

Now that Discover is offering your TU credit score, why is it that they have to do HP's for CLI's? How can they update your score and not be able to use that same info for a CLI? I can see if it's a FAKO like AmEx's Credit Secure, but this is supposedly an actual TU FICO. Thank you for your replies and help, as always.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
isoldmyatlas
Frequent Contributor

Re: I don't understand why?

I think a big part of the reason they do it is because it serves as a notification that you are actively seeking credit.  This serves as a flag to other credit companies, and they all benefit from this.

TU: 793 (6/13/17) | EQ: 787 (7/17/17) | EX: 788 (6/15/18)

Cap1 Quicksilver, $4,750 (4/2012); Discover IT, $40,000 (10/2012); Chase Amazon Rewards, $14,600 (10/2012); AMEX Hilton HHonors, $15,000 (11/2012); AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $15,000 (01/2013); Barclaycard Arrival+, $10,000 (07/2013); Citi Home Depot $8,000 (06/2018)
Message 2 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

You can ask for a SP CLI with Discover every 3 months policy has changed

I haven't waiting to see what they do 

But call and ask do you have any offer for SP CLI's

Good luck

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 8
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@isoldmyatlas wrote:

I think a big part of the reason they do it is because it serves as a notification that you are actively seeking credit.  This serves as a flag to other credit companies, and they all benefit from this.

Ah yes...that makes sense. I didn't think of that, thanks.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 4 of 8
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Good luck

Hey Journey,

Yes...I've been calling in for a SP CLI since August and they always say it will be a HP. They also say my account is "on the list" for review. For some reason, I don't believe that mularkey...lol.

Message 5 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Good luck

Hey Journey,

Yes...I've been calling in for a SP CLI since August and they always say it will be a HP. They also say my account is "on the list" for review. For some reason, I don't believe that mularkey...lol.

Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

In most cases if they ask for an HP its because of the amount of the request 

How much are you asking for if you don't mind me asking?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 8
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Every time I've called Discover and asked for a small increase for a SP, they always say it has to be a HP.

So far, I've always managed to get a small increase ($1000, then $2000) from the HP's, but no matter how many times I ask if there is any way to get any increase without a HP, they are firm about it.

My Discover is at $5000 now, so no complaints. But getting a customer requested SP CLI from Discover isn't easy.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 7 of 8
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Good luck

Hey Journey,

Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

In most cases if they ask for an HP its because of the amount of the request 

How much are you asking for if you don't mind me asking?

That's just it...I can see if I were asking to get a $10K jump or something major like that, but I asked to go from $1.7k to only $3K. A HP for that minimal amount would be tragic...lol!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.