cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I dont have Citi double cash card or Alliant Visa Platinum card, but still have intrest on them

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I dont have Citi double cash card or Alliant Visa Platinum card, but still have intrest on them

I decided to just go back to my QuickSilver. Minimum redemptions are incredibly annoying and I have very little spend that isn’t earning more on other cards so the .5% loss isn’t a big deal to me.
Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I dont have Citi double cash card or Alliant Visa Platinum card, but still have intrest on them

Normally who need 2% cash back on anything, already have some cards for grocery, dining, gas, amazon, travel... 

They just need something better than 1% or 1.5% for any purchases not on the list. 

Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

But 2% cards all have hassles.

PayPal Cashback requires dealing with random reporting, no transaction notifications, redemption to PayPal account, hassles if you ever have fraud or merchant disputes, etc

Citi DC - $25 minimum redemption, you lose the 1% when you apply it as a statement credit, other Citi annoyances

PenFed - have to keep $500 in their checking, have to deal with PenFed

Alliant - $20 minimum redemption, known to be a conservative lender

BBVA - have to have a checking account with BBVA to get 2% instead of 1.5%

Key - same as BBVA

If I had travel expenses, I would get the NFCU Flagship but they also have a $50 minimum redemption unless you go for gift cards at $25 (Dominos is available at $10) and you have to find a way to offset the annual fee (not hard with travel).

My QuickSilver may only be 1.5% but cash back posts when the purchase does and has no minimum redemptions, they have an excellent app, disputes with Capital One are very easy (I have had to deal with them twice), they have transaction notifications and did I mention a great app?
Message 13 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I also checked Fidelity Rewards card, at this page: https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/faqs-rewards-credit-cards

"In order to redeem Points for a cash deposit into your eligible Fidelity account(s), you must have a minimum of 5,000 Points. However, rewards offers begin at 2,500 Points if you choose to redeem your Points for travel options, merchandise, gift cards, or a statement credit."

that means $50 to  Fidelity account or $25 to statement credit. Still sucks

It is worse than that makes it look, as if you redeem for a statement credit, you only get half the value (otherwise why bother redeeming to Fidelity!)   On the old Fidelity Amex, there was a point where it became 2% for both, a few hundred dollars.   Not sure if that is still true on this card.

I replaced my Fidelity spend with Paypal.   Just depends on what annoys you, as, as stated, all have some issue relative to others.

But to me, the issue with replacing with QS is a 25% reduction in rewards, which, for me,  is way too much for any added convenience!

Message 14 of 29
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My QuickSilver may only be 1.5% but cash back posts when the purchase does and has no minimum redemptions, they have an excellent app, disputes with Capital One are very easy (I have had to deal with them twice), they have transaction notifications and did I mention a great app?

They pull all 3 bureaus for a card too !

Message 15 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker

My English may not be good enough...
I think you misunderstood this expression. What it actually said is that if you want to use cashback to offset your consumption, you don't have to wait until it accumulates to $50, as long as it reaches $25.

Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kforce wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They pull all 3 bureaus for a card too !

That doesn’t bother me. They gave me my first $10K SL in June for that pull on each bureau. 

Message 17 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My English may not be good enough...
I think you misunderstood this expression. What it actually said is that if you want to use cashback to offset your consumption, you don't have to wait until it accumulates to $50, as long as it reaches $25.

If this was to me:    The thresholds are actually points, 5000 (earned by spending $2,500) for movement to Fidelity, 2500 points (earned by spending $1250) for other redemptions.   However, if you redeem the 5000 points to a Fidelity account, you will get $50.    If you redeem 2,500 points for statement credit, you will get $12.50 (so 1% earned on the $1250 spent).   So half the points give a quarter of the rewards

Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you redeem 2,500 points for statement credit, you will get $12.50” 

There is no problem before this sentence, but I don't know how you got this sentence.
It seems that you redeem 2,500 points for statement credit, you should get $25.

Message 19 of 29
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Speaking as someone who generally redeems in larger "increments" of flights and hotels...

If accumulating $20 or $25 of cash back on a card will be difficult, you might reconsider whether the card will really be worthwhile. You might instead go for something with a nice fat bonus.

This exactly. I don't love redemption thresholds anymore than anyone else, but if you are barely able to reach $25 with a card, you're probably spreading yourself too thin.

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.