cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel like Amex is playing a joke on me

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted
Established Member

I feel like Amex is playing a joke on me

So I applied for and was approved for the Amex Plat card. I have the card for about 3 weeks now and today in the mail I recieved a targeted offer for the Plat card with a 100,000 MR sign up bonus...

 

Can I call and ask for this to be applied to my account or am I just SOL?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: I feel like Amex is playing a joke on me


@lonewolf210 wrote:

So I applied for and was approved for the Amex Plat card. I have the card for about 3 weeks now and today in the mail I recieved a targeted offer for the Plat card with a 100,000 MR sign up bonus...

 

Can I call and ask for this to be applied to my account or am I just SOL?


Doesn't hurt to try YMMV

I tried 2 days after approval and told no twice and I hadn't even received the card yet

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 12
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: I feel like Amex is playing a joke on me


@lonewolf210 wrote:

Can I call and ask for this to be applied to my account or am I just SOL?


You might be able to just apply for the new card (which will be a soft-pull) - then, if approved, simply cancel your existing account.

 

 

Message 3 of 12
Highlighted
Established Member

Re: I feel like Amex is playing a joke on me


@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

@lonewolf210 wrote:

Can I call and ask for this to be applied to my account or am I just SOL?


You might be able to just apply for the new card (which will be a soft-pull) - then, if approved, simply cancel your existing account.

 

 


I thought it was only a sp if denied?

Message 4 of 12
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: I feel like Amex is playing a joke on me


@lonewolf210 wrote:

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

@lonewolf210 wrote:

Can I call and ask for this to be applied to my account or am I just SOL?


You might be able to just apply for the new card (which will be a soft-pull) - then, if approved, simply cancel your existing account.

 

 


I thought it was only a sp if denied? Correct and HP if approved


 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 12
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: I feel like Amex is playing a joke on me

Read the fine print. Most of those offers will say something about not being eligible if you already have that card.


What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
Moderator Emerita

Re: I feel like Amex is playing a joke on me

Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: I feel like Amex is playing a joke on me

100,000 MR??? I'm frothing at the mouth right now... o.O
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000



Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: I feel like Amex is playing a joke on me


@lonewolf210 wrote:

So I applied for and was approved for the Amex Plat card. I have the card for about 3 weeks now and today in the mail I recieved a targeted offer for the Plat card with a 100,000 MR sign up bonus...

 

Can I call and ask for this to be applied to my account or am I just SOL?


Amex will sometimes honor an offer you receive or find online after you get a card. However, in my experience, they won't promise you anything. They'll say "Wait until after you've met the terms of that sign up bonus, then ask us again.

 

It won't hurt to go ahead and ask now, but you'll probably need to contact them again later to actually get that bonus. You'll at least be able to point back to your original call or email and say, "See, I asked you about this when I got the offer."

 

Message 9 of 12
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: I feel like Amex is playing a joke on me

They used to be good about matching offers, but as of late not so much. Not sure why, as its just another nail in their coffin as more and more people flock to Chase (who will match better offers within 103 days of opening the card)...

 

For me (and many others), Chase has better transfer partners, thus UR points are worth more than MR points. And thenAmex shut down their shopping portal, and as the icing, my interactions with AMEX CS have been overwhelmingly negative. They need to step up as Chase is really pulling ahead of AMEX, esp for premium cards.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.