Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel tricked

tag
armyguy90
Contributor

I feel tricked

So I was browsing around for an engagement ring at Kay Jewelers, and the lady asked me if she could run my credit to see how much I would be approved for to know my proce range. I said that was fine. I was approved for 3500, but in the end decided not to buy anything. Little did I know by letting her run my credit I opened a credit card with them even tho I didnt purchase anytnhing!

My question is If I close this card, or leave it open, is it going to hurt my score as far as AAOA goes? I dont want this card at all, and will most likely never use it. Whats the best thing I can do?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Re: I feel tricked

It's sort of too late for that. The first clue should of been when she asked to run your credit. I'm assuming you had to fill out something or answer verbally some questions.  It may hurt your AAoA. You may want to ask others.  I would say yes. Any time you open a new account it will always affect your AAoA plus you get the "New Account" ding on your credit report.  I would just leave it open. It will help your revolving debt and lower your revolving ratio if it is not used.  

It's really up to you what you want to do with it though. 

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 2 of 12
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Stay single. 

Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@armyguy90 wrote:

So I was browsing around for an engagement ring at Kay Jewelers, and the lady asked me if she could run my credit to see how much I would be approved for to know my proce range. I said that was fine. I was approved for 3500, but in the end decided not to buy anything. Little did I know by letting her run my credit I opened a credit card with them even tho I didnt purchase anytnhing!

My question is If I close this card, or leave it open, is it going to hurt my score as far as AAOA goes? I dont want this card at all, and will most likely never use it. Whats the best thing I can do?

I agree that the ding to your credit has already occurred and you might as well keep it. Unless it comes with an AF of course. It will increase your overall credit limit by $3,500. Even if you never use it and it's eventually closed for inactivity it will still report for up to 10 years after closing and that helps your AAoA and credit length history.

For more information read this thread about Closing Credit Cards

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 12
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

The damage has been done so no use worrying about it.  But always remember anytime asks to run your credit you are 'in the game' for new credit and all that entails.  You have to jealously guard granting access to any new, or existing, creditor.  It's YOUR credit so you have to own it and only ask for more credit when you need it.  Lesson learned.

Message 5 of 12
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Stay single. 

Smiley Happy

AMEN!!!!!!

+10000000000

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aw, c'mon you guys.

DH says marriage is the best thing that ever happened to him.

I wholeheartedly agree. 

It IS the best thing that ever happened to him.  Smiley Very Happy 

JK.  It's the best thing that ever happened to me, too!

Message 7 of 12
GregB
Valued Contributor

Marriage is great, unless it doesn't work out.

If you get divorced that can still work out if both parties behave like adults during the entire process. About 10% of the men do that and about 1% of the women do that. Since you need to have BOTH of them behave like adults, that means it is simple for about 1 out of a million divorces. The big problem is that even if you act like an adult 99% of the time, the other 1% can really make a mess. The divorce lawyers have learned how to maximize the impact of that temporary insanity.

Killing all the divorce lawyers would also help. Let's not forget the Family Law Judges, too.

Message 8 of 12
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Aw, c'mon you guys.

DH says marriage is the best thing that ever happened to him.

I wholeheartedly agree. 

It IS the best thing that ever happened to him.  Smiley Very Happy 

JK.  It's the best thing that ever happened to me, too!

That is one sweet post!   Smiley Happy

(Saving this one for my own, for Valentine's Day next year, for my honey.)

Message 9 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@GregB wrote:

Marriage is great, unless it doesn't work out.

If you get divorced that can still work out if both parties behave like adults during the entire process. About 10% of the men do that and about 1% of the women do that. Since you need to have BOTH of them behave like adults, that means it is simple for about 1 out of a million divorces. The big problem is that even if you act like an adult 99% of the time, the other 1% can really make a mess. The divorce lawyers have learned how to maximize the impact of that temporary insanity.

Killing all the divorce lawyers would also help. Let's not forget the Family Law Judges, too.

Disagree about the M/F ratio, but otherwise, I do agree.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.