Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I fell into the Credit One web!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I fell into the Credit One web!!

So I am on the bus this evening, headed home from work and Credit One sends me a text,"your credit score has been updated".  So being the excited person that I am about my credit now, I log in to my account from my smartphone.  And what do I see, "your excellent credit gets you a $200 credit limit increase!" (fees apply)

So I click on accept and they are offering me an increase from $550 to $750 with me paying a $19.95 fee.  Because I thought the fee would be more like $75 I jumped on the offer.  I am now wondering if I was just a victime of the Credit One "fee monster"  or was it a wise move?  
I am feeling as if I shouldn't have taken the offer? 

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: I fell into the Credit One web!!

Why do you even have a Credit One card? Your scores are in the low 600s, while not great, that should be out of Credit One territory.

Message 2 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So I am on the bus this evening, headed home from work and Credit One sends me a text,"your credit score has been updated".  So being the excited person that I am about my credit now, I log in to my account from my smartphone.  And what do I see, "your excellent credit gets you a $200 credit limit increase!" (fees apply)

So I click on accept and they are offering me an increase from $550 to $750 with me paying a $19.95 fee.  Because I thought the fee would be more like $75 I jumped on the offer.  I am now wondering if I was just a victime of the Credit One "fee monster"  or was it a wise move?  

Definitely Victim. You should NEVER have to pay for a CLI with anything more than a HP if the lender requires it.

Message 3 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for a Credit One card in 07/13 when I had only a secured BoA card(10/12) and a brand new Cap One(06/13).  I needed to rebuild my credit and I wasn't aware fo this site as of yet.  I have used it up to this time, but coming to this site, I know that I need something else.  However, because I have BoA($500), CapOne($750), CreditOne (550) and just recently a CapOne QS1($500).  

I actually am beginning to build my credit but I am not in a position(at least I don't think that I am?) to get approved for a Barclay's, Chase Freedom or something else good as of yet?  So I hold on to Credit One.  

Am I missing something?

@yfan wrote:

Why do you even have a Credit One card? Your scores are in the low 600s, while not great, that should be out of Credit One territory.

Message 4 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was approved for a Credit One card in 07/13 when I had only a secured BoA card(10/12) and a brand new Cap One(06/13).  I needed to rebuild my credit and I wasn't aware fo this site as of yet.  I have used it up to this time, but coming to this site, I know that I need something else.  However, because I have BoA($500), CapOne($750), CreditOne (550) and just recently a CapOne QS1($500).  

I actually am beginning to build my credit but I am not in a position(at least I don't think that I am?) to get approved for a Barclay's, Chase Freedom or something else good as of yet?  So I hold on to Credit One.  

Am I missing something?

@yfan wrote:

Not at all. If you feel you still need CreditOne, then by all means hold on to them. yfan was just implying that you can do better than them with your scores.

Message 5 of 36
yfan
Valued Contributor

You definitely don't need Credit One. If it were me, I would keep the other cards and let this one go, even if it is your highest limit, technically. It's probably costing you more than it's worth.

Message 6 of 36
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Definitely Victim. You should NEVER have to pay for a CLI with anything more than a HP if the lender requires it.

Agree with Nixon.  There should never be a monetary cost to a CLI.  If offered again don't take it.

Message 7 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually agree with both of you, I paid the card off last week and I am looking to "sock drawer" it.  So aside for the fee that is on there, my intent is to NOT use it.  Also, because my AAoA is like 2.2 years, I didn't think this the proper time to close the account?

As for other cards, I have been studying this forum and taking note of what people are being approve for and with what credit scores.  My intent is to go into the summer with 670-690s and being my possible app spree?  

@yfan wrote:

You definitely don't need Credit One. If it were me, I would keep the other cards and let this one go, even if it is your highest limit, technically. It's probably costing you more than it's worth.

Message 8 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Am I missing something?

@yfan wrote:

I would say if you are in with capital one (a decent lender) and BoA (prime lender) then you do not need credit one. 

You could cancel the credit one card and still be well on your way to rebuilding nicely. 

In six months get cli on both the BoA (is this unsecured now?) and the cap1 and then a year from now you will have an excellent chance of getting in with barclay's, chase or amex. 

Message 9 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

What cards in the next 60-90 days with my scores look promising?

However, I am still working on my two derogs that are the main cause of my low scores right now

My credit profile:

BoA                              $500                0       

CapOne                       $750 

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.